Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #6941
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Convince both Pietrangelo and Hall to take 1 year discount deals to chase the cup in Calgary.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #6942
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Convince both Pietrangelo and Hall to take 1 year discount deals to chase the cup in Calgary.
Well, that won’t happen.

I’d still go heavy for both. 7 years of Hall + Pietrangelo is a game changer.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #6943
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pietrangelo might be the only UFA over 30 who might be worth giving term to.
He really is good, and has a long way to fall if he slows down. It would surely take a while.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #6944
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Weird way to handle one of your best players. Really strange.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1307106368646795266
This should be an eye opener for anyone who thinks these UFA's are getting $9 or 10 million AAV on long term deals this off season.

This climate will not allow that to happen unless they want to play for a bottom feeder or maaaaybe if they take a 1 year deal.

Imagine getting Petro for about $8 million AAV?

Man that'd be nice.

In a perfect world we could sign Petro and trade Hanifin for futures, sign Hall and trade Gaudreau for futures and then sign Markstrom.

Dream on I guess.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #6945
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

chicago just traded for his rights?
Old 09-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #6946
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abatedmean View Post
chicago just traded for his rights?
Not that I’ve seen reported anywhere.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #6947
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Convince Looch to retire and make big offers to both. Every team in the league will make an offer to Pietrangelo.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #6948
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Does anybody think that there is any chance of Backlund waiving his NTC? He really loves the city and is a heart and soul guy, but at times this is a heartless business, which is what you need to be in order to win.

I am partial to the strategy of moving Lindholm to centre, and concentrating any Gaudreau trade on center ice potential. I'll throw out a trade scenario with this in mind, not as a way to argue the trades themselves but rather the structure, and the original question.
The only compelling argument I've heard is that he could theoretically control his destination more now by waiving for 3-5 teams only, instead of the 10 teams he'll choose next year.

That said, if he's happy living here he should not waive and hope for the best.

I used to be a big advocate for moving Lindholm to C, but given the dearth of RHS/RW on this team, I think his best value comes as a safety blanket to an incomplete C (Monahan or Bennett).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post

Too bad Treliving and co missed their chance on Ryan O’Reilly. That package from St Louis to Buffalo was an absolute joke. The Flames could’ve easily made a better offer and this organization would finally have their elite Selke winning #1 center.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's hard to MMQB what your team could've/should've done to get an available player when his GM was apparently eating fruity pebbles. For all we know several teams had better packages on the table, but for some reason BUF was high (I'm actually just going to end the sentence there).
Old 09-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #6949
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jack Eichel

Please
Old 09-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #6950
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Weird way to handle one of your best players. Really strange.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1307106368646795266
Well accepting the AAV isn't the same as accepting the contract offer, that actually seems fairly normal to me. Agree on an overall AAV, then nail down the year to year and signing bonuses to make it work.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #6951
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we might see Boston going hard after Pietrangelo. Only team other than us, Van, Edmonton and Winnipeg I really see.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #6952
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Unless we improve our top end depth, we aren't going to get better. Trading Monahan and making Lindholm, who has never had a full season at C in the NHL your #1C just because you think Backlund should be on the 2nd line is nothing but a recipe for disaster.

Backlund as a #3 is an ideal situation. Much like when Staal was the #3 in Pittsburgh.

Gaudreau - Monahan - ?
Tkachuk - Lindholm - ?
? - Backlund - ?

Unfortunately keeping Backlund like this means we wouldn't be able to afford Hall, so maybe Josh Anderson might be an option. But those question marks would be filled with Dube, Mangiapane, Bennett and either a FA signing or trade acquisition.

Actually, I thought the 2 best centers for the Flames this season was Lindholm in the first half and then Backlund in the second half. Actually, Backlund had a run in February/March where he actually looked like one of best centers in the league. The line of Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane was also the best line this team had this season. These are the main reasons why I’d go with a 1A-1B combo of Lindholm-Backlund.

I don’t see any scenario in which we see the pair of Gaudreau-Monahan back next season. They weren’t very good together in the regular season and were even worse in the playoffs. Monahan had a hard time elevating his play against the likes of Adam Lowry and Andrew Copp. Then in the Dallas series, they threw Radek Faksa out there against Monahan and he ended up 2 assists in 6 games. That’s a big reason why this team was ousted by the Stars, the top line was invisible all series long.

So like I said before, unless Treliving finds a way to add a true, elite #1 center (unlikely), I foresee Lindholm playing up the middle next season because if all this team does is trade Gaudreau add Hall; it’ll probably end up in another disappointing first round exit as a first line of Hall-Monahan-Lindholm line isn’t much different than the current first line that hasn’t gotten it done in half a decade.

The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #6953
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Well accepting the AAV isn't the same as accepting the contract offer, that actually seems fairly normal to me. Agree on an overall AAV, then nail down the year to year and signing bonuses to make it work.
If the structure of the offer is horrible, then having already accepted the AAV handcuffs your ability to get anything changed.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #6954
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you rather Pietrangelo @ 7 years 8m or Markstrom @ 5 years 6m?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:10 PM   #6955
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Actually, I thought the 2 best centers for the Flames this season was Lindholm in the first half and then Backlund in the second half. Actually, Backlund had a run in February/March where he actually looked like one of best centers in the league. The line of Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane was also the best line this team had this season. These are the main reasons why I’d go with a 1A-1B combo of Lindholm-Backlund.

I don’t see any scenario in which we see the pair of Gaudreau-Monahan back next season. They weren’t very good together in the regular season and were even worse in the playoffs. Monahan had a hard time elevating his play against the likes of Adam Lowry and Andrew Copp. Then in the Dallas series, they threw Radek Faksa out there against Monahan and he ended up 2 assists in 6 games. That’s a big reason why this team was ousted by the Stars, the top line was invisible all series long.

So like I said before, unless Treliving finds a way to add a true, elite #1 center (unlikely), I foresee Lindholm playing up the middle next season because if all this team does is trade Gaudreau add Hall; it’ll probably end up in another disappointing first round exit as a first line of Hall-Monahan-Lindholm line isn’t much different than the current first line that hasn’t gotten it done in half a decade.

I don't even know what to say to this, you seem quite delusional.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #6956
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Would you rather Pietrangelo @ 7 years 8m or Markstrom @ 5 years 6m?
Peitro every day of the week. A good defense can do wonders for the confidence of a goalie, and what he adds on the offensive side. Instead of signing a UFA goalie, I would look for one with term left and trade for him. Price on Kuemper is high, but price on other goalies are probably very reasonable.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:13 PM   #6957
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Pietrangelo story sounds to me like a wild oversimplification of the negotiation process by someone without full knowledge or one side just leaking their version to gain support. A complex negotiation often involves agreeing on multiple steps. It’s not binding, there’s no contract he’s signing with only an AAV and no details.

Not denying that he may not like how they’re handling negotiations but that’s life in the big leagues. You may have to fight for what you want. Your response may be 7.7 is ok if it’s paid out in a manner that suits you. If that’s not the case, then you shut the door on 7.7.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #6958
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
By Calgary do you mean Colorado?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #6959
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
By Calgary do you mean Colorado?
I think Sakic still remembers what happened with Kariya and Selanne when you try that.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #6960
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This should be an eye opener for anyone who thinks these UFA's are getting $9 or 10 million AAV on long term deals this off season.

This climate will not allow that to happen unless they want to play for a bottom feeder or maaaaybe if they take a 1 year deal.

Imagine getting Petro for about $8 million AAV?

Man that'd be nice.

In a perfect world we could sign Petro and trade Hanifin for futures, sign Hall and trade Gaudreau for futures and then sign Markstrom.

Dream on I guess.
Why? that is the offer...he never signed it