Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #6821
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

30T Raceface Cinch. I tried to post a pic but can't re-size on my phone. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Thought about going down to 28, now I'm wondering if I should have. It didn't look like I should take out any links so left the chain as-is.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #6822
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nearly done the bikepacking rig. Adjusted the rear mech yesterday, wired up the dynamo and front light. Have not test ridden this beast yet. Waiting for it to dry out then can tweak everything and get it where I need it, then to kit it out with gear!

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #6823
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow the sweep on that handlebar looks massive.

are you worried about getting a bunch of contaniments and potentially getting beaver fever or something else on that water bottle on the outside of the downtube
Old 04-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #6824
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the bars are 710mm, they are huge. They can be cut down if I find they are too big.

https://imgur.com/C8uA3TE
https://imgur.com/QDM8ue9

Not super worried, the Nalgene cap covers the threads, I've also seen people put a Ziploc bag with a rubber band over the top to keep contaminants out so I may do that. Or I may move the mount, haven't really set the bike up yet, just trying things.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 PM   #6825
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone been out to Moab? Heading in Oct and looking for some tips/trails to check out.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #6826
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Anyone been out to Moab? Heading in Oct and looking for some tips/trails to check out.
It's been a long time for me, spent two weeks there once and had the time of my life. The Whole Enchilada is one that wasn't built when I was there but it gets rave reviews. Slickrock and Porcupine Rim are classics that are a ton of fun.

If your legs are tired, you can check out Canyonlands and Arches NAtional Parks, they're both incredible as well.

So much to do, there's a ton of online reviews.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #6827
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post

The classics:
Slickrock - not the best trail here, but it's the trail that Moab became famous for, so it's a must do.
Porcupine Rim or if you can, the Whole Enchilada. Porcupine Rim is the last section of the Whole Enchilada. 26 miles, almost all of it is downhill. This is worth the shuttle fee.
Amasa Back - I love this ride. Can be full of jeeps in the beginning. The view is amazing
Sovereign - fun singletrack

Newer but a ton of fun
Na###o rocks
Magnificent 7
Hymasa/Captain Ahab - a must do
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #6828
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode my bike to work for the first time ever today. Took me 27 minutes which is quicker than taking the LRT. I did sweat like a pig though and had to give myself a sponge bath essentially, so I'll have to figure something out in that regard.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #6829
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Rode my bike to work for the first time ever today. Took me 27 minutes which is quicker than taking the LRT. I did sweat like a pig though and had to give myself a sponge bath essentially, so I'll have to figure something out in that regard.
I like baby wipes for this. bring a change of clothes deodorant and some hair product and blam you're good. oh maybe a towl if its a lot of sweat.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #6830
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also suggest trying to dress cooler, and not riding with as much effort in the morning.

shave and stuff like that the night before.

I feel very fiortunate to work in a building with a public shower available.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:03 PM   #6831
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friday is Bike to Work day, 6am to 9am at Eau Claire Market. Should have a free breakfast available and bike shops showing their wares. I won't be able to make it this year but will still be riding in to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #6832
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boo Bigtime! You expect me to sit and drink my coffee alone? I might have to talk to strangers. Booo.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #6833
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, strangers are the worst, plus a bunch of them will be pathletes. Us year round warriors should have a badge or something to denote us, so proper respect is paid at all times by them.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #6834
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
The classics:
Slickrock - not the best trail here, but it's the trail that Moab became famous for, so it's a must do.
Porcupine Rim or if you can, the Whole Enchilada. Porcupine Rim is the last section of the Whole Enchilada. 26 miles, almost all of it is downhill. This is worth the shuttle fee.
Amasa Back - I love this ride. Can be full of jeeps in the beginning. The view is amazing
Sovereign - fun singletrack

Newer but a ton of fun
Na###o rocks
Magnificent 7
Hymasa/Captain Ahab - a must do

Yeah to all of these and a close to town classic Pipe Dream. 5 Distinct ride areas to hit, place never gets boring! Also if you get a chance hit Fruita also. Free water fills at Gearheads and ride all day and reload at the Brewery at night. Place is mtb paradise

Good site to see what you are getting into before you go : http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/idx-main.htm lots of video of trails

Here is Pipe Dream http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/pipedream.htm

Always need to go back because they are always building new trails.

Last edited by macker; 05-01-2018 at 02:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #6835
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the trails guys! Glad I have a place to start, but I'm starting to think I should have booked more vacation...

Asides from the Whole Enchilada, I'm assuming I don't need to shuttle? We'll likely only have one vehicle down there.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #6836
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rode for two weeks and wasn't ready to leave. It's awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #6837
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know where the longest uninterrupted stretch of the Greenway is to ride? We tried the NE bit awhile ago, and it is really annoying having to go around all the intersections. Is the NW better?
Old 05-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #6838
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The Parks Foundation website has this route for the longest completed part of the Greenway. There's probably style a bunch of roads to cross along the way though. I don't know how unavoidable that is.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...14.075694&z=11
Old 05-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #6839
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Ugh, strangers are the worst, plus a bunch of them will be pathletes. Us year round warriors should have a badge or something to denote us, so proper respect is paid at all times by them.
Don't you have a secret handshake or code phrase to identify each other?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #6840
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I was looking at a few of those. I think I've been deceived as to what the greenway is. I thought it was going to be a dedicated trail following the ring road. Much of it looks like "here's a route that will get you going in that rough direction". That whole section from Glenmore northish is ugly. My wife is looking for something safer than riding on a country road but I don't think this is it.
Closed Thread