Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #6901
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I think a lot of people were abusing it- leaving the rack on to avoid photo radar tickets.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #6902
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I think a lot of people were abusing it- leaving the rack on to avoid photo radar tickets.
Those people are doing it wrong, just ride your bike everywhere and you don't have to worry about photo radar.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #6903
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I'm fine with warnings/using discretion. Buddy rocking his bike rack all winter without a fat bike should get a ticket. However if I got a ticket after dropping my bike off at the shop I'd be choked.

My issue is there's no good solution for displaying the plate with a rack on. I'd have no problem moving my plate onto my rack when not in use, but there's no rack that accommodates for that, and any jerry-rigged solution needs lights.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #6904
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

1up usa has a license plate holder that attaches to the back of their rack. The new one flips depending on if your rack is down or up. They also have one that comes with a light.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/license-plate-holder-2/
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #6905
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
1up usa has a license plate holder that attaches to the back of their rack.
Oh sure, now they do.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #6906
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_train View Post
Just a reminder to remember to take off your bike rack when your not using it. I just got a warning for my bike rack blocking my license plate.
Saw a guy yesterday who was complying with the law by leaving his rack folded down. It's one of those that you fold down and the tires sit on the rack, then you fold it up when not in use. So when not in use and folded up the licence plate is blocked but when you leave it down (but empty) the licence is visible but the thing sticks out about 4 feet from the back bumper and is really hard to see.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #6907
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have always wondered if you ran into an ornery officer if they could give you a ticket if you had bikes on your rack as your plate is pretty much obscured.

I have also worried about getting a ticket when the rack is up while on vacation, as sometimes you stay someplace where you can’t store your rack and the bikes as well.

I’d like to think that in both cases you could likely work with the officer and just wind up with a warning.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #6908
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going through the boarder they get annoyed because they have to get out and read your plate. Depends on the guy though. One guy was really nice and let me know that the Montana Highway patrol sometimes give out tickets for it. No idea if true or just part of the interrogation process at the boarder
Old 05-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #6909
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was thinking about this a little more, and can you make an arguement that it some ways it is no different than a trailer as that would obscure your plate.

the only difference is that the trailer would also have a plate - that in the event of a photo ticket could likely be linked back to someone
Old 05-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #6910
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wet out there, headwind the entire way, my rain gear is meh. But I'm still a smilin' dude today.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #6911
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ran into Derek Lee at our kid's school music concert last night. He said West Bragg is good to go. He rode out there Monday and Tuesday.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #6912
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

no bike for me today, walked to work downtown and it was super pleasant. kind of misty and eerie by prince's island, that whole area is going to be beautiful, really hoping they finish soon but I don't think it's supposed to be complete till the end of the year.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #6913
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Ran into Derek Lee at our kid's school music concert last night. He said West Bragg is good to go. He rode out there Monday and Tuesday.
i am hoping to get out to see mr. merlin on sunday; however, this rain could put a damper on that as i will ahve to wait and see what the trail reprots look like on saturday
Old 05-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #6914
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So my usual route if I don't want to drive anywhere is down 12 Mile Coulee, through Bowmont Park, hit Sideshow Bob and back up. I usually don't really ride anywhere else in the city. I want to ride Fish Creek a little more than I do. What's every ones favorite trail in Fish Creek?
Old 05-12-2018, 12:12 AM   #6915
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hello collective cyclists, looking for some advice. I’m thinking about getting a bicycle as a gift for a friend. She currently has a mountain bike she claims fits her well and has had for years, but she likes the idea of a cruiser. Apparently vintage bikes are all the rage these days, and the prices on them seem a little bit whack to me.
Assuming I found something with an equivalent size, and you were a woman who likes ‘cute’ bikes, but doesn’t care much beyond that, would you rather have a new ‘retro’ inspired bike (Norco/Felt/Electra type), or a true vintage? Any suggestions on new ‘retro’ bikes that aren’t crap but affordable.
Or just go bike shopping together? But that kind of takes away the ‘gift’ thing.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:20 AM   #6916
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has she tried riding a cruiser in the parts of the city where she would do the most riding?

They are pretty heavy if you are thinking I those Electra style ones they have at Bow Cycle. They are kind of suited for level pathway biking, no?

I would just recommend making sure to rent one and try it out before buying one, otherwise it might just end up collecting dust and taking up space.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #6917
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

My wife wanted a cruiser bike too. So I got her one. After 3 years she's sick of it and wants a road bike.

They're everything Wormius has mentioned already. Heavy. No gears when you hit hills. Wide handlebars make for cumbersome tight turns. Depending on the style of bike and rack, transporting can be a pain.

They're fine if you're just following the kids around the neighbourhood but if you're planning a day of riding around the city or Fish Creek, she'll be cursing even the smallest hill you come across.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #6918
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_train View Post
Just a reminder to remember to take off your bike rack when your not using it. I just got a warning for my bike rack blocking my license plate.
Got a warning in Invermere 3 years ago, with a speeding ticket lol. He said he was "being nice" and not issuing the ticket for the rack obscuring the plate. We had no bikes on, it was folded up - he was just being a crank - it was easily visible. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many vehicles were driving around with them on, BC vehicles included. Told me to put the rack on my roof. Um, no thanks.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #6919
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Hello collective cyclists, looking for some advice. I’m thinking about getting a bicycle as a gift for a friend. She currently has a mountain bike she claims fits her well and has had for years, but she likes the idea of a cruiser. Apparently vintage bikes are all the rage these days, and the prices on them seem a little bit whack to me.
Assuming I found something with an equivalent size, and you were a woman who likes ‘cute’ bikes, but doesn’t care much beyond that, would you rather have a new ‘retro’ inspired bike (Norco/Felt/Electra type), or a true vintage? Any suggestions on new ‘retro’ bikes that aren’t crap but affordable.
Or just go bike shopping together? But that kind of takes away the ‘gift’ thing.
I'd say bike shop gift card. Or probe the person if they'd rather have something they can fix up (vintage) or something they can ride right away (electra)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #6920
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Electra townie with gears makes for a decent casual pathway bike. I wouldn't get the single speed versions. There still heavy tanks but you can spend a day riding comfortably with them.
Closed Thread