Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #6761
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yes, his family just built a home here in Calgary.
In the latest interview I saw with him talking about his increased role here with Frolik out he didn't seem too happy being on the 4th line.

I feel like if a team wanted him and he thought he would have a chance to be a bigger contributor he would wave.

I just don't think there is a team out there that would do that.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #6762
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
In the latest interview I saw with him talking about his increased role here with Frolik out he didn't seem too happy being on the 4th line.

I feel like if a team wanted him and he thought he would have a chance to be a bigger contributor he would wave.

If he was in a contract year maybe. But he already signed his big career pay day and picked Calgary for a reason. I think the only way he moves is with a buyout or taking money back
Old 01-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #6763
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If you're Brouwer, do you refuse any trade other than Edmonton?
Considering he moved here to be close to his Dad, absolutely he likely does.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #6764
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Considering he moved here to be close to his Dad, absolutely he likely does.
If his choice is the minors or here, he waives.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #6765
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

I think the easiest thing to do is this...

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Brouwer
Lomberg/Mangiapane-Stajan-Hathaway

It's time for Tkachuk to drive his own line, and Bennett needs help to get going at this point.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #6766
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the off-chance that a GM would like to deal for Brouwer, wouldn't it be easy to get him to waive his NTC?

Either he waves his NTC, or he loses $3 million dollars over the next two seasons when the Flames buy him out in the off-season of what is looking to be his last NHL contract.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #6767
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
In the off-chance that a GM would like to deal for Brouwer, wouldn't it be easy to get him to waive his NTC?

Either he waves his NTC, or he loses $3 million dollars over the next two seasons when the Flames buy him out in the off-season of what is looking to be his last NHL contract.
Yeah, accepting a trade effectively gives him hope of continuing his career. If he gets bought out this summer...he's likely in a Glencross situation where he's a PTO, or possibly a Chicago reclamation project (which will fail) on a sub-$1M contract.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #6768
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:

Depends on what he thinks he is still worth in the league. Could he get $3 million or more from another GM. Probably if he spreads it to two or more years. $1.5 mil / year on Brouwer is something I can see a GM taking a chance on. Also on a cheaper contract he would likely find more suitors than someone who comes with a $4.5 mil cap hit.

The NHL buyout structure sometimes works out that way. See Lance Bouma who actually will end up making more money with the Flames buyout combined with his Chicago salary than if he was not bought out.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-29-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #6769
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:

Unless he's so delusional that he doesn't think he's under-performed (Which he has said in the past) since coming here and just tuned out criticism... that kind of guy might think that even if he get's bought out some "smarter" GM will sign him to a contract where he'll be able to make more money.

But in all likelihood he'd probably waive.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #6770
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

and quite frankly Lance Bouma at $1,000,000, playing 10 minutes a game, and 46 games so far this season on the 4th line would look good on our roster right now.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #6771
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Depends on what he thinks he is still worth in the league. Could he get $3 million or more from another GM. Probably if he spreads it to two or more years. $1.5 mil / year on Brouwer is something I can see a GM taking a chance on. Also on a cheaper contract he would likely find more suitors than someone who comes with a $4.5 mil cap hit.

The NHL buyout structure sometimes works out that way. See Lance Bouma who actually will end up making more money with the Flames buyout combined with his Chicago salary than if he was not bought out.
As CZ pointed out, I think he's more at the stage where he'll get a tryout from a team in training camp and signs for less than $1 million on a single year deal. Unless he can prove he still belongs in this league for 3 more season, he'd probably lose money.

With that said, it's pretty clear that our coaching staff thinks he's a regular just fine hockey player with how many minutes he gets, so I don't know.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #6772
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As CZ pointed out, I think he's more at the stage where he'll get a tryout from a team in training camp and signs for less than $1 million on a single year deal. Unless he can prove he still belongs in this league for 3 more season, he'd probably lose money.

With that said, it's pretty clear that our coaching staff thinks he's a regular just fine hockey player with how many minutes he gets, so I don't know.
He's 10th among forwards with regards to even strength minutes, and that is really just due to the Frolik injury.
They aren't playing him a ton. I think some specific usage can be criticized for sure but I don't think overall ice time is an issue, as I don't know who they should be playing instead of him. That right side is just a real weak spot, and even Hathaway has taken a step back in my view.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #6773
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could they at least take his letter away and give it to chuckie? Maybe that would be the kick in the pants he needs to actually get playing better
Old 01-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #6774
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was at the game in Edmonton on Friday. I was amazed at how much Brouwer played in key situations. He takes a ton of d zone face offs... he (and Stajan) were horrible. When it was tied towards the end of 3rd I was on the edge of my seat as it seemed like Brouwer took and lost most of the face-offs in the defensive zone.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #6775
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not a big fan of the Flames giving up futures at this point. That said what is the opinion on a guy like Shaw? MTL is rumoured to be a seller and Shaw is 26. has 10 goals 19 points. The kicker is 4 more years at 3.9 million, still palatable for a guy at 26.

he checks a lot of boxes for the Flames. He cans score, is gritty playoff expereince and is a Right Winger.

If there is a deal to be had I would like to see BT take the shot.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #6776
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am not a big fan of the Flames giving up futures at this point. That said what is the opinion on a guy like Shaw? MTL is rumoured to be a seller and Shaw is 26. has 10 goals 19 points. The kicker is 4 more years at 3.9 million, still palatable for a guy at 26.

he checks a lot of boxes for the Flames. He cans score, is gritty playoff expereince and is a Right Winger.

If there is a deal to be had I would like to see BT take the shot.
You're right about one thing, Montreal should definitely be looking to sell Shaw.

At best he's worse than what we thought we were getting in Brouwer. So basically we could have a better than current Troy Brouwer that is worse than St. Louis Troy Brower AND current Troy Brouwer for a combined cap hit of 8.4m/yr!!!!

Last edited by jayswin; 01-29-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #6777
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Why does every other fan base try to fleece other teams in trades and acquire unattainable solutions while we seem to want to make our team worse at every turn? It's bizarre.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #6778
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
I was at the game in Edmonton on Friday. I was amazed at how much Brouwer played in key situations. He takes a ton of d zone face offs... he (and Stajan) were horrible. When it was tied towards the end of 3rd I was on the edge of my seat as it seemed like Brouwer took and lost most of the face-offs in the defensive zone.
IIRC, he only took non-PK draws because Backlund got bounced (which admittedly happens a lot). If Frolik plays he takes those. But with the new faceoff rule, the replacement guy is in a big disadvantage because he doesn't want to get a penalty.

Brouwer actually has a fairly good percentage for a non centre. He's 51% in his career. He has a high fluctuation rate because of the infrequent draws he taked. In Edmonton he was 50%. 40% versus LA (on only 5 draws), crappy against Buffalo, but good (75%) against Winnipeg.

BTW, Stajan was 60% against Edmonton.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #6779
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nobody is trading for Brouwer, please disabuse yourself of that fantasy.

Brouwer will be bought out at the next buyout window and will not play another NHL game.

That's the fate that awaits Brouwer. There are no other options.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #6780
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

My suspicion is that Brouwer wont get bought out until the end of next season (2018-19) when he has one year left on his contract. Next year he will have to role of veteran fourth liner, replacing Stajan. Only he will watch half the season from the press box.
Closed Thread