Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #681
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't remember the pope or other christians apologzing for the Davidians? Or even Oklahoma city bombing?

Tot your name is spot on, you have a lot of growing up to do and you got to do it fast, we don't tolerate that kind of ignorance in Canada.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to terminator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #682
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well this certainly derailed in a hurry, its sometimes funny how message boards reflect real life and real realities on a micro scale.

The more I think about the strategy the more I think that its being over sold. This is truly not about destroying ISIS, it will never happen without and effective force on the ground to go in and clean ISIS out of the area.

The old saying is that bombers are cool but they don't hold territory.

This is plain and simply about holding ISIS and containing them, but this is a far more complex issue that's going to need a combined strategy.

You have to kill the leaders. I've always said that the strategy to removing a terrorist group is to murder leaders, and then murder the next leaders, and keep killing them until the leadership is composed of a combination of inexperience, those who aren't ready or respected enough to lead, and those who don't want to die. Then you can start capitalizing on mistakes.

You do have to have feet on the ground, and if its a insurgency group you have to decide who you want to get into bed with. Right now the common perception is that the Kurds are going to do the hard fighting and call in air strikes. I question the effectiveness of the strategy and the command and control process here. The Kurds aren't going to be discriminant in terms of calling in bomb strikes.

There needs to be a bigger push on punishing nations that are supporting ISIL. I'm not talking militarily, but economically. And in the case if its "private citizens" in any one nation that are supporting a group like ISIL, then you have to encourage your friends "To take those networks apart" to stay in your good graces.

Domestic intelligence operations has to increase. We know that there are recruiting pipelines in most western countries. The frightening aspect is that not everyone is going over and I firmly believe that cells are being left here to fund raise and to eventually do something devastating, see Australia. I also believe that the government and the police have to come down on these radicalizing centers and the individuals running them.

International intelligence. I firmly believe that wire taps, and satellite evesdropping and electronic intelligence are something that is being over hyped and relied on way too much. The various intelligence organizations need to increase their operating tempos in not only Isil held territories, but within these other radical groups.

I have this horrible feeling that ISIL is seeing this strategy for what it is, a fairly soft strategy by a world that's not willing to push really hard and is in a way afraid to engage. This strategy might actually encourage ISIL and not demoralize them.

Just my two cents.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #683
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Radical Christians don't have to hijack airplanes and die in the process, they can just use drones.

Have you ever been to the bible belt? There is a contingent of Christian extremism in favor of elimination of all things Muslim that is pretty clearly present. You don't have to look that hard to find it up here either. You sound like you'd fit right in with them except the atheist part.

Living in Alabama it's amazing, they believe that anything not Christian is the debil. They want everything not white, and carrying a cross to be eliminated from this planet.

Dead serious
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PIMking For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #684
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Living in Alabama it's amazing, they believe that anything not Christian is the debil. They want everything not white, and carrying a cross to be eliminated from this planet.

Dead serious
You can find people like that a lot of places, there just seems to be a few places that are hotbeds for breeding them.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #685
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think Captain Crunch is correct. And I agree with his closing remark as well.

And T@T man you have to stay away from those shady websites. They're biased.

Last edited by JeanLucPicard; 09-24-2014 at 11:41 AM.
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #686
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm going to just assume Poe's Law with T@T.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #687
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I too have a few Muslim friends, some out of the UK and some here at home. They are just as horrified as we are at what ISIS is doing. To say otherwise is sad and completely ignorant.

Quote:
Muslims Are Speaking Out Against ISIS To Say: You Do Not Represent Us
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarr...t-repr#4cbhe8a

Another article: http://www.globalresearch.ca/muslim-...n-isis/5397364

Quote:
ABC News’ Laura Ingraham, Fox News’ Sean Hannity, Fox & Friends and other U.S. media commentators say that Muslims are silent and complicit in the barbarian crimes of ISIS. Fox News host Andrea Tantaros said that all Muslims are the same as ISIS, and implied that all Muslims should be met “with a bullet to the head”.

Why don’t we hear Muslims condemning the barbarian ISIS terrorists?

Turns out they are loudly condemning ISIS … but our press isn’t covering it.
Out of the UK: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...d-9742193.html

Quote:
A letter from more than a hundred UK Muslim leaders calling for Alan Henning to be released by his Isis kidnappers is to be translated into Arabic and read by a leading imam in an online video as the campaign grows.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #688
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

FYI - Daesh related militants in Algeria beheaded the old French man they abducted yesterday and held holstage to try and force France to stop airstrikes.

Mongrols
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #689
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
FYI - Daesh related militants in Algeria beheaded the old French man they abducted yesterday and held holstage to try and force France to stop airstrikes.

Mongrols
I like that you use Daesh to refer to these guys since as Obama says they're neither Islamic nor a state.

Since they find that name highly offensive because of its similarity to the Arabic word "daes" (which means to step on or crush) I encourage everyone to start calling them this.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #690
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering that ISIS has been murdering mostly other muslims, it should be obvious that most oppose them. Just doing a Google search brings up numerous internet sources of muslims (Sunni and Shia) who are being very vocal about it.

If anything, it says more about our media here that they aren't reporting that side as much.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #691
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I think it sad that some people think it should be required of every single Muslim in the world to stand up and do a YouTube video condemning what the ISIS is doing before they will believe that not all Muslims are murdering psychopaths.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #692
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's sad that no matter how many Muslims do stand against ISIS (which is the overwhelming, vast majority), people will still believe they're murdering psychopaths.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #693
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Calgary imam on CBC Power and Politics right now speaking out about the issue, agreeing with a lot of what Obama and Harper have said, making some great points about the complexity of the issue, and commenting on things he and other Muslims have done to speak out and improve the situation.

For all of those that believe (if there are any outside of T@T) that Muslims are not doing enough to criticize radical Islam.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #694
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post

For all of those that believe (if there are any outside of T@T) that Muslims are not doing enough to criticize radical Islam.
Good for them to start criticizing and I hope it continues until the radicals are all but gone.

9-11 was 13 years ago...it shouldn't have took that long but maybe just maybe there is hope.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #695
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Good for them to start criticizing and I hope it continues until the radicals are all but gone.

9-11 was 13 years ago...it shouldn't have took that long but maybe just maybe there is hope.
Yeah. They've waited way too long for you to notice....
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #696
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone ever go on to live leak to watch these scumbags get blown up?
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #697
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_flame View Post
Anyone ever go on to live leak to watch these scumbags get blown up?
Has Live Leak eased up? The last I heard they weren't showing "war" or "gore" videos anymore. Especially the beheadings.

I watched a couple of those. Crazy stuff.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #698
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
Has Live Leak eased up? The last I heard they weren't showing "war" or "gore" videos anymore. Especially the beheadings.

I watched a couple of those. Crazy stuff.
They don't show be headings really

But still show them getting blown up and shot
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #699
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Jebus, this thread derailed mightily in the wake of T@T's ignorance.

I would just like to say, I know a lot of Muslims. Sunni, Shi'ite, Kurdish, Egyptian. Every single one of them are terrified of ISIS and what is happening.

3 of my Pakistani workers live in Taliban controlled region of Pakistan, they say that the Taliban actively speaks out against joining ISIS.

These are guys, who are not Taliban, who live in mild terror of Taliban every day they are home, who are even more terrified about what ISIS holds for the future.

That's how messed up this group of people are (ISIS). They are terrify people who live under Taliban rule.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #700
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Iraqi PM is saying that they uncovered a plot where the subways in New York and Paris are targeted. He said the attacks are imminent nad have not been thwarted.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/isis-pl...says-1.2777707

Quote:
Iraq's prime minister says his country's intelligence operation has uncovered a plot for an imminent attack on subway systems in the United States and Paris.

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said he was told of the plot by Baghdad on Thursday, and that it was the work of foreign fighters from ISIS in Iraq. Asked if the attack was imminent, he said, "Yes."

Asked if the attacked had been thwarted, he said, "No." Al-Abadi said the United States had been alerted.