Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2022, 07:55 AM   #681
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Hanifin was pretty easily our best defender this series.
What?

Tanev was our best defender in this series, despite the game 4 PP goal against.

Then Gudbranson, despite the lack of overall talent he played nearly mistake-free playoff hockey. He got burned a few times by elite individual efforts, but that was on Sutter for not sheltering his third pair better.

Then Kylington, despite the game 4 rebound winner against. Once his partner quality went up he was absolutely dynamic in shutting McDrai down almost every shift against. Even when McDavid did beat him he was mostly kept to the outside. He had some misplays with the puck or his skates (probably not untelated to his injury way back againdt Minnesota in February) but he also made a ton of great plays in all three zones. He was clearly the most talented defenseman on the ice for either team.

Then Stone despite his limitations. He was kind of put in a situation to fail with the Tanev injury, but he was a perfect bottom pairing guy and his offensive impact was immediate.

Then Andersson, but at least his limitations were due to being unable to match against a pair of truly elite talent.

Then Zadorov. Footspeed was the biggest issue, and he got burned by McDavid in game 2 in particular. But overall he did his job competently as a #6D

Hanifin was, by far, the worst defender in that series. He made so many mind-numbing plays, without the puck, with the puck, in the offensive zone, in the defensive zone, in the neutral zone. He had one good shift on the PP in game 4, but he had no business being in PP1 in the first place.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 07:55 AM   #682
DynamRyan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty crushed. Onto next season. GFG. Everything I fear that would happen against the Oilers did. in the most soul-crushingly awful way. I'm usually quite pessimistic but held the faith this time around. This one hurts. A lot. My apartment did not wake up any Berliners this morning. And that is a crying shame.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:58 AM   #683
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad I'm not one of the players, because losing to my biggest rival in the first playoff series between the 2 teams in 3 decades in such embarassing and limp fashion would probably force me to retire out of shame.

Hope they have fun golfing, guess the prospect of good weather this weekend was just too much to pass up
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:58 AM   #684
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hard to make an argument that the Flames should have moved on to the next round. Like Sutter said, Edmonton was a little bit better. Markstrom wasn't good but neither was Smith and overall it felt like Edmonton controlled the pace after game 1. Focusing on one wrong call is just losing sight of the bigger picture.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:01 AM   #685
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Hanifin was pretty easily our best defender this series.
You forgot the green text.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #686
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Hard to make an argument that the Flames should have moved on to the next round. Like Sutter said, Edmonton was a little bit better. Markstrom wasn't good but neither was Smith and overall it felt like Edmonton controlled the pace after game 1. Focusing on one wrong call is just losing sight of the bigger picture.
That one wrong call was the game winning goal that could have turned things around in the series. My focus right now is trying to understand how we were not deliberately ####ed by the NHL.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:04 AM   #687
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete View Post
Woodcroft: Ya we were pretty confident when they were reviewing it that the goal would be called back.

Ya right you howdy doody prick, you f###ing liar, everyone and their dog assumed that it was going to be a good goal.

I saw the review a bunch of times while it was under review. I was not nervous a bit because it seemed like such an easy obvious call.

Unbelievable. Just an atrocious call, simply awful.
Woodcroft is starting to believe his own legend. Talking about moving the chess pieces around. You play McDavid and Dri 28mins plus a night. What a mega genius.

Also taking credit for a critical challenge he didn’t even make.

Good luck next round Bowman v2.0
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #688
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That no goal call was complete bull####. Cost us the game, but not likely the series.

I think the NHL has a big problem. The media darlings aren't really anything new, but the league is also all-in with gambling now. Between the two, I don't think there will be much integrity in the game.
Southside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:07 AM   #689
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woodcraft is a smug POS who is about to get stomped in Round 3. Not even the Dear League will be able to get McDavid any further.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:09 AM   #690
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
That one wrong call was the game winning goal that could have turned things around in the series. My focus right now is trying to understand how we were not deliberately ####ed by the NHL.

Edmonton scored at will in this series, you have no idea if that would've been the game winning goal even if they had accepted it. Plus, the Flames would have needed to win the next two games too. The series was close but overall Edmonton was better by a slight margin. The world isn't out to get the Flames.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:10 AM   #691
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Edmonton scored at will in this series, you have no idea if that would've been the game winning goal even if they had accepted it. Plus, the Flames would have needed to win the next two games too. The series was close but overall Edmonton was better by a slight margin. The world isn't out to get the Flames.
The world no. NHL yes and you will not convince me otherwise. The fix was in.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:11 AM   #692
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The series turned in game 1 when the Flames were having their way with Edmonton and Markstrom had one of the worst goaltending performances you will see. That completely shifted the series, giving the Oilers a ton of confidence and rattling the admittedly mentally weak Flames.

For whatever reason Sutter refused to make any changes this series, be it in net or in line deployment. That might be the most disappointing part of this loss. He was here to have experience and guide the Flames through their troubles. Instead he seemingly did nothing.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:12 AM   #693
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
No way you get a passing rate when you are worse than Mike Smith
He wasn't though. Smith gave up way worse goals than Markstrom. There were just way less quality chances. Take last night. Not a single goal on Markstrom was bad. 3 on Smith were counting the disallowed goal.

Look at the game before. Markstrom had a puckhandling error - I've seen that hundreds of times from goalies. Smith let in one from the opposite blue line. I've seen that maybe a couple times in my life. Game three? Yeah Smith was better. Game two? Nah. Game one? Certainly not.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:12 AM   #694
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
The world no. NHL yes and you will not convince me otherwise. The fix was in.
If there was a fix then you must be assuming the Flames were in on it as well given their play in this series which was easily the worst five game stretch of the entire season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #695
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Eyou have no idea if that would've been the game winning goal even if they had accepted it.
And that's the thing, we'll never know. Because the league took that chance away by making a ballsy call in an elimination game.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #696
Squirrel
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Flames are proving to be the Cleveland Browns of the NHL
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #697
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The fact that not a single person watching the game live or on
TV thought that wasn't a goal proves we got screwed. Not the Flames fans, not the Oilers fans, not the pbp, not the players on the benches, not Mike Smith, not the refs, no one... Except the clown show in TO watching on their screens. Absolutely embarassing NHL.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #698
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Flames had to have allowed to most high danger scoring chances in the second round right? I don’t know how to find that.
2022 Playoffs HDCA:
1. Rangers - 173
2. Oilers - 125
5. Flames - 94

So yes, not a great time for the defense to forget how to limit chances. Calgary was 4th lowest in the regular season.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:19 AM   #699
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went to bed Robbed, Woke up broken.

This league man. No way that’s a kicking motion.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:19 AM   #700
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
The fact that not a single person watching the game live or on
TV thought that wasn't a goal proves we got screwed. Not the Flames fans, not the Oilers fans, not the pbp, not the players on the benches, not Mike Smith, not the refs, no one... Except the clown show in TO watching on their screens. Absolutely embarassing NHL.
Half the CBC panel, but their points were so dumb you'd almost think they were assigned the devil's advocate role.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good