Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #681
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Get 16 GB of RAM, or AppleCare before those marginal CPU increases...the thing is wicked fast with the base CPU

Thanks sclitheroe! I am definitely going with the 16gigs of ram... I do a lot of video work.

From what I've read that seems to be the story on the processor... for $250 the difference doesn't seem overly noticeable.

I've since retired my 2009 macbook pro and hooked it up to a monitor (makes a great desktop that way) and am looking at one of the new retinas.

Looks to be around the 3k mark but I'm pretty excited. The 2009 one served me very well these last few years.
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #682
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
Looks to be around the 3k mark but I'm pretty excited. The 2009 one served me very well these last few years.
I had a 2009 era machine as well. The new one will blow it out of the water in all aspects. Best machine I've ever used.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #683
JazzyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone have any luck bootcamping Win 8 on their mac?
JazzyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #684
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/47140...m#.UaRlykDU-kE

iOS shaping up to be a nice reponse by apple. Widgets alone are very exciting
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #685
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple introducing Widgets? Welcome to 3 years ago.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #686
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Apple introducing Widgets? Welcome to 3 years ago.
Actually Android introduced widgets over 4 years ago

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...dgets-and.html

But of course Apple will still spin this as some magical innovation and probably try to patent them
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #687
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I don't care if they claim they invented the widget, just give me the damn things. Seeing what Google Now can do gives me the first pangs of jealousy I've experienced during the smart phone era.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #688
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I don't care if they claim they invented the widget, just give me the damn things. Seeing what Google Now can do gives me the first pangs of jealousy I've experienced during the smart phone era.
Google Now works great on the iPad (don't have an iPhone, but it works there too). It doesn't do push notifications currently, but you just pop it open when/where you want to access it - doesn't seem like a big deal to not have push.

I'm a huge fan of Google Now currently - this seems like the right direction for things to be headed.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #689
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Google Now works great on the iPad (don't have an iPhone, but it works there too). It doesn't do push notifications currently, but you just pop it open when/where you want to access it - doesn't seem like a big deal to not have push.

I'm a huge fan of Google Now currently - this seems like the right direction for things to be headed.
For me it breaks when you have to open an app. The google app on iOS actually does a lot of cool things, but the simple barrier of needing to open the app and then select the service is enough for me to just ignore it.

I should clarify I'm not looking for Google Now to function any better on the iOS devices, but rather something similar that's been unceremoniously stolen from Android.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #690
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Actually Android introduced widgets over 4 years ago

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...dgets-and.html

But of course Apple will still spin this as some magical innovation and probably try to patent them
Apple is hillariously late to the game with widgets but at least it's getting in there. I'd chalk it up to Apple arrogance; I'm sure they saw widgets as a fad or a gimmick. The masses have spoken though: widgets make the phone and tablet experience much better. A lot of the sizzle Droids have with me will likely dissapear when a widget can be used on ipads and iphones.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #691
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Like everything else they've stolen from Android, Apple's going to do widgets better.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #692
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Like everything else they've stolen from Android, Apple's going to do widgets better.
What else have they lifted from Android that they've then done better?

I'm honestly curious to know because the first thing that springs to mind is the pull down notification bar... and Apple's is woefully behind Android in that regard.

Android is actually moving beyond widget's because of how robust and full the notification center and quick settings menu is.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #693
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Actually, I'm just trolling.

I don't know enough about Android to tell you what Apple's stolen from Android. All I know is that when iOS gets a new feature, Android fans brag about how they've had it for years (usually by rooting something or something).
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #694
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Android is actually moving beyond widget's because of how robust and full the notification center and quick settings menu is.
That's how I see it. I was excited to try out widgets when I got my Nexus 4 but I really haven't found much of a use for them because pretty much everything I need is handled better elsewhere.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #695
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Actually, I'm just trolling.

I don't know enough about Android to tell you what Apple's stolen from Android. All I know is that when iOS gets a new feature, Android fans brag about how they've had it for years (usually by rooting something or something).
Haha oh okay, well fair enough I guess. For the record I must be an anomaly, I'm a two time Nexus device owner and I've never rooted either device. Anything I talk about is just from normal pure Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
That's how I see it. I was excited to try out widgets when I got my Nexus 4 but I really haven't found much of a use for them because pretty much everything I need is handled better elsewhere.
Yeah, I've only recently started to notice how I've started to use the quick settings menu a lot more then any widget lately.

The settings widget and my Pocket cast widget were two things I used daily. Both are much better served in the notification/quick settings pull down menu now.

When Pocket Cast did their big redesign a couple months back they actually dropped their widget. They brought it back due to demand but I don't use it much.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #696
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
There's some things widgets just do better. Email is nice. Calendars... Mint (a money app that tracks spending and accounts). Even a nice weather widget showing the full week forecast.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #697
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
There's some things widgets just do better. Email is nice. Calendars... Mint (a money app that tracks spending and accounts). Even a nice weather widget showing the full week forecast.
Yeah, my HD Weather widget is great. With quick links to my calendar, alarm clock etc, it's great.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #698
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What else have they lifted from Android that they've then done better?

I'm honestly curious to know because the first thing that springs to mind is the pull down notification bar... and Apple's is woefully behind Android in that regard.

This is the point, there are more elegant solutions than widgets. They are not late to the widget game, Apple has a long history of trying them. Apple used what are essentially widgets to achieve multitasking in the original Mac System 1 in 1984. Gadgets and dashboard has been in OSX for almost a decade and even Microsoft has had them since Vista. If anything, Apple lifted the modern widget from Yahoo/Konfabulator so I am unsure as to why anyone would think that Apple has lifted widgets from Android. Google did it best but it was hardly a new or innovative idea.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #699
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
This is the point, there are more elegant solutions than widgets. They are not late to the widget game, Apple has a long history of trying them. Apple used what are essentially widgets to achieve multitasking in the original Mac System 1 in 1984. Gadgets and dashboard has been in OSX for almost a decade and even Microsoft has had them since Vista. If anything, Apple lifted the modern widget from Yahoo/Konfabulator so I am unsure as to why anyone would think that Apple has lifted widgets from Android. Google did it best but it was hardly a new or innovative idea.
I wasn't the one who made the claim Apple lifted it from Android, I was responding to another post about that.

The rest of your post doesn't matter, since we're talking about mobile operating systems here. I am obviously aware there are more elegant solutions to widgets but the problem is iOS doesn't have those either. Widget's are great though when used properly. They are elegant solutions.

I'm excited to see what the next version of iOS will bring. As a former iPod, iPad and iPhone owner I am waiting to see what they do next. Another basic refresh just won't do.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #700
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't the one who made the claim Apple lifted it from Android, I was responding to another post about that.

The rest of your post doesn't matter, since we're talking about mobile operating systems here. I am obviously aware there are more elegant solutions to widgets but the problem is iOS doesn't have those either. Widget's are great though when used properly. They are elegant solutions.

I'm excited to see what the next version of iOS will bring. As a former iPod, iPad and iPhone owner I am waiting to see what they do next. Another basic refresh just won't do.
The post wasn't directed at you specifically other than the highlighted point was an important one.

The division between mobile and desktop OS is getting more and more blurred and arguing who "stole" what is futile. It's the implementation that's important and obviously Apple hasn't found an iOS one that they like. A better Notification Center (where iOS widgets currently exist) and further exposing an application's functionality from its icon in the Home Screen and Notification Center would go a long way to modernize iOS. 99% of iPhone users probably have the existing weather, sharing and stock widgets buried in a folder somewhere on the 10th Home Screen and turned off.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote