Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2024, 04:16 PM   #661
FusionX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Bad look imo. The fact that you ultimately decided to roll the dice on 2 other subpar moves shows that you have/had a need or demand. We have the supply. Pay our price or you don't get it. That's the market, not extortion lol. Honestly if he's going to accuse other GMs of extortion when he doesn't get what he wants, I'd be worried NJ fans.

Don't get an asset, "they were trying to extort me!"

Get an asset but overpay, "they extorted me! Not my fault!"

Nothing will be his fault, including the upcoming wasted years of the team's prime.
FusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:16 PM   #662
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
And Conroy just raised the price for the summer.
Connie gonna trade him to Philly or Carolina now just so jersey has to play him more often now
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:19 PM   #663
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have already sent a box of soothers to Fitzgerald. Ha. Ha.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:21 PM   #664
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like Conroy was looking to trade Markstrom, other teams were the ones desperate and inquiring. Of course Connie's gonna give you what it will take to move him. Take it or leave it Fitz. Good luck with your subpar goalies going forward.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:21 PM   #665
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 04:22 PM   #666
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call me a pessimist but Mercer really took a dive this season. How is he an untradeable asset? Surely highly valued but if you’re getting a potential game changer and you already have a glut of young guys, how you can’t trade this one, is beyond me.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:25 PM   #667
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
His comments seem to indicate it will not be Mercer moved.

I would be shocked if a deal with Jersey gets done if we don't come off Mercer. Fitzgerald sounds like a baby, and made dumb moves to get 2 backups.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:26 PM   #668
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The New Jersey GM is whining but I wish we just took whatever was on the table. Ugh.

At least the Flames have 4 picks in the top 2 rounds. Should get some good prospects.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:26 PM   #669
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

accusing other GMs of extortion is a pretty bold strategy when you know there's a good chance you're going to revisit these deals in the summer ... then again, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new Devils GM at that point.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:29 PM   #670
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man what a terrible read in this situation by Fitz, embarrassing.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:30 PM   #671
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Extortion, Fitz? Come summer, Conny the meanie gonna ask for 1st + Mercer + Casey + Holtz.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:35 PM   #672
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Fitz just parading to try to make the fan base and ownership give him a pass.

Calgary and Nashville are both ahead of the Devils in the standings right now...with goalies in Markstrom and Saros that have strong histories as starting goaltenders.

This isn't the rental UFA market and neither team is desperate to make a move. You have to overpay to some extent to get the player.

It's a bit more complex with some of the extra picks thrown in but I would have argued San Jose was more desperate to move Hertl than the Flames or Predators were to move Markstrom or Saros, and they got a 1st and the Knights top propsect.

I'd also probably argue Markstrom or Saros would be more valuable and would provide more impact than Hertl will for Vegas.

If both teams with goalies are asking for Mercer + 1st...and you're the one saying "No you're trying to extort me" then I think it comes down to you not understanding the market and that you're trying to convince a team to trade you an asset they have no need to move.

Mercer + 1st for Markstrom with 25-50% is fair when you consider the ask to make the trade has to be "overpayment" to get a team to move their starting goalie, that's potentially a Vezina candinate for the 2nd time in 3 seasons.

I wanted the Flames to move Markstrom personally because I think it's the best move longer term to maximize our draft pick both this year and next year...but I also think that Fitz should have realized he would have to overpay if he wanted the goalie his assistant GM said was a top 5 goalie in the NHL.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-08-2024 at 04:40 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 04:38 PM   #673
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fitzgerald may not have agreed on the price, but that doesn't mean that Conroy was trying to extort him.

If I get a few calls on my 1955 Mercedes 300 SLR Uhlenhaut, even though I am not really needing to sell it, and some bozo offers me a million bucks, and nobody else offers me anything else, it doesn't mean that it is only worth a million bucks. I don't sell.

If anything, you could argue that Fitzgerald was trying to extort Conroy. Saros was 'sort of' on the market as much as Markstrom was at one point, and the a (rumoured) similar price was given out and was rejected by Fitzgerald. We don't know what Ullmark was about to move for (yet - and maybe we won't ever know the details).

Sounds like to me that Fitzgerald went 'Big Game Hunting', but mistakenly brought his BB gun instead.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:39 PM   #674
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fitz can’t afford another wasted season with the Devils roster being right in their window so I’m positive he’ll be making a trade in the offseason. He actually weakened his position and has completely tipped his hand between his carousel of terrible goalies and then the butthurt quote.

Go on Conroy, increase the price significantly for the Devils and make him sweat, Conroy has almost all the leverage here. We don’t need to get rid of Marky, but they can’t afford another crappy year of goaltending
https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/M40PBhc-NcXRZ
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:41 PM   #675
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sheesh. Fitzy seems to be taking the negotiations personally. Not a great sign for his longevity as a GM.

The other GM's owe him nothing.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:42 PM   #676
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames could still retain on Markstrom prior to July 1 right? Maybe that’s why Connie didn’t use the third retention slot. If there’s a deal on the draft floor, he has flexibility still
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:43 PM   #677
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It's Fitz just parading to try to make the fan base and ownership give him a pass.

Calgary and Nashville are both ahead of the Devils in the standings right now...with goalies in Markstrom and Saros that have strong histories as starting goaltenders.

This isn't the rental UFA market and neither team is desperate to make a move. You have to overpay to some extent to get the player.

It's a bit more complex with some of the extra picks thrown in but I would have argued San Jose was more desperate to move Hertl than the Flames or Predators were to move Markstrom or Saros, and they got a 1st and the Knights top propsect.

I'd also probably argue Markstrom or Saros would be more valuable and would provide more impact than Hertl will for Vegas.

If both teams with goalies are asking for Mercer + 1st...and you're the one saying "No you're trying to extort me" then I think it comes down to you not understanding the market and that you're trying to convince a team to trade you an asset they have no need to move.

Mercer + 1st for Markstrom with 25-50% is fair when you consider the ask to make the trade has to be "overpayment" to get a team to move their starting goalie, that's potentially a Vezina candinate for the 2nd time in 3 seasons.

I wanted the Flames to move Markstrom personally because I think it's the best move longer term to maximize our draft pick both this year and next year...but I also think that Fitz should have realized he would have to overpay if he wanted the goalie his assistant GM said was a top 5 goalie in the NHL.
Or he is a idiotic moron.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:45 PM   #678
kobasew19
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really cheering against the Devils to make the playoffs. Suck it Fitz.
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:45 PM   #679
Flamesfan05
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a market when both sides want to make a deal

There are not too many really good goalies

On the other hand, there are not too many team willing to pay for a top goalie
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:46 PM   #680
dgibb10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Tom Fitzgerald should be fired if he trades Mercer+1st for Markstrom.
dgibb10 is offline   Reply With Quote