Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #661
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bus driver hit the brakes and skidded 24 meters into the semi, and at the point of impact was going 96 to 107km/h? Does that mean the bus was going that speed when he hit the brakes or when he hit the semi?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #662
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to diminish the tragedy and I feel horrible for the victims and their families but I also hurt for the semi driver.

There but for the grace of God....
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #663
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course the Crown is going to ask for the maximum but I am struggling as to what the appropriate sentence is for this man, who plead guilty on all counts of dangerous driving causing death.

How is justice served in this case?
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #664
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The bus driver hit the brakes and skidded 24 meters into the semi, and at the point of impact was going 96 to 107km/h? Does that mean the bus was going that speed when he hit the brakes or when he hit the semi?
Assuming they used point of impact - it's when it hit.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #665
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Assuming at the time of impact. Which also (likely) means the bus was travelling faster than that prior to braking. That may or may not be relevant.

Also:
The car behind the bus is fortunate not to have suffered the same fate. 5 car lengths seems very close, at highway speed that would mean the car was following less than one second behind.

The other car that was stopped would have had a horrific view of the entire event. It's also fortunate this vehicle was not struck by anything.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #666
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ive been casually following along today.

Reporters Chris Vandenbreekel (@vandecision) and Ryan Kessler (@ryankglobal) are the best follows for this on Twitter.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #667
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read the court information online and it said the bus driver did nothing to contribute to the crash. That makes me think he was not speeding (or at least not significantly) or that would have been considered a contributing factor.

Speaking of contributing factors, I heard that since the driver has expressed remorse and pled guilty, thus sparing everyone a trial, that those would be considered in sentencing. I'm not sure what I would consider "right" but I don't think it would serve any good for him to spend the rest of his life in jail.

I feel for the drivers (of the stopped car and those following) who saw the crash. I've witnessed a few relatively minor collisions and those shake me up enough.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #668
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Assuming at the time of impact. Which also (likely) means the bus was travelling faster than that prior to braking. That may or may not be relevant.

Also:
The car behind the bus is fortunate not to have suffered the same fate. 5 car lengths seems very close, at highway speed that would mean the car was following less than one second behind.

The other car that was stopped would have had a horrific view of the entire event. It's also fortunate this vehicle was not struck by anything.
You travel around 27 meters in one second when going 100 km/h, which means the bus skidded for only about 1 second prior to impact. Doubtful it slowed down much prior to impact.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #669
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Maybe I read wrong but what's confusing me is the impact statements. I heard they weren't going to be read aloud because the driver owned up now it says they're going to read 65 aloud?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #670
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Maybe I read wrong but what's confusing me is the impact statements. I heard they weren't going to be read aloud because the driver owned up now it says they're going to read 65 aloud?
There was no trial because he pled guilty, but I never heard anything about not reading the statements.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #671
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Impact statements are for sentencing so I would have thought they'd still be read. Unless maybe there's a recommended sentences that victims families agree with and they forgo them. But that's a lot of waivers to get.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #672
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so a friend of mine was questioning why the bus was doing almost 100 as it approached a blind corner.

so my question is how many out here would slow down as they approached that intersection. I don't believe that I would, although if i had the cruise on i may hover my foot over the brake just in case.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #673
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so a friend of mine was questioning why the bus was doing almost 100 as it approached a blind corner.

so my question is how many out here would slow down as they approached that intersection. I don't believe that I would, although if i had the cruise on i may hover my foot over the brake just in case.
It’s not a blind corner. It’s straight through on a highway.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #674
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Reading through the statement of facts and the injuries to the survivors is gut wrenching. It's amazing that some of them may play competitive hockey again.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #675
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
It’s not a blind corner. It’s straight through on a highway.
depending on your direction of travel, the trees that are around the intersection would limit your field of vision from a distance. As you get closer, you will be able to see more, but your reaction time would be limited.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #676
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

I doubt I would slow down either. If I did that every time I approached an intersection that had trees that is all I would be doing - slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up. I think we (Calgary / urban dwellers and southern Alberta residents) tend to forget pretty much every intersection is like this in central and northern areas, especially once you get out of farmland areas.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #677
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody slows down on a straight section of flat highway just because there is an intersection with a tree line blocking the approaching traffic. You expect that oncoming traffic to come to a complete stop because there is a stop sign with a flashing red light on it, or I dunno, just because they are approaching a goddamn highway and can't see.

You certainly don't expect a loaded semi to blow through that stop sign at 86-96 km per hour.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #678
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought this was a pretty good article highlighting some compassion shown by the families toward the driver.

https://www.ckom.com/2019/01/28/grie...sh-sentencing/

Quote:
Jaskirat Singh Sidhu locked eyes with Marilyn Cross when she addressed the man responsible for her son’s death.

“Mr. Sidhu, I grieve for you,” she said. “I am not sure I am yet ready to forgive the choice you made that fateful night … but I don’t hate you.”

All sound ceased in the makeshift courtroom in a large community gym.
Sidhu focused on everything the mother of Mark Cross, an assistant coach with the Humboldt Broncos at the time of his death, was saying.

“When I look at you I see a young man not much older than our son,” she told the 29-year-old semi driver. “I grieve for the guilt you must carry for the rest of your days.”

Sidhu broke into sobs, reached for tissues and was consoled by his defence counsel with an arm around his shoulder.
Quote:
For her, and many others, forgiveness and grief was a theme.

Before the hearing at Melfort’s Kerry Vickar Centre even began, Tricia Wack – whose son Stephen died in the April 6 crash – knelt beside Sidhu and placed a hand on his shoulder. She had a quiet conversation with him, then smiled slightly before returning to her seat. Wack wouldn’t disclose what was said, but an op-ed she penned in September stated she forgave the semi driver.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #679
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I cried for these boys when this happened back in April. Having two cousins out playing in junior professional hockey this hit home hard for us. Yet I couldn't say I fully know what it feels like for these families who lost bright lights in their lives.

And it hurts my heart to hear about this young man, who made a mistake and he likely will never be the same again. Prison time would not do this man any good, as he is not a criminal, he is just a citizen who made a terrible mistake. I can't even imagine the thoughts this man has on a daily basis, that alone is a life sentence of its own. Even though we had 16 people pass away on April 6th, I fully believe we lost 17 lives that day.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #680
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sometimes there are just terrible accidents or tragedies.

There are people out there on the highways just going where they're going everyday, making split second decisions on the road, and over their several hour trip have the odd human lapse in awareness or judgment but fortunately it doesn't cost them anything.

I don't think there's a "criminal" to be found here. I think the only crime is the incident itself the unfortunate timing of how it came to unfold.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: