Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2024, 10:22 PM   #6801
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Wow another disgusting post I didn't see until now. Pointman ran from Ukraine to Israel because someone invaded and wants to steal land...oh the irony.
Not that it really matters, but I’m pretty sure he fled Russia because he opposed the invasion of Ukraine.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 10:38 PM   #6802
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Not that it really matters, but I’m pretty sure he fled Russia because he opposed the invasion of Ukraine.
My bad, point still stands. He fled a country because he opposes an invasion but then fled to an occupying country that is currently stealing more and more land. Kind of a hypocrite if you ask me.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:10 PM   #6803
Skootenbeeten
Backup Goalie

Exp:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...srael-00159020

Biden telling it like it is.

Last edited by Skootenbeeten; 05-20-2024 at 11:13 PM.
Skootenbeeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:27 AM   #6804
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
The fleeing happened when the drafting started. It wasn't some protest.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:38 AM   #6805
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can usually spot the people fighting for good and reason as the ones seizing media equipment and blinding the world to their actions.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 07:39 AM   #6806
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously AP is secret Hamas and them getting booted out of Gaza and having their equipment confiscated is a light punishment for their true crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:51 AM   #6807
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Obviously AP is secret Hamas and them getting booted out of Gaza and having their equipment confiscated is a light punishment for their true crimes
Frankly they should be happy Israel didn't just drop a 2000lb bomb on it.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:09 AM   #6808
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

This is where the posters comparing University protests (that included Jewish students) to Nazism come in and remind us that the Nazis also restricted and controlled press.

Because this is about what’s right to them… right?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 06:59 PM   #6809
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't this symbolic in nature? Neither Israel or Hamas are signatories to the Rome Statute, so does this really do anything?

Kinda seems like "thoughts and prayers" for an elementary school being filled full of bullets IMO.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:14 PM   #6810
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Isn't this symbolic in nature? Neither Israel or Hamas are signatories to the Rome Statute, so does this really do anything?

Kinda seems like "thoughts and prayers" for an elementary school being filled full of bullets IMO.
I dunno but I know when an arrest warrant was issued for Putin, people loved it.

Now it's "symbolic in nature"..
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:59 PM   #6811
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno but I know when an arrest warrant was issued for Putin, people loved it.

Now it's "symbolic in nature"..
I appreciate your unhelpful anecdote offered as a response to my legitimate question.

Last edited by DoubleK; 05-22-2024 at 02:32 PM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 04:20 AM   #6812
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
If your question is does that mean they can't be arrested (if warrants are issuesd) and tried as the low life terrorist murdering scum that they are.

Then no. It is not symbolic in nature except to symbolize to the world that they are both considered to be worthy of being tried as criminals.

Putin. Gadaffi. Milosevic. Hamas. The democratically elected leader of the state of Israel

Quote:
A panel of judges at the ICC now will consider whether to issue the arrest warrants. States signed up to the ICC’s Rome Statute would then be obliged to detain the men if they had the chance.

The 124 signatories do not include Russia, China and the US. Israel has not signed either.

But the ICC has ruled that it does have legal authority to prosecute criminal acts in the war because the Palestinians are signatories.

If the arrest warrants are issued, it would mean that Mr Netanyahu, Israel’s longest-serving prime minister, would not be able to visit close Western allies without risking arrest.

UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said the ICC’s actions were "not helpful to reaching a pause in the fighting, getting hostages out or humanitarian aid in". But if the warrants are issued, Britain would have to make the arrests, unless it could argue successfully that Mr Netanyahu had diplomatic immunity.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cw4490z75v3o

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 05:48 AM   #6813
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Norway, Ireland, and Spain have formally recognized Palestine.

https://apnews.com/article/norway-pa...977b9c89c43dbc

Quote:
TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — Norway, Ireland and Spain said Wednesday they would recognize a Palestinian state, a historic but largely symbolic move that further deepens Israel’s isolation more than seven months into its grinding war against Hamas in Gaza. Israel immediately denounced the decisions and recalled its ambassadors to the three countries.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 09:19 AM   #6814
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The west is out of hand, led by America. The ICC is apparently "built for Africa and for thugs like Putin" and not for the west and its allies... How about everyone, including Putin?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1792728211274768431
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 10:55 AM   #6815
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is there no warrant for Hassan Nasrallah? Are daily missile attacks into civilian areas not war crimes? Tens of thousands of Israelis remain displaced from their homes because of the ongoing attacks. And the firing by Iran of cruise and ballistic missiles? Or is it because those missiles were largely intercepted without significant death and destruction (thankfully)?

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 05-22-2024 at 11:03 AM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:02 AM   #6816
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Why is there no warrant for Hassan Nasrallah? Are daily missile attacks into civilian areas not war crimes? Tens of thousands of Israelis remain displaced from their homes because of the ongoing attacks. And the firing by Iran of cruise and ballistic missiles? Or is it because those missiles were largely intercepted without significant death and destruction (thankfully) that the ICJ chose not to investigate?
Ah the old whatabboitism argument.

There is no warrant for Nasrallah because there is no warrant for Nasrallah. That's your answer.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:09 AM   #6817
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Ah the old whatabboitism argument.

There is no warrant for Nasrallah because there is no warrant for Nasrallah. That's your answer.
I wonder if on his press tour Mr Khan has been asked the question.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:16 AM   #6818
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Why is there no warrant for Hassan Nasrallah? Are daily missile attacks into civilian areas not war crimes? Tens of thousands of Israelis remain displaced from their homes because of the ongoing attacks. And the firing by Iran of cruise and ballistic missiles? Or is it because those missiles were largely intercepted without significant death and destruction (thankfully)?
I think the easy answer is that the ICC only hears a case where either the offense was committed in a country that is a signatory or if the perpetrator's country of origin is a signatory.

The state of Palestine is a signatory so the ICC will investigate crimes that are committed there.

Neither Lebanon or Iran or Israel are signatories, so all of those conflicts are outside of the purview of the ICC.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:34 AM   #6819
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why should the Arabs make peace? If I was an Arab leader I would never make terms with Israel. That is natural: we have taken their country. Sure, God promised it to us, but what does that matter to them? Our God is not theirs. We come from Israel, it's true, but two thousand years ago, and what is that to them? There has been anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They only see one thing: we have come here and stolen their country. Why should they accept that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ben-Gurion

And so, here we are...decades later, perpetuating exactly what was known so long ago. So I gotta ask, how is what Israel is doing now going to solve anything?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:56 AM   #6820
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ben-Gurion

And so, here we are...decades later, perpetuating exactly what was known so long ago. So I gotta ask, how is what Israel is doing now going to solve anything?
There are people on both sides who need to accept that the other side exists. If you are trying to use military conflict to end the other side, it's not going to end well.

And despite what your out of context quote says, Israel was founded legally by the UN, and the land that Israel was founded on was almost entirely already owned by Jewish people.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote