Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #7021
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What about tkachuk, Calgary first to Ottawa for the 3rd and 5th. To remain competitive we would likely need to sign hall, although not ideal to replace a more expensive hall with Tkachuk it would allow us to still be a playoff contender. I would only do this if Drysdale and Byfield/Stutzle are available.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #7022
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Well, I mean - Lindholm wasn’t good at faceoffs this year and barely played centre and is pretty much a career RW - there has been no established ability to play centre at a high level for Lindholm.

I think Steinberg and Lou are out to lunch on talking about Lindholm in the same breath as Bergeron. Tkachuk is the closest thing we have to that quality of player, and like you said he’s a winger so the defensive responsibilities aren’t quite as high.

(and I really like Lindholm - but he’s an RW, and not in the same tier of player as Bergeron)
Ward is the one who always compares Lindholm to Bergeron. Ward also coached Both players.

I don’t know how you compare Tkachuk to Bergeron. Tkachuk is decent defensively but he’s no where in the class of Bergeron or Lindholm.

Lindholm has actually placed in the Selke (aka Patrice Bergeron award) voting, I don’t think Tkachuk has ever even received a single vote.

The ONLY reason why Lindholm plays the rw here is because he is the best defensive forward and they play him with the two worst defensive forwards on the team (Johnny and Mony) to compensate. That right there shows you how good he is defensively.

Last edited by 868904; 09-19-2020 at 08:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #7023
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This should be an eye opener for anyone who thinks these UFA's are getting $9 or 10 million AAV on long term deals this off season.

This climate will not allow that to happen unless they want to play for a bottom feeder or maaaaybe if they take a 1 year deal.

Imagine getting Petro for about $8 million AAV?

Man that'd be nice.

In a perfect world we could sign Petro and trade Hanifin for futures, sign Hall and trade Gaudreau for futures and then sign Markstrom.

Dream on I guess.
Agree. Except part about Hanifin....i think he should and will stay.

But your argument stands...Petro is right side. Also drives down the Brodie price.

And OEL makes what?
Old 09-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #7024
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
What about tkachuk, Calgary first to Ottawa for the 3rd and 5th. To remain competitive we would likely need to sign hall, although not ideal to replace a more expensive hall with Tkachuk it would allow us to still be a playoff contender. I would only do this if Drysdale and Byfield/Stutzle are available.
I don’t Hate it but Ottawa is too cheap they would never do it even though they probably should to have both Tkachuks
Old 09-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #7025
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way you make that deal with the sens is if you're rebuilding and you also have deals for Johnny and Monahan and whoever else you can move.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #7026
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The only way you make that deal with the sens is if you're rebuilding and you also have deals for Johnny and Monahan and whoever else you can move.
Why would you have to rebuild? I would only do this trade if Hall can be signed to replace some of the lost production from trading tkachuk. Not saying Byfield/Stutzle will be elite centres, but it's worth a shot, this group clearly can't get it done in the playoffs. As much faults as Gaudreau has, I think he is still a very valuable player. I would much rather have him then Monahan if management is exploring a core shake up. Which leaves me to trading Monahan, I can't see any situation where a team will trade for this guy while Calgary gets back a better 1st centre. Maybe someone can prove me wrong.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #7027
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I suggested this weeks ago although I wasn't including Calgary's first.

I don't see it a a rebuilding deal at all. Its definitely a retool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #7028
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I suggested this weeks ago although I wasn't including Calgary's first.

I don't see it a a rebuilding deal at all. Its definitely a retool.
I don't see Ottawa trading 3 and 5 for Tkachuk. I'd take it if they would
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #7029
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I don't see Ottawa trading 3 and 5 for Tkachuk. I'd take it if they would
I think that is why you would include Calgary's first to even out the trade... Tkachuk straight up for Ottawa's 3rd is a bad deal for Calgary, hence why you add Ottawa's 5th as well, to further even it out I think you have to include Calgary's first.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browntrout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #7030
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regardless of the fine-tuning needed to balance value, I see it as a good move for both teams.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #7031
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think there is a single player, or any asset for that matter, in the Flames organization that is more likely to be moved than Tkachuck. He's the heir apparent. It would kind of be like trading Jarome Iginla in 2003.

Extremely unlikely to happen and bit of a silly topic.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #7032
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade Tkachuk, one of the players with the highest GAF levels on the team, and then signing Taylor Hall.

That would be terrible.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #7033
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tkachuk will only get dealt if he tells the team he wants to play elsewhere. Otherwise he's the team's corberstone, franchise player. Listening to everyone around the team talk about him, its obvious the organization loves him.
It would take a mindblowing overpayment for the Flames to move him
Old 09-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #7034
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you've spent any time in this thread you would recognize that there is an abundance of silly topics. The unlikelihood of a trade happening doesn't preclude its discussion.

In reality though, it actually has a logic to it. There is an argument that the Flames need an elite C. There are 2 prospects available in the first 5 draft spots. The only asset valuable enough to garner those picks is Tkachuk.

It would be a massive blockbuster for sure, but seems discussion-worthy.

Also, I haven't even mentioned the reasons why Calgary might actually WANT to move Tkachuk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #7035
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think that is why you would include Calgary's first to even out the trade... Tkachuk straight up for Ottawa's 3rd is a bad deal for Calgary, hence why you add Ottawa's 5th as well, to further even it out I think you have to include Calgary's first.

Still don't think the Sens would, for financial reasons more than anything else. Whoever they draft is cheap for 3 years. Tkachuk is not. With the flat cap, Ottawa is going to have all sorts of chances to meet the floor without spending a lot of real dollars.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #7036
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm probably in the minority, and while I don't necessarily WANT to see Tkachuk moved, I am also not against it either as long as the return is worthwhile and stands a reasonable chance of landing the Flames a #1C or future #1C.

I've already watched this team try to build a contender around a star winger. It's not a recipe for success IMO. Plus in two seasons Tkachuk needs to be re-signed, and his contract will either be massive or a 1 year deal that takes him straight to UFA at 25 years old.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #7037
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

An NHL centre is expected to do have 6 or 7 elements to his game: score goals, take face-offs, distribute the puck, forecheck, backcheck, quickly assess dangers without the puck, track back deep to give the defence an outlet pass, gain the zone with possession.

Monahan does one of those very well, a couple decently, and the rest poorly.

Since it's mostly the things that don't show up on the stat sheet that Monahan does poorly, it's difficult for fans to talk about the big deficiencies in his play. But I'm confident that the Flames braintrust are aware of them. They know how severe of a handicap it is when opposing coaches lick their chops at line-matching against the Flames, knowing what a matchup advantage they have whenever the Flames top line is on the ice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #7038
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Trade Tkachuk, one of the players with the highest GAF levels on the team, and then signing Taylor Hall.

That would be terrible.
Calgary Flames pitch to Taylor Hall: ‘So the first thing we plan to do is trade Tkachuk for draft pi...’

Taylor Hal: *click.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:21 AM   #7039
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I don't think there is a single player, or any asset for that matter, in the Flames organization that is more likely to be moved than Tkachuck. He's the heir apparent. It would kind of be like trading Jarome Iginla in 2003.

Extremely unlikely to happen and bit of a silly topic.
You know what else is silly the flames playoff record. How did having an elite winger (Iginla) with medicore centres work out for this organization in the last 25 years?

I agree with you that he is the most valuable flame currently, but you have to give to get something of a tangible value. Nobody is giving us the moon for Gaudreau or Monahan, it simply is not happening.

For all the bashing we give to the Oilers, you know what I like their chances going deep in the playoffs with those two studs at centre. It is almost impossible to trade for really good first line centres, you pretty much have to take your chances and draft one.
The Following User Says Thank You to browntrout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #7040
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Pretty sure Stamkos has a full NMC
Good. When people want to acquire a ridiculously expensive contract for a guy who is always hurt you know the offseason is going to be painful around here.
Closed Thread