Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #661
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the same problem that many modern movies have. They want to have something for everyone, so they just cram it full of characters, but then they don't have any time to really do anything with those characters.

It's like the Batman films and trying to have as many villains as possible in each one (which was especially bad when they felt the need to show everyone's origin story).

I think that's why The Mandalorian worked so well, it's just a guy and his Yoda baby with a few guest stars each episode. It's basically the old Incredible Hulk/Littlest Hobo/A-Team style.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #662
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I believe that the Mandalorian premise came from one line in the PT

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.

You build on that premise and the story becomes simple because you become morally grey.

It just works

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #663
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good on Boyega.

The sequel trilogy was a complete piece of !@#$ that was doomed to fail because it was a rushed string of three stories incoherently run together as the studio continually stepped over (and on-top of) the creative teams that actually drive success.

...and yes it failed even though it made boat loads of money. They saw diminishing returns every time out and have now exhausted the franchise after 3 movies due to poor quality. Meanwhile Marvel bangs out multiple films a year and we all love them because they are entertaining and tell a cohesive story.

!@#$ those movies.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #664
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The thing with MCU is each character had backstory material to draw from. So literally years of storytelling was in place for each hero they would add to the eventual ensemble.

When you're trying to MCU your franchise but you're basically improvising with each character's story without any well thought out plan mapped out for you then you'd better be smart and clever on your feet. Killing off all three original heroes after they drop some cliche wisdom was the best they could come up with for the characters we care about. Even the new characters didn't really undergo any type development or overcome a personal struggle outside of Kylo. I guess Rey found an identity? But she could have decided "I'm going to be a skywalker" in a fraction of a movie after meeting Han/Leia. It shouldn't require a ####ing trilogy. Thats like Luke deciding he wants to be a Jedi. How long did it take him to draw that conclusion? Literally a quarter way into ANH. Then look at all the struggle and conflict he overcame over the three films where there was real genuine development.

If only we could wipe our memory and press reset.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #665
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just read this tidbit on reddit

Quote:
In order to prevent the twist of Vader being Luke's father being spoiled in The Empire Strikes Back (1980), the line written in the script and spoken during filming was "Obi-Wan killed your father", with it later dubbed over. Of the main cast, only Mark Hamill was informed before release.
Kinda cool, I had no idea.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #666
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Just read this tidbit on reddit

Kinda cool, I had no idea.

There's some great documentaries on this, they did it mainly because David Prowse was a big blabber mouth, and they worried that he was already a big disgruntled because Lucas didn't use his voice.

I remember watching an interview with JEJ, when he got the line to dub in "I am your father" his first reaction was "He's lying".

I was always intrigued by the idea of Ben killing Luke's father, which would have spun things into a whole different and interesting direction.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #667
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #668
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pft, I'd be honored to be dubbed over by James Earl Jones.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #669
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that George really really wanted Orson Welles to be the voice of Vader. I'm amazed at how perfect Vader's voice was especially in Empire.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #670
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't have gone wrong with either voice, but James Earl Jones was obviously the better choice here.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #671
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So you're Kenobi's grand daughter, then your nobody, now Palpatine's your grand dad, no he's not, then ya he is. It just sounds like such a disconnected trilogy and then panic

https://twitter.com/user/status/1303562879661150208

Old 09-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #672
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still amazed that Disney just went with "winging it" as a plan for this trilogy.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #673
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does the parent company have an arm of their business that mapped out and planned a story arc over a decade and nearly two dozen movies and this is the best they could do with the easiest Slam-Dunk Franchise of all time.

It boggles the mind.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #674
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm still amazed that Disney just went with "winging it" as a plan for this trilogy.
I presume the plan was to trot out a safe movie in TFA and gauge fan reaction (and profits). Based off that, they feel they can now take the story in a new direction. Oops! Catastrophic failure! Abort! Abort! Better make the third movie safe to recover and double up the dosages of fan service.

The result is a 'trilogy' that is not connected in any way, shape or form.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #675
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think that George really really wanted Orson Welles to be the voice of Vader. I'm amazed at how perfect Vader's voice was especially in Empire.

I kept expecting to hear Pinky yell "NARF!" after each line.

I'd love to hear Harvey Fierstein reading Vader's lines - it'd completely change everything about Star Wars.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #676
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I presume the plan was to trot out a safe movie in TFA and gauge fan reaction (and profits). Based off that, they feel they can now take the story in a new direction. Oops! Catastrophic failure! Abort! Abort! Better make the third movie safe to recover and double up the dosages of fan service.

The result is a 'trilogy' that is not connected in any way, shape or form.
I have no idea how they could ever authorize Johnson to make such major re-writes to plot established in the first movie.

I guess the idea was since Thor: Ragnarok and GoTG were so popular at the time, everything had to be full of quips and subverting audience expectations?

The Rey Kenobi arc makes a lot of sense actually. A lot of her mannerisms are similar to Kenobi's, and looking back on TFA, it now seems obvious that now seems like a logical arc to follow.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #677
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I have no idea how they could ever authorize Johnson to make such major re-writes to plot established in the first movie.

I guess the idea was since Thor: Ragnarok and GoTG were so popular at the time, everything had to be full of quips and subverting audience expectations?

The Rey Kenobi arc makes a lot of sense actually. A lot of her mannerisms are similar to Kenobi's, and looking back on TFA, it now seems obvious that now seems like a logical arc to follow.

When I watched TFA and I said this at the time. Rey fought with rage and anger against Ren, and she was only saved when the earth split in front of her. But going back and watching that fight, it contained a lot of elements from Anakin fighting Dooku in ROTS, and Sidious fighting Mace in ROTS. That's why I went with the theory that she was a fail safe made in a lab by Palpatine to clone Anakin in case Palpatine lost or had to kill the real Vader.

I really didn't like the theory of Kenobi being the Grandfather. He dedicated his life after the Jedi to watching Luke from afar. That was his only goal in life, and I couldn't see him having a wife or a girl friend, mainly because he would have seen that the main reason for Anakin's fall was about attachment, and he would have avoided it at all costs.

I mean can you imagine Palpatine sex, with his little quips.

Good good I can feel your hatred growing like $$ $$$$$

The dark side of the force leads to many powers that could be considered to be un natural . . . . you get the point.

By the way, the biggest thing that just pissed me off about that last movie was the stupid portrayal of Palpatine who went from brilliant politician and Sith hiding in front of the Jedi, to uber powerful Sith Lord to harsh breathing corpsy monster of the week with a pole up his butt villian with no subtlety.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #678
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its like they picked story directions with a Magic 8-Ball.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #679
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This is really on Katleen Kennedy who was the producer for the trilogy, its her job to make sure of the over arching storyline because they were using different writers and directors for the films.

The stories of her actively re writing who segments of the last two movies were interesting reads to say the least.

By the time JJ got back involved, the story line had been wrecked beyond comprehension as had a lot of the characters.

She's still rumored to be gone when her contract expires I think next year.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #680
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Plus, they got Alec Guinness' voice to say "Rey" during that flashback in TFA. Turns out, that was a great big nothing burger.

Great story telling guys.

After TFA I had such high hopes for an awesome story arc. The flaws of the movies has been discussed ad nauseum, but one thing seemingly no one talks about is how infallible Rey became. So much promise for a great story surrounding here in TFA, then it falls apart. For God's sake, even Luke needed training and help every step of the way during his journey, meanwhile Rey just decides to become a Jedi like it ain't no thang. Where's the journey? Where are the setbacks and redemption? I suppose her character development is intertwined with the plot which was ####ty, but still.