Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #6921
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Here's a curveball for the group to consider. I have been trying to figure out if an Ekblad trade might be possible given what rumors have been coming out of Florida. Personally I think he might be the best RD "available".

Disclaimer, I am still against trading Monahan. But if we do:

Monahan+Hanifin= 11.325 Cap hit

Ekblad+Connolly+Borgstrom= 12.5 cap hit

Saves them money long term on the Ekblad contract, they get a young stud defenseman to fill in and get a premium quality 2C (to replace the hole left by Trocheck.)

From our side, we get to move on from Monahan if we're dead set on it, while bringing in a franchise cornerstone player.
I think that’s pretty bad for Calgary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #6922
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Here's a curveball for the group to consider. I have been trying to figure out if an Ekblad trade might be possible given what rumors have been coming out of Florida. Personally I think he might be the best RD "available".

Disclaimer, I am still against trading Monahan. But if we do:

Monahan+Hanifin= 11.325 Cap hit

Ekblad+Connolly+Borgstrom= 12.5 cap hit

Saves them money long term on the Ekblad contract, they get a young stud defenseman to fill in and get a premium quality 2C (to replace the hole left by Trocheck.)

From our side, we get to move on from Monahan if we're dead set on it, while bringing in a franchise cornerstone player.
I really don't understand why we would be dead set on moving on from the team's #1 centre. Yes he ideally would slot as a #2, but if you move him - your centre depth is among the worst in the league.
There is no urgency to move on from Monahan. He is signed for 3 more years, and is a player with consistent production.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #6923
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Patrick missed plenty of time in Junior as well. I feel bad for the kid but I think his ability to stay healthy is an open question.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #6924
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anybody think that there is any chance of Backlund waiving his NTC? He really loves the city and is a heart and soul guy, but at times this is a heartless business, which is what you need to be in order to win.

I am partial to the strategy of moving Lindholm to centre, and concentrating any Gaudreau trade on center ice potential. I'll throw out a trade scenario with this in mind, not as a way to argue the trades themselves but rather the structure, and the original question.

Backlund and Ryan (1M retained) to Minnesota for Dumba
Gaudreau (1M retained) for McMicheal, 25th overall 2020, and Hagelin
Hanifin for PTBNL
Hall signed

Tkachuk - Monahan - Mangiapane
Hall - Lindholm - PTBNL
Hagelin - Bennett - Dube
Lucic - Gawdin - Phillips

Giordano - Andersson
Valimaki - Dumba
Kylington - Yelesin

So, to facilitate Connor McMicheal (or equivalent from another team), would Backlund waive?
Old 09-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #6925
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ptbnl?
Old 09-18-2020, 04:41 PM   #6926
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligans_off View Post
Ptbnl?
Player to be named later. Some right wing of high virtue.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #6927
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you not heard of Paul-Thomas-Bernard-Nelson-Leclair?
Often referred to as PTB-Nelson-Leclaire for short.
Helluva player.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #6928
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I really don't understand why we would be dead set on moving on from the team's #1 centre. Yes he ideally would slot as a #2, but if you move him - your centre depth is among the worst in the league.
There is no urgency to move on from Monahan. He is signed for 3 more years, and is a player with consistent production.

Depends on how Flames management view Lindholm. If they like him up the middle, then the 4 centers up the middle would be Lindholm-Backlund-Bennett-Ryan.

Too bad Treliving and co missed their chance on Ryan O’Reilly. That package from St Louis to Buffalo was an absolute joke. The Flames could’ve easily made a better offer and this organization would finally have their elite Selke winning #1 center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #6929
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope Brad puts more thought into trading our 23 year old D-man with 4 years under $5mill/per than that. The return should be pretty high.

interesting none the less.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #6930
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Depends on how Flames management view Lindholm. If they like him up the middle, then the 4 centers up the middle would be Lindholm-Backlund-Bennett-Ryan.

Too bad Treliving and co missed their chance on Ryan O’Reilly. That package from St Louis to Buffalo was an absolute joke. The Flames could’ve easily made a better offer and this organization would finally have their elite Selke winning #1 center.

If they viewed Lindholm as a C, then you use he and Monahan as the 1-2 centers and move a lower end center for a winger, or put Bennett back on the wing w/ Backlund, trade Ryan and sign a cheaper #4C
Old 09-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #6931
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah he teaches them you have to be better than him to play in the NHL

Must be working =-o

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #6932
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Rude.

Also, I did enjoy Baertschi.

He was a great filler who showed flashes of finally figuring out the NHL but couldn't stay healthy when he'd finally figured it out. I regret that concussions have probably ended his NHL career. But he went down to Utica and has apparently been exemplary in demonstrating to young players what is required to play in the NHL. Perhaps that style of leadership at this level is why the Canucks have a great farm system currently while the Flames are usually rated in the lower third... Maybe.
Probably not, the Flames poor farm system ranking is because their GM trades all their high draft picks, thus they have a pretty thin prospect pool. I do not think it has anything to do with not having a great professional like Sven on the minor league team taking up 2.4 million in cap space on the big roster.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #6933
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
If they viewed Lindholm as a C, then you use he and Monahan as the 1-2 centers and move a lower end center for a winger, or put Bennett back on the wing w/ Backlund, trade Ryan and sign a cheaper #4C

I wouldn’t do that personally because then Backlund is pushed down to the 3rd line where he’d play 13-14 minutes a night. He’s the team’s most effective shut down center and in my opinion, should be playing with Tkachuk and Mangiapane on this team’s 1B line.

I think Lindholm has the ability to be a poor man’s Jonathan Toews, so if the Flames can’t land an Alexander Barkov or another elite center, I’d personally roll with Lindholm and find him a couple new wingers, hopefully a playmaking power forward.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:16 PM   #6934
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not against moving on from Monahan. His goals won’t be easy to replace but a center with a more complete game who can the contribute on the defensive side of the ice might actually make the team better. And make that line better.

I really don’t like his game as much as I used to and he’s part of the problem with how the team is built. He’s one dimensional and not a top line player.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #6935
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default 2019/2020 Trade Speculation and Rumors 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’m not against moving on from Monahan. His goals won’t be easy to replace but a center with a more complete game who can the contribute on the defensive side of the ice might actually make the team better. And make that line better.

I really don’t like his game as much as I used to and he’s part of the problem with how the team is built. He’s one dimensional and not a top line player.

True. Monahan’s line found itself pinned to the defensive end for too often for my liking. Since center is a premium position, I’m sure Treliving can extort at least one team into giving up one of their elite wingers.

I mean honestly, would anyone complain if Treliving ended up trading Monahan for another Matthew Tkachuk? Someone who can score as well as he can pass, draw penalties and force top lines to defend all day in their end. I sure wouldn’t be complaining.

The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #6936
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, this makes things interesting...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1307100573066506240
Old 09-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #6937
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I wouldn’t do that personally because then Backlund is pushed down to the 3rd line where he’d play 13-14 minutes a night. He’s the team’s most effective shut down center and in my opinion, should be playing with Tkachuk and Mangiapane on this team’s 1B line.

I think Lindholm has the ability to be a poor man’s Jonathan Toews, so if the Flames can’t land an Alexander Barkov or another elite center, I’d personally roll with Lindholm and find him a couple new wingers, hopefully a playmaking power forward.

Unless we improve our top end depth, we aren't going to get better. Trading Monahan and making Lindholm, who has never had a full season at C in the NHL your #1C just because you think Backlund should be on the 2nd line is nothing but a recipe for disaster.

Backlund as a #3 is an ideal situation. Much like when Staal was the #3 in Pittsburgh.

Gaudreau - Monahan - ?
Tkachuk - Lindholm - ?
? - Backlund - ?

Unfortunately keeping Backlund like this means we wouldn't be able to afford Hall, so maybe Josh Anderson might be an option. But those question marks would be filled with Dube, Mangiapane, Bennett and either a FA signing or trade acquisition.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #6938
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would you guys prefer to sign Hall or Pietrangelo in a perfect world where either would choose Calgary?

And Re: Monahan. The only way you move him is in a package for a center upgrade. You simply cannot trade him for D or a winger and expect to be fine. We might not like our center depth/top end currently, but that doesn't mean we go and nuke it to strengthen a less important position.

Gaudreau is the one that is moved before monahan 10/10 times. And I would move him for center prospects/players.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-18-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #6939
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Would you guys prefer to sign Hall or Pietrangelo in a perfect world where either would choose Calgary.

Pietrangelo.

Edit- this applies for both the Flames and Canucks.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #6940
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Weird way to handle one of your best players. Really strange.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1307106368646795266
Closed Thread