Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #681
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Republic scum
you stroll around like a silly raver waving your glowstick, i'll stick with my cannon. i was wrecking #### in the warzones after gearing myself up, should be even better tonight now that the 50's will be in their own queues

on another note, did half the empire players choose to play a sorcerer? there are so damn many of them in every warzone
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #682
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
you stroll around like a silly raver waving your glowstick, i'll stick with my cannon. i was wrecking #### in the warzones after gearing myself up, should be even better tonight now that the 50's will be in their own queues

on another note, did half the empire players choose to play a sorcerer? there are so damn many of them in every warzone
Yeah, remember that your cannon is useless against the power of the force, good luck aiming and squeezing the trigger, when I'm taking away your ability to breath and then you're oxygen deprived corpse is suddenly flying into a wall at a hundred miles an hour or you go over a bridge.

But don't worry, I plan on salvaging your corpse for usable materials.

And yeah, there are a ton of Sith Sorcerers out there, compare to the Warrior/Juggernaut its just a massively over powered class.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #683
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
but when you successfully defend against your first ganker and /laugh at his corpse, you'll never go back to a PvE server
I'm level 38 and I can say that only once have I been attacked by someone in open world pvp, and I destroyed them.

I've only seen one person apart from that from another faction, but didn't bother attacking.

PvP really isn't as scary as it is made out to be by some.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #684
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, remember that your cannon is useless against the power of the force, good luck aiming and squeezing the trigger, when I'm taking away your ability to breath and then you're oxygen deprived corpse is suddenly flying into a wall at a hundred miles an hour or you go over a bridge.

But don't worry, I plan on salvaging your corpse for usable materials.

And yeah, there are a ton of Sith Sorcerers out there, compare to the Warrior/Juggernaut its just a massively over powered class.
Juggers get good later in the game. Seen some good ones when I am in the instances - they take a lot of punishment and definitely serve a purpose.

Lots of operatives, more than any other class IMO. At lvl 50 they have some crazy stealth/knockdowns - I've been hit for 8k!!! in a single shot.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #685
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm probably going to do an operative after I'm done with my Sith Warrior. From what I understand the two strongest stories in the game are the Warrior and the Intelligence operator. The Sith Inquisitor is considered to be a pretty dissapointing story, and the Bounty Hunter is good, but could have been better.

Don't know much about the Republic side though.

I would still love it if you could start as a Jedi and at some point fall to the dark side and have a story tree for that.

Where you suddenly go against the Jedi.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #686
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm probably going to do an operative after I'm done with my Sith Warrior. From what I understand the two strongest stories in the game are the Warrior and the Intelligence operator. The Sith Inquisitor is considered to be a pretty dissapointing story, and the Bounty Hunter is good, but could have been better.

Don't know much about the Republic side though.

I would still love it if you could start as a Jedi and at some point fall to the dark side and have a story tree for that.

Where you suddenly go against the Jedi.
I'm looooooving the Sniper storyline. It's really well done, lot's of plot twits, including a bunch that I didn't see coming.

Bioware is awesome.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #687
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Playing a BH right now, enjoying it quite a bit. Finally tried my hand at PVP. I do reasonably well till I run across a geared 50, then it gets ugly. I guess that problem is solved today? Wasn't a game breaker, I was still having fun. I do dislike the extra step that everything in the game seems to involve. In this save the PVP gear bags, I have to buy merc tokens, pita, just charge me 800 warfare and be done with it. I realize you can get merc token for Ilum(?) stuff but still. Anyway, still loving it.

Learning all the classes still, which leads me to my next question. I'd like to play a melee class on the Sith side, what are my options and people's experiences with each? I was a rogue in WoW and through it all I loved that class.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #688
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
Playing a BH right now, enjoying it quite a bit. Finally tried my hand at PVP. I do reasonably well till I run across a geared 50, then it gets ugly. I guess that problem is solved today? Wasn't a game breaker, I was still having fun. I do dislike the extra step that everything in the game seems to involve. In this save the PVP gear bags, I have to buy merc tokens, pita, just charge me 800 warfare and be done with it. I realize you can get merc token for Ilum(?) stuff but still. Anyway, still loving it.

Learning all the classes still, which leads me to my next question. I'd like to play a melee class on the Sith side, what are my options and people's experiences with each? I was a rogue in WoW and through it all I loved that class.
I'm hooked on the melee based Sith Warrior that I made into a Juggernaut. You get some incredibly powerfull and cool attacks as you progress through the ranks.

The Backhand is awesome and its animation makes it look like you literally break the opponents neck.

The powerfull kick does about 900 points in damage.

The force scream, force choke and some of the other moves when used in concert are amazingly cool.

I can't wait to get lightsabre throw.

You do want to use your healing companion though, it makes the fight easier.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #689
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I am sure juggers get some sort of stun immunity as well. It works really effectively in huttball matches when you need to get it across the line while ppl attempt to chain stun.

I think purge for Sith Sorcs is broken, it won't remove any dots. Only thing it has removed for me is movement impairing effects when I use it.

Kind of annoying, since it is one of the biggest survival tactics if you use it correcty in WoW, I know it says in the description it is supposed to work that way.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #690
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I am sure juggers get some sort of stun immunity as well. It works really effectively in huttball matches when you need to get it across the line while ppl attempt to chain stun.

I think purge for Sith Sorcs is broken, it won't remove any dots. Only thing it has removed for me is movement impairing effects when I use it.

Kind of annoying, since it is one of the biggest survival tactics if you use it correcty in WoW, I know it says in the description it is supposed to work that way.
Not as much Stun immunity as a force power cast. But as you tank up the Skill tree, you find that stunning moves effect you less.

Unless your blown off of the seat of your fancy speeder.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #691
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/720...-investigating
Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #692
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
ya the forums have exploded today after the patch went live. and when Bioware released the 1.1 patch notes a couple weeks ago, there were many who were pointing out that this exact scenario would unfold due to the population imbalances. Bioware has a massive fail on their hands right now with the patch, i'm just glad i'm not 50 yet
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #693
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I'm looooooving the Sniper storyline. It's really well done, lot's of plot twits, including a bunch that I didn't see coming.

Bioware is awesome.
I second this. I just got my Sniper to level 50 and finished up the Imperial Agent storyline. It was pretty damn awesome. My one beef is that I didn't buy into the villian of the third act. Can't really elaborate without spoilers.

But yeah, Imperial Agent storyline is awesome. I started a Sith Inquisitor after finishing that one but so far haven't really gotten into the story, just finished the Prelude which was sort of satisfying. I think the Consular story seems much better so far as far as the two mirror classes go.
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #694
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So as an addon.

Spoiler!

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #695
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just finish my Inquisitor story....
Spoiler!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #696
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Well I am now passed the half way point on this game and I think it is time I share my thoughts in relation to what I was thinking before the game released.

What they did right: The loot system. Oh how WoW could learn a thing or two from this. Set up so loot that drops will always correspond to who is in party, but on top of that it will drop the loot that is most needed. An example of this is 4 players enter a flash point, two are over leveled one is on level and one is underleveled. It will drop mostly gear for the underleveled player to to get them up to speed. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Simplified classes. At the end of the day with WoW, there was just too much going on. What loot was good for who? Is this rogue or feral druid gear? Is that a Paladin or a Warrior sword? Or should we let this DK roll on it. There are 8 classes per faction, but really only 4. It just makes everything easier for everyone.

Evened out PvP. Everyone is in a big pool (cept 50s) and if you're underleveled, don't panic. They got you.

Lightside/Darkside choices. Some of these are hilarious. The responses you can give are just wonderful, but they can't save a pointless system. They also lose some points because some of the choices are stupid, but mostly funny.

The rail shooter. Love it. I know its a place holder, but I hope they just improve the current system. It's simple a time waster and fun.

Crafting/Farming system. Thanks for taking that out of my hands. I hate it. Always will. Hours wasted running around a map waiting for respawns is not how I want to play a game.

What they did wrong: The Lightside/Darkside system. What is the point, exactly? Does it change where I can or can't go? What I can or can't do? Does it alter my standing in my faction? So far all it seems to do is dictate that I can or can't use some weapons because I sucked some people out an airlock one time or opted against killing a spy because they did it for the right reasons. It was a system that had the potential to really separate it from past MMOs but in the end really just feels tacked on.

C3PO is everywhere. I am sick of hearing Anthony Daniels' voice. Yes you got someone from the original trilogy, congratulations. But it had to be the one with the most annoying voice of the most annoying character pre-Jarjar? Atleast in past games it's been people like Wedge Antilles. This... this is just... ugh.

Making up new lore when they have so much to draw from. Just what we needed, more sith lords or Jedi heroes to add to history. With so much back story, so many characters in place. Why make up more? WoW did stuff like this and it annoyed me there too. Use the lore you have, don't stuff it with more.

Companion affections. Confusing. Simply put. One time a type of comment gets you affection. Similar comment 20 minutes later and its -1 for you. I don't want it laid out for me, but I do want it consistent.

No instance summons. This isn't a problem if things are world based and I can run to an instance while I do a quest. But because I have to go to the fleet, that's balls. I can't finish a quest. I have to drop what I am doing and head to a settlement. If my cooldowns are down, it could be a long run. 18hr emergency fleet beacon cool down is a joke. If you have all the instances in one place, make it easy to get to.

Sith Lords and Jedi Masters die like bitches. They should be end game content, not people I can smack around like they haven't paid me, in a 2 man heroic.

Too many abilities. I get this one, since they want every class to do everything. But I've filled up three bars with abilities. Make some of these tree specific. Does my DPS character really need guard? When I flip to tank, do I need backstab? I should never be behind the target, so that makes no sense.

What the completely ####ed up.

PvP in general. There are a lot of factors here. Including max level players in end-content gear with a level 10 new player. Good call. It had to be fixed, glad they did. Sour taste remains in many a mouth. The Rep/Imp imbalance is another, and really I can't fathom how you fix that or why it happened. I do know a lot of people I am playing with originally wanted to be Republic (myself included) but the first of us to get the game rolled Imperial and we all followed. It's a mess they are in, not sure what they can do to fix it.

Incomplete/Broken UI. How do you launch a game with the user interface incomplete and buggy? Yikes. Just yikes.

No add-ons. No damage meters, no threat meters, no loot maps, no nothing. Been to ToRhead? Place is useless because they can't design a data gathering widgit to accrue data. I know they are akin to cheating, but when most end game players are used to cheating... well you kinda gotta give em what they want.

No macroes.

Why? I get no add-ons. I do. But no macroes? Lewls. Just lewls.

In all, I am still not sure I make it out of the first month. Most of the people I befriended in the first week of playing haven't been online since I friended them. People I know personally played once, and never played it again. The potential is still there for this game to be so much more. I may get to 50 and walk away and come back in 3 - 6 months time, keeping track of patch notes and changes. The PvP and Broken UI have to be fixed, and I think that is something they know. They have too. This game will be dead inside the year if they don't/can't find a way. I've already heard rumours that after only a month they are floating the idea of closing some servers because the population demand just isn't where they expected it to be/has dropped off huge.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 01-21-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #697
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Good review Blaster, I'm still getting tremendous enjoyment out of the game, and I think the overall story for the character I'm playing is incredibly strong.

In terms of the dark and light choices, I've noticed a pretty big difference. Some of the enemy that I spared (republic Troopers for example) showed up later in a boss fight and assisted me and made the fight easier.

I spared a Sith Lord and he's rumbling around in the background.

I've done some PVP stuff, but I'm not deep into it, I've enjoyed doing group missions which are fun.

I love the Rail Shooter system in space, some of the missions are down right impossible to complete unless you up the system.

In terms of the affection system with Companions, they do fight better as they get more affectionate to you.

I think this is a very strong game potential, depending on patches and content addon.

I have to admit I was iffy on the Lore because it completely changed the whole story of the War between the Sith and the Jedi from the original understanding of the story.

But I can accept it since it came far before the days of Darth Bane and the reformation of the Sith into the rule of two.

I do wish I'd played Galaxies when it came out to compare it.

But in terms of game content and value to me, its very good, I didn't expect epic perfection from the start, so I'm interested in seeing the patch work and content ads.

One thing that they do need to work out is class balancing, the Sith Warrior seems to be underpowered against some opponents, while from a buddy that plays the Inquisitor they tend to be overpowered.

I make very few game purchases over the span of the year, with my next one probably being mass effect, but I really like this game alot.

Its got character and a feel of grim determination when your playing a Sith.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #698
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Good review Blaster, I'm still getting tremendous enjoyment out of the game, and I think the overall story for the character I'm playing is incredibly strong.
The character stories are just neither here nor there for me. I don't play an mmo for the single player experience. It is unique and it is new, and it isn't over all terrible but I just don't know if that is what I want when playing an MMO.

Quote:
In terms of the dark and light choices, I've noticed a pretty big difference. Some of the enemy that I spared (republic Troopers for example) showed up later in a boss fight and assisted me and made the fight easier.

I spared a Sith Lord and he's rumbling around in the background.
I haven't noticed anything like the former, and the latter is just so blah. Does his staying alive open a new quest chain? Does it close one? Does it alter the direction my quest will go? Does it unlock a new ability? Does it prevent me from getting one?

Quote:
I've done some PVP stuff, but I'm not deep into it, I've enjoyed doing group missions which are fun.
I'd prefer more group missions at level 50 than at level 15. Just a poor design system for leveling. I left Dormund Kaas with two heroic missions unfinished because I got sick of waiting on the planet to find a group with every other quest done.

Quote:
I love the Rail Shooter system in space, some of the missions are down right impossible to complete unless you up the system.
As they should be. My level 1 everything shuttle should not be able to take down a capital ship.

Quote:
In terms of the affection system with Companions, they do fight better as they get more affectionate to you.
I get that. But why are they so confused? Killing this guy is cool with them in one instance, but not in the next? They like it when I hit on this girl now, but the next one is not cool? Just no rhyme or reason.

Quote:
I think this is a very strong game potential, depending on patches and content addon.
Pretty much. It all depends where they go, but I honestly have the lowest expectations with EA breathing down Bioware's neck/putting their own people in charge at Bioware. They were too scared to take Activisions method of "Okay Blizzard, here is when we need it done by and what we want to see. Beyond that, do what you do."

Quote:
I have to admit I was iffy on the Lore because it completely changed the whole story of the War between the Sith and the Jedi from the original understanding of the story.

But I can accept it since it came far before the days of Darth Bane and the reformation of the Sith into the rule of two.
It just bugs me that they had lore to use, and have created even more. Just makes things more confusing. Blizzard did the same #### in WoW. I don't get it.

Quote:
But in terms of game content and value to me, its very good, I didn't expect epic perfection from the start, so I'm interested in seeing the patch work and content ads.
I expected hiccups. Not a broken UI on release. That's inexcusable. Even more so because they refuse to acknowledge it's a problem.

Quote:
One thing that they do need to work out is class balancing, the Sith Warrior seems to be underpowered against some opponents, while from a buddy that plays the Inquisitor they tend to be overpowered.
Melee in general is underpowered in PVP right now. That will get balanced and is not much of a problem imo. Class balancing is a delicate thing.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #699
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Blaster, can I ask you want UI bugs you are having? I haven't experienced any issues with UI when playing...
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #700
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

The one interesting aspect of this game is that you can pretty much play the experience entirely solo if you want. You really don't have to interact with anyone.

Outside of a couple people, I haven't made any ingame friends nor joined a guild.