Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #661
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat scoring:

1. Jessiman (Nemisz, Wilson)
2. Wilson (Kolanos, Horak)
3. Sylvester (Walter, Kolanos)
4. Wilson (unassisted, into empty net)

Taylor stopped 26/28 shots.

Going back to the regular season, the Heat have now won 10 games in a row, and are 11-0-1 in their last 12.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #662
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the Heat will be off until Sunday or Monday, as seemingly everyone will get a couple days off between rounds.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #663
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat will play either Toronto or Oklahoma

Depends on who wins between Chicago and San Antonio
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #664
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Heat will play either Toronto or Oklahoma

Depends on who wins between Chicago and San Antonio
I hope we get Oklahoma. No better time to take them out then now, with winning 11 of the last 12 games now. Better to get them when we are playing are best than perhaps make it past Toronto but get beat up, just to get handed by OKC.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #665
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does Irving not start for the Heat? Is he hurt? Perhaps I don't pay as much attention to the Heat as I should but I did must admit I was suprised at that.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #666
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Does Irving not start for the Heat? Is he hurt? Perhaps I don't pay as much attention to the Heat as I should but I did must admit I was suprised at that.
He was up and down from the Flames, then his wife gave birth.

Meanwhile Taylor has been playing great so Ward is riding the hot hand.

As mentioned, the Heat have won 11 of 12 and 10 straight......I think Irving only started in one or two of those games......hard to make a change at this point.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #667
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I came to ask the same thing...how come Irving isn't starting? You would think playing in the playoffs would be good for his development, after all isn't that the point.

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #668
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
I came to ask the same thing...how come Irving isn't starting? You would think playing in the playoffs would be good for his development, after all isn't that the point.
The organization's standpoint is that winning is best for everyone's development. Therefore, they ride the hot goalie for awhile.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #669
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

A friend of mine was at the game tonight. He thought the Admirals outplayed the Heat for the most part but they (Admirals) took too many penalties. He said he was hoping to see more minutes from Reinhardt. Any one else at the game with an opinion? I don't think Ward is really comfortable putting out the young guys....Even in regular season games I think he prefers experience over developing young guys. Also think he prefers college guys to CHL players.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #670
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

For comparison's sake..

HEAT VS. TORONTO [2-2-0]
10/26: lost 5-0 [Irving L 2 goals on 7 shots, Ortio 3 goals on 24 shots]
2/4: lost 5-2 [Taylor L; Horak and Wilson score]
4/13: won 3-0 [Taylor W; Jessiman, Rheault and Wilson score]
4/15: won 5-4 (OT) [Irving W; Reinhart (2), Eddy and Tuzzolino (2) score]
Goalies: Irving [1-1-0], Taylor [1-1-0]

HEAT VS. OKLAHOMA CITY [2-5-1]
11/3: lost 3-2 [Irving L; Byron and Kolanos score]
11/5: lost (in OT) 4-3 [Ortio OTL; Walter and Nemisz (2) score]
11/18: lost 4-1 [Irving L; Rheault scored]
11/19: win 4-2 [Irving W; Nemisz, Wilson, Desbiens and Rheault score]
1/14: win 2-1 [Taylor W; Dowling and Rheault score]
1/15: lost 3-1 [Taylor L; Kolanos scored]
2/9: lost 4-0 [Karlsson L]
2/11: lost 2-1 [Karlsson L; Walter scored]
Goalies: Irving [1-2-0], Ortio [0-0-1], Taylor [1-1-0], Karlsson [0-2-0]

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #671
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
A friend of mine was at the game tonight. He thought the Admirals outplayed the Heat for the most part but they (Admirals) took too many penalties. He said he was hoping to see more minutes from Reinhardt. Any one else at the game with an opinion? I don't think Ward is really comfortable putting out the young guys....Even in regular season games I think he prefers experience over developing young guys. Also think he prefers college guys to CHL players.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to the game tonight, but it sounded like Reinhart started getting more minutes once the Heat went up 2-0, but had limited ice time when the score was 0-0 and 2-2.

To be honest, it's not that Ward has a preference of playing vets over young guys. It's just that Reinhart doesn't have a complete understanding of the systems yet. In fact, Ward was gushing about Reinhart in his post-game interview calling him "very smart" and "brilliant".

Anyways, VERY happy that they're moving on. Both Toronto and OKC are going to be tough opponents, but like Ward said: they're a different team this time around.

EDIT - Also, for those who missed it, Ken King during the 2nd intermission said there will be players that are on the Heat now who will be playing for the Flames next year. While it may seem obvious, it just sort of confirms that Nemisz, Irving, Horak, Reinhart, Kolanos, Wilson, etc. have a shot at making the team permanently.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 04-26-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #672
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers

I liked the little shot that King took at the Canucks, saying that he expects the crowds in the second round to be bigger because it's one place in BC where there's still hockey being played.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #673
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I liked the little shot that King took at the Canucks, saying that he expects the crowds in the second round to be bigger because it's one place in BC where there's still hockey being played.
Haha I laughed at that as well.

I also liked what he said about him liking that the Abbotsford is a) only an hour flight from Calgary, and b) in Canada. He said he liked that the Heat were in Canada because it helps American and European players get acclimated to Canadian culture easier. Just makes sense.

Also, with Ken King in attendance and Sylvester getting the huge game winning goal, I can't see how they don't sign that kid to a deal in the offseason. Nice to hear that it was Ward who suggested the Flames give him a shot. He hasn't disappointed in his rookie season, that's for sure.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #674
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Hey Pierre, how was the attendance last night? This streak has to be doing some PR legwork for the team.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #675
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Hey Pierre, how was the attendance last night? This streak has to be doing some PR legwork for the team.
officially, 3406

pretty lame for a playoff game
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #676
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Quote:
officially, 3406

pretty lame for a playoff game
I actually think that is not too bad for a Wednesday night. That is pretty much on par for a weekend game in the regular season and a definite increase from most weekday games.

With most Canucks fans still in disbelief and mourning, it may take a couple days to move on. If the Heat can get a weekend game or two during round two, I would expect attendance to increase.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #677
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Heat play Toronto in the next round is there any chance CBC picks up any games? I know CBC in the past did a few AHL games but I don't recall if they cover the playoffs.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #678
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Troy Ward on Reinhart:

Quote:
Ward didn't spare the superlatives in evaluating the "extremely intelligent" rookie.
"He's as bright a guy as we have in that locker room without the puck," the Heat bench boss said of Reinhart. "He's in another world. He's a very smart guy, very calculated about the ice he takes.
"The organization's got a very good player going forward."
http://www.abbynews.com/sports/heat/news/149010075.html

interesting, Troy Ward scouted and recruited Dustin Sylvester

also, may be gamesmanship or not tipping his hand, but Ward suggests that Irving might play next round, depending on the opponent

Last edited by Canada 02; 04-26-2012 at 01:13 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #679
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping that the Heat will be playing Sunday May 6th, I'm driving through to Vancouver that day and if the Heat are playing, I'm definitely stopping and watching the game.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #680
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
I actually think that is not too bad for a Wednesday night. That is pretty much on par for a weekend game in the regular season and a definite increase from most weekday games.

With most Canucks fans still in disbelief and mourning, it may take a couple days to move on. If the Heat can get a weekend game or two during round two, I would expect attendance to increase.
Yeah, that's about 400-600 people more than they usually get on weekday games, so it's not too bad. Obviously, we'd all like to see more, which I think we will in round 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
If the Heat play Toronto in the next round is there any chance CBC picks up any games? I know CBC in the past did a few AHL games but I don't recall if they cover the playoffs.
Not likely. CBC is still very much involved in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, so I don't think they're willing to cover small market games. From what I understand, last season when the CBC agreed with the AHL to cover some games it didn't get enough viewership, so they decided not to renew their agreement.

Quote:
Troy Ward on Reinhart:

http://www.abbynews.com/sports/heat/news/149010075.html

[snip]

interesting, Troy Ward scouted and recruited Dustin Sylvester

also, may be gamesmanship or not tipping his hand, but Ward suggests that Irving might play next round, depending on the opponent
I was surprised as well to hear Ward recruited Sylvester. I assumed it was all the time spent scouting the Ice that made them decide on Sylvester, but apparently not. I'm interested to know what how Ward came to know of Sylvester.

I also really like what Ward said about Reinhart. If Ward says Reinhart is "brilliant" then he's brilliant. That's some HUGE praise having only played two pro games. I'm pretty confident Reinhart will be on the Flames next season. Maybe not to start the season, but I could see him going the path of Brodie.

Looking at the records Freeway posted of each goalies' record against Toronto and OKC, it looks like Ward can't go wrong choosing either guy. Both have very similar records against each team.

Tags
heat