Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2022, 01:33 PM   #6781
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be pretty dang surprised if Patrick Kane agreed to come to Calgary, even just as a TDL acquisition.

My bet is the Rangers, Colorado, Tampa or Florida in that order.

Also, not a fan of high priced rentals.

Barely move the needle and only for a short time, and that's if they can actually find some chemistry in the limited amount of time between the TDL and playoffs.

I'd rather use those type of assets and get a guy like Konecny, for example.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 01:35 PM   #6782
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'd be pretty dang surprised if Patrick Kane agreed to come to Calgary, even just as a TDL acquisition.

My bet is the Rangers, Colorado, Tampa or Florida in that order.
Why would those be your guesses but not Calgary? The guy is a Buffalo legend, I’d have that team on a Kane list.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #6783
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Why would those be your guesses but not Calgary? The guy is a Buffalo legend, I’d have that team on a Kane list.
I highly doubt Buffalo will be buying at the trade deadline.

The teams I guessed are contenders.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #6784
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick Kane is not coming here or anywhere else in Canada. Also, Craig Button is an idiot.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:39 PM   #6785
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giroux return was Owen Tippet, 1st and 3rd.

What makes things interesting is if the Flames continue to accumulate cap space, they will be sitting around 6M by the trade deadline. Probably could get it done a few weeks earlier with that amount.

I didn't read the article, but I bet the Flames are one of the few teams that would be able to make the trade without bringing in another team to reduce the cap hit. Not bringing in that 3rd team would be easier and not as costly.

Not saying it wll happen, but Flames are in a decent position with their 1st in this draft (seems it is worth a bit more than a normal 1st) and the cap space.

Aves are another team in the similar situation.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:39 PM   #6786
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado will be the team for Kane IMO.

Of the top contenders in the US they have the most cap space, have bled fewer assets than the other teams, and would probably be his preferred destination.

Only thing holding it back IMO would be that Colorado would probably prefer to spend assets to get another center which is the bigger area of need for them.

Oilers have no space, Florida already needs to clear space just to bring Duclair back when he's healthy, I'm not sure how Rangers would create space for a move.

Honestly should be a buyers market at the trade deadline this year. 13 teams are already in LTIR and have that space pretty much maxed out already. 4 more teams have less than $250k of space.

Only 5 playoff teams from last year have cap space:

LA: $1.3M
Calgary: $1.4M
Colorado: $1.4M
Nashville: $1.7M
Minnesota: $2.6M

Depending how the season goes there might be not many teams able or looking to buy at the deadline.

I laugh at the people saying the Oilers, they are already using the total of the $7M LTIR pool they have.

Of course thought much like with Eichel last year all it takes is one big ticket injury to change the entire landscape and make a deal much easier.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-17-2022 at 01:49 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 01:44 PM   #6787
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Just feels like it will be the Rangers. Go play with Panarin again. Cup contender most likely. Also, y'know, its NYC.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #6788
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Patrick Kane is not coming here or anywhere else in Canada.

Does that mean he is not going to Edmonton?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #6789
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels like the Rangers, but should that stop us from bidding? Absolutely not IMO. Coronato, our 1st... we have pieces we can dangle that will land us pieces like Kane. If the product on the ice looks like a contender, why would he say no for 3-6 months and another shot at the cup?

I think it's a valid thing to speculate about. Flames need a RW and one of the best RWs of the last 30 years is potentially on the market.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:23 PM   #6790
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wouldnt waste the assets, personally. It is very rare that a rental comes in and moves the needle much for the acquiring team, not enough time to acclimatise to the system. Hard pass from me if it was an option, which I dont think it will be.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:32 PM   #6791
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane would be an unreal fit for this current flames team but I would hate to give up the assets for what turns into a handful of games and a playoff run. I look at Florida last year and just done want to go down the path.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #6792
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the avs give up a king's ransom for him. He isn't a good fit and doesn't improve the team, but they get worse in the long run for giving up assets to get him.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:47 PM   #6793
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Patrick Kane is not coming here or anywhere else in Canada. Also, Craig Button is an idiot.
Why you make predictions with such confidence, I’ll never know.

I don’t think Button is an idiot as he’s just guessing at best fit (and Kane is a great fit for us). He probably won’t come here and we probably won’t want to give up the ask to bring him here, but fit wise? Yeah, 100% a great fit.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #6794
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why you make predictions with such confidence, I’ll never know.

I don’t think Button is an idiot as he’s just guessing at best fit (and Kane is a great fit for us). He probably won’t come here and we probably won’t want to give up the ask to bring him here, but fit wise? Yeah, 100% a great fit.
He's from Buffalo, played junior in Canada, and lived his whole adult life in Chicago. I doubt coming to Canada for a few months would scare him. He'll be playing for his next contract, so I think he'd be happy going anywhere if it allows him to showcase himself. I imagine playing opposite of Huberdeau would be a great opportunity to do that.

I think any trade for Kane starts with at least Coronato or Wolf, plus a first. That would be a difficult one to swallow.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:04 PM   #6795
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
He's from Buffalo, played junior in Canada, and lived his whole adult life in Chicago. I doubt coming to Canada for a few months would scare him. He'll be playing for his next contract, so I think he'd be happy going anywhere if it allows him to showcase himself. I imagine playing opposite of Huberdeau would be a great opportunity to do that.

I think any trade for Kane starts with at least Coronato or Wolf, plus a first. That would be a difficult one to swallow.
If Kane comes here it’s definitely going to be one of those trades where you better win the cup or it’s going to look really really ugly.

Still… you know… maybe you do it. It’d be so fun to watch.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 03:04 PM   #6796
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

He'll accept a trade to whatever team gives him the best chance to win again and look good doing it. Doesn't mean he'll sign long term with that same team in the summer but he'll go to whomever gives him the best chances for this season.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:04 PM   #6797
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t think Button is an idiot as he’s just guessing at best fit (and Kane is a great fit for us).
Never forget, Craig Button is the man who traded away J. S. Giguere so he could keep Freddy Brathwaite; let Martin St. Louis walk for nothing; and then, having traded Marc Savard for a roll of stick tape to placate his coach, turned around and promptly fired the coach.

He may not be an idiot, but he is not a man I would go to for advice on how to build a hockey team.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:09 PM   #6798
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Never forget, Craig Button is the man who traded away J. S. Giguere so he could keep Freddy Brathwaite; let Martin St. Louis walk for nothing; and then, having traded Marc Savard for a roll of stick tape to placate his coach, turned around and promptly fired the coach.

He may not be an idiot, but he is not a man I would go to for advice on how to build a hockey team.
In fact we paid Martin. St Louis to leave...

The Flames exposed him in the 2000 NHL Expansion Draft, but after he went unselected, the team bought out his contract and made him an unrestricted free agent.[6]
Old 10-17-2022, 03:18 PM   #6799
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I mean this in the nicest way possible but if you can’t even entertain Button’s opinion as an analyst because of bad trades he made 20+ years ago… for players who have since retired, then it’s probably time to do the healthy thing and move on.

Never forget? Sure, I guess. But maybe try not to remember every time his name is mentioned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 03:22 PM   #6800
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
In fact we paid Martin. St Louis to leave...

The Flames exposed him in the 2000 NHL Expansion Draft, but after he went unselected, the team bought out his contract and made him an unrestricted free agent.[6]
Yeah, that one hurt. He played with a lot of energy at the end of his last season and looked like a player worth keeping. But then Button came in and wanted to add his guys. I had the THN season preview magazine after that season and in the Flames section, they specifically mentioned St. Louis as a bright spot in the Flames future. I don't think anyone would have predicted that he would become the point producer in the NHL that he did, but I recall being pretty mad when we bought him out.

He did go unclaimed on waivers though, and then the Sens declined to pick him up when he went there on a PTO. Even Tampa made him a regular scratch at first after they signed him. Everything he went through, including being bought out by the Flames probably helped him. There is a good chance that he never would have developed the same way even if he stayed.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-17-2022 at 03:24 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post: