Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #661
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post
Ran the Nokian WRs and WR2 for years. Great snow tire. Loved them.

Made a call a few years back to try the Michelin X-Ice2 and am quite happy. Most times the roads are icy, not snow bound, so the X-Ice2s are better. Also noticed they wear much better.

Snowy roads, Nokians WR2s. Cold/icey roads, Michelin X-Ice2s.
I just bought a set of Michelin X-Ice3. Just wanted to know how good they are on very icey conditions. The area I live in has a lot of hills and often gets iced over. I want something that will help me with the inclines. What's your opinion on them?

Last edited by TheyCallMeBruce; 10-28-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: should read x-ice3, oops.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #662
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
I just bought a set of Michelin X-Ice2. Just wanted to know how good they are on very icey conditions. The area I live in has a lot of hills and often gets iced over. I want something that will help me with the inclines. What's your opinion on them?
Wait aren't you doing this backawards?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #663
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Wait aren't you doing this backawards?
What do you mean?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #664
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thinking of buying a set of Michelin X-Ice3. Just wanted to know how good they are on very icey conditions. The area I live in has a lot of hills and often gets iced over. I want something that will help me with the inclines. What's your opinion on them?
Just think it might have been better this way, get reviews/opinions and then make purchase.

Quote:
What do you mean?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #665
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Just think it might have been better this way, get reviews/opinions and then make purchase.
I already did. All the reviews talked about the stopping power and great traction. I am happy with that. I'm asking if it's good on the inclines. None of the reviews talk about the tires performance on hilly roads.

So it's ok, I know what I'm asking
Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #666
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I already did. All the reviews talked about the stopping power and great traction. I am happy with that. I'm asking if it's good on the inclines. None of the reviews talk about the tires performance on hilly roads.

So it's ok, I know what I'm asking
cool, cuz clearly i didn't.............
Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #667
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
cool, cuz clearly i didn't.............
I didn't make it very clear, so it's my fault. All good.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #668
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I just bought a set of Michelin X-Ice3. Just wanted to know how good they are on very icey conditions. The area I live in has a lot of hills and often gets iced over. I want something that will help me with the inclines. What's your opinion on them?
Winter tires don't make too much difference on ice. Of course, winters will still be better than all season on ice but pretty much nothing on ice will give you too much traction unless you stud the winters. Snow, deep snow or mud and snow mix is where winter tires deliver their greatest benefit.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #669
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone cares to comment about the differences between X ice 2 vs 3? The X Ice 3 for my car will be -2.3% smaller in diameter than stock but Michelin doesn't make stock X ice 3 for my car. If I wanted stock, I would have to buy the older X Ice 2. I guess -2.3% isn't that big a deal so I'm inclined to get the X Ice 3.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #670
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Winter tires don't make too much difference on ice. Of course, winters will still be better than all season on ice but pretty much nothing on ice will give you too much traction unless you stud the winters. Snow, deep snow or mud and snow mix is where winter tires deliver their greatest benefit.

That's BS. Look up any winter tire test done on an ice rink. Tirerack has a few. They outperform all seasons by a significant amount on ice.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #671
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post

I'm gonna have to disagree. Winters make a big difference, even on ice. I see it everyday. Heck, I was leaving a parking lot last year, and 2 SUVs in front of me had to back up and go around from an exit because they couldn't make it up. My winters had no problems going up the exit.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #672
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is there a consensus on when to put winter tires on? I have an opportunity to get them put on tomorrow or I could wait and put them on later myself (which I don't mind doing).
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #673
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the average temperature hits 7C is the rule I go by. There have been a few articles on this.

Quote:
You may be wondering what is the best time to install your winter tires, and for what duration should you have them installed. This primarily depends and your local weather. One thing is for sure, don't wait for the very last minute and have them installed beforehand. A good guideline for installing your winter tires is once the temperature is regularly 7 degrees Celsius or less, and they should be removed once the temperatures are consistently higher than 7 degrees Celsius. This will ensure that they do not wear prematurely in warmer weather, but you shouldn't get caught by surprise.

http://www.1010tires.com/store/t-Winter-Tires-CAD.aspx
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #674
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
When the average temperature hits 7C is the rule I go by. There have been a few articles on this.

http://www.1010tires.com/store/t-Winter-Tires-CAD.aspx
The problem is we get maybe 2 days "notice" to do this.......
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #675
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
So is there a consensus on when to put winter tires on? I have an opportunity to get them put on tomorrow or I could wait and put them on later myself (which I don't mind doing).
Don't bother trying to "time" the exact optimum date to put on tires. It's not worth the risk. A few years back I used to do this and got caught driving back in sheer ice. Long story short, got in an accident that probably doesn't happen if I had my winter tires on. The pennies you save in tire wear is a lot less than the cost of body work....

I change my own tires now and it's a rule for me - change em on Thanksgiving weekend for two reasons: 1) I'll actually have time and 2) It usually snows before Halloween.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #676
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Don't bother trying to "time" the exact optimum date to put on tires. It's not worth the risk. A few years back I used to do this and got caught driving back in sheer ice. Long story short, got in an accident that probably doesn't happen if I had my winter tires on. The pennies you save in tire wear is a lot less than the cost of body work....

I change my own tires now and it's a rule for me - change em on Thanksgiving weekend for two reasons: 1) I'll actually have time and 2) It usually snows before Halloween.
Yup, that's my general rule as well. Either Thanksgiving weekend or the weekend before it. Yes, you save a couple weeks of wear and tear, but it's not worth the stress of not having it should a freak winterstorm hit. With Calgary weather, it's pretty unpredictable.

Plus, I like changing it when it's still warm enough outside that I can go out in a t-shirt or hoodie. I've made the mistake of changing too late one year when it dropped down to minus 10, and it kind of sucks.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #677
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with both of you. Even when you're changing your own, it is difficult to time things perfectly. I managed to get both of my cars changed over this weekend, but only after using both Friday and Saturday nights after getting home from social things with friends. It only takes about an hour per car, but of course this past weekend was the busiest I've had in ages.

It was just soooo warm last week. Couldn't bring myself to think about snow and ice.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #678
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I changed one set Saturday, gorgeous weather. And one set last night. Brrrrrrr. One more to go, but I barely drive, so I'll do it if it warms up a bit or if I need the car.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #679
KidCanada
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Little late to the party here, but does anyone have recommendations for tire changeover and potentially storage? What should i be expecting for price?
I see Harpers Tire recommended a few pages back, any others?
KidCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #680
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanada View Post
Little late to the party here, but does anyone have recommendations for tire changeover and potentially storage? What should i be expecting for price?
I see Harpers Tire recommended a few pages back, any others?
Urban X tires to change your tires over. I started a thread a little while ago about this and these guys were recommended . Now that I've been there I will go no where else. Cost me $80 to take off my summer tires and instal the new tires I bought onto my winter rims. This was $20 cheaper then anyone else I could find and they actually let you make appointments, I had one for 11am and I got there a couple minutes early and left at 11:30.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post: