Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2024, 02:15 PM   #6861
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too cold for golf today

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:17 PM   #6862
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Too cold for golf today
I canceled my tee time in Phoenix as the temperature was 41C at the time I was supposed to start.

I played TPC Champions Thursday afternoon in 38C and I felt awful all night and didn't want to hop on a plane feeling like crap.
Old 05-31-2024, 09:23 PM   #6863
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I've played a bunch of Srixon and ProV's over the past year. I like the Srixons quite a bit and I think that those and ProV's are extremely similar. I think that this coming month (right around Fathers Day) Srixon runs a 2 for 1 deal and obviously, that might be worth having a look at if you want a good discount.
I've used Srixon Q Stars and really liked them.
My go to is TP5x though; particularly the pix balls.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:59 PM   #6864
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
My go to is TP5x though; particularly the pix balls.
I find this model to be really good in the wind. Doesn't balloon at all.
Old 06-01-2024, 08:09 PM   #6865
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I've played a bunch of Srixon and ProV's over the past year. I like the Srixons quite a bit and I think that those and ProV's are extremely similar. I think that this coming month (right around Fathers Day) Srixon runs a 2 for 1 deal and obviously, that might be worth having a look at if you want a good discount.
I've been playing Titleist Tour Soft or TP5x. Both seem to work well for me.
Old 06-23-2024, 03:31 PM   #6866
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hi looking for some advice on grips (ie how to hold the club). I posted on this a while back.

Older golfer, shoot in the 90s, drive about 220 and always trying for more distance. R shaft irons, S shaft driver to control my slice.

Have always used the 8 finger grip (ie right pinky finger on the club, no overlap or interlock), but its been suggested that I switch to an overlap. I am told the 8 finger grip is not very popular.

I have tried this the last few times on the range, and the overlap grip is not too bad for low and mid irons, but for woods and driver for sure I seem to have more control, and hit the ball much more solidly staying with the 8 finger grip. For driver the overlap feels loose.

Thoughts? Do golfers switich grips depending on the club? Thanks!
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 04:29 PM   #6867
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I've always used the interlock grip for every club. Last year I upgraded to midsize grips which helped me with gripping the club better.
Old 06-23-2024, 05:23 PM   #6868
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I had my driver midsize wrapped as well, it seemed to help (I have long fingers). Went with a tour grip, stiff shaft and a Taylor Made Sim Driver.

I've been following Rob Hogan on TikTok and using his driver theory along with a "strong" grip and it seems to work for me. No more thinking JUST THROW THE CLUB AT THE BALL MAROOCH

I now hit a light draw with a low ball flight. Before that was a ballooning slice. Occasional NASTY pull though.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2024, 10:19 PM   #6869
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Hi looking for some advice on grips (ie how to hold the club). I posted on this a while back.

Older golfer, shoot in the 90s, drive about 220 and always trying for more distance. R shaft irons, S shaft driver to control my slice.

Have always used the 8 finger grip (ie right pinky finger on the club, no overlap or interlock), but its been suggested that I switch to an overlap. I am told the 8 finger grip is not very popular.

I have tried this the last few times on the range, and the overlap grip is not too bad for low and mid irons, but for woods and driver for sure I seem to have more control, and hit the ball much more solidly staying with the 8 finger grip. For driver the overlap feels loose.

Thoughts? Do golfers switich grips depending on the club? Thanks!
I have always gone with the overlapping grip and midsize grips. Now don't take this the wrong way, but I don't understand how going to a stiff shaft with driver would help cure a slice in a slower swing speed player like yourself or me. I would think it would make it worse.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2024, 10:23 PM   #6870
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
I have always gone with the overlapping grip and midsize grips. Now don't take this the wrong way, but I don't understand how going to a stiff shaft with driver would help cure a slice in a slower swing speed player like yourself or me. I would think it would make it worse.
I went to a Taylormade SIM MAX D driver with a regular flex shaft and that has done wonders for my slice. I now keep a good 90% of my drives in the fairway.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:34 PM   #6871
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I went to a Taylormade SIM MAX D driver with a regular flex shaft and that has done wonders for my slice. I now keep a good 90% of my drives in the fairway.
I've got the Taylormade M6 in R flex at 12 degrees. Loft and high MOI are the senior golfer's friends.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:46 PM   #6872
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it seems crazy. I have Taylor Made sim 2s and have always liked a lower loft 9.0 driver. When I picked them up a couple years ago I could not hit a straight drive with the R shaft. Every drive went way right. I was really unhappy. The pro suggested a stiff shaft for the driver and I’m pretty much straight all the time. It’s weird. But I wonder if I am losing yards with the S shaft and low loft given my slow swing speed? Thanks.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 11:19 PM   #6873
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I know it seems crazy. I have Taylor Made sim 2s and have always liked a lower loft 9.0 driver. When I picked them up a couple years ago I could not hit a straight drive with the R shaft. Every drive went way right. I was really unhappy. The pro suggested a stiff shaft for the driver and I’m pretty much straight all the time. It’s weird. But I wonder if I am losing yards with the S shaft and low loft given my slow swing speed? Thanks.
The shaft could definitely be costing you yards, but I would try lofting up first, since you're already hitting it straight. At lower swing speeds more loft means more carry. It can add spin as well, but I have found it so much easier maxing out my distance at 12 degrees. And I hit driver longer at age 65 with 12 degrees of loft than I did at age 50 with 10 degrees.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 06:33 AM   #6874
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best thing I’ve done for my slice is (finally!!) accepting that I shouldn’t swing as hard. This game has a lot of perplexing aspects, but I basically hit the ball just as far because I make better contact, but keep it in the fairway or in play.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 07:18 AM   #6875
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just buy a 45 minute session on a trackman Sim and ask the pro to set you up with a readout of your swing path, face angle, attack angle, club head speed etc. You'll see very quickly what is causing your ball flight. It's almost always a negative, steep swing path that leads to slicing, I suspect, as opposed to leaving the face open (though obviously lots of people do both).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:17 PM   #6876
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I had my driver midsize wrapped as well, it seemed to help (I have long fingers). Went with a tour grip, stiff shaft and a Taylor Made Sim Driver.

I've been following Rob Hogan on TikTok and using his driver theory along with a "strong" grip and it seems to work for me. No more thinking JUST THROW THE CLUB AT THE BALL MAROOCH

I now hit a light draw with a low ball flight. Before that was a ballooning slice. Occasional NASTY pull though.
Teaching pros seem to like the pull as a mistake - it's almosta sign you are doing thing right.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow