Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #6741
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Step one. Put some cardboard down.
could the cardboard come from a box? if so, would you have to cut a hole in the box?

you might also want a box to put your junk parts in
Old 04-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #6742
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Take the old seatpost and insert it in the frame and clamp it on the seatpost. would hate for the bike stand to do any damage to the frame.
I'm not even sure that seat post is long enough to clamp too...it's so teeny!
Old 04-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #6743
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Step one. Put some cardboard down. You wouldn't find my body if my wife caught me wrenching in my living room...
It's in a spare room in the basement, so I'm safe
Old 04-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #6744
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not even sure that seat post is long enough to clamp too...it's so teeny!
So.....seatpost and idler pulley first on the shopping list
Old 04-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #6745
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you planning on rebuilding with all the vintage components, or upgrade a bunch of stuff?
Old 04-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #6746
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Are you planning on rebuilding with all the vintage components, or upgrade a bunch of stuff?
I'm not really sure to be honest.

I think I'd like to keep most of it original, but upgrade parts where it makes sense (if that makes sense?). It's a fairly heavy steel frame and was bought mostly to learn about wrenching on bikes and as a project, so I don't want to spend a fortume on upgrades.....that said, if there is a component that makes sense to upgrade while it's apart for reliability or compatibility or other reason, I'm totally open to doing that.

The wheels and bottom bracket might be examples of that. The rims look cool (this dimpled textured surface) but the might be a bit warped or dented...we shall see I guess!
Old 04-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #6747
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check out https://velo-orange.com/, lots of cool vintage stuff. Get all that chrome and aluminum shined up good!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #6748
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know if the local family making mtb carrier racks for your 2" receiver is still around? Northshore racks prongs don't work well with the session or thunderbolt. And between shipping/exchange, recon racks are hella pricey. For that kind of money, I would prefer to go local/custom fab.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #6749
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have seen some racks from boutique places (I think one is called rat rack or something), but they seem similar to NSR.

Over at MTBR.com the posters there seem to favour 1up, but I am guessing you would have to bring that in from the US of A. Personally I have a swagman from MEC that has worked well for me. I use a pool noodle or pipe insulation to keep the arms from scratching the frame of my ‘bolt
Old 04-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #6750
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rat Racks went out of business. Rumor is a couple of racks broke and he was difficult to deal with. Wouldn't warranty his work.

I have a 1upusa rack. Awesome rack. My only complaint is that I haul so many different bikes around, I'm always having to adjust the arms, which requires tools. It's an awesome rack if you haul the same bikes consistently. I am ordering a Thule T2 Pro. When that comes in, I will be selling my 1up. I have a double with one add on. I have the fatbike adapters, road bike adapters and the license plate holder.

The only concern with the racks like the swagman, is that a few bike manufacturers won't warranty the frame if it's being clamped by the frame on a bike rack or workstand. BMC being one of them. They have a whole page dedicated to care of your carbon frame. Only fork or wheel mount. Felt, Look and Canyon are a few others I have read about that don't want the frames being clamped by a rack or work stand. It mainly applies to carbon road bikes. They claim it's neglect. So, check your warranty before buying.

The reason I went with the 1up was because at the time, they were the only tray mount hitch rack that would warranty the rack on an RV. I spoke with the Thule rep and the new T2 Pro is also warrantied. Just in case you have an RV.

Last edited by bossy22; 04-14-2018 at 08:51 AM. Reason: RV info
Old 04-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #6751
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Rat Racks went out of business. Rumor is a couple of racks broke and he was difficult to deal with. Wouldn't warranty his work.

I have a 1upusa rack. Awesome rack. My only complaint is that I haul so many different bikes around, I'm always having to adjust the arms, which requires tools. It's an awesome rack if you haul the same bikes consistently. I am ordering a Thule T2 Pro. When that comes in, I will be selling my 1up. I have a double with one add on. I have the fatbike adapters, road bike adapters and the license plate holder.

Thanks for the heads up on rat racks. I can't think of anything more potentially catastrophic than rack failure while on the transcanada.

I ran the 1up roof trays for a couple seasons and love that mechanism. I have a lot of confidence in their product. When are you selling yours? You likely have a guy here waving cash at you if the timing is right.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:38 PM   #6752
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my normal cycle commute takes me from my house in new Brighton, over to lake Mackenzie and then along the river pathway to Deerfoot and south land and then thru Acadia to the office which is across from chinook. I typically leave my house by 5.45 am as I like to be home early.

Decided to bust out the commuter today and take it for a shakedown ride and see if I could start riding to work next week, and to be honest I am not sure what to think.

The river pathway is not passable just a little past the baseball diamonds - right by that uphill section. Looks like it has not been plowed for a while. I can side step that section by riding thru douglasdale, but that gravel road connector by the power station is pretty soft. In addition, there are a few spots where there is 10 foot stretch of rim deep water. There are also lots of places where water is draining across the path. I am worried that I could easily hit ice in the morning and bite it.

Still lost a of spots on the paths where the snow on the side is 18inces deep. Feels like cycle commuting is still a few weeks away.

Can’t ever recall not being able to commute in April before.....frowny face/head bang against wall.....
Old 04-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #6753
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Thanks for the update. That was my route to work as well. While I work from home these days, I was planning to ditch the trainer completely and ride a hour ride each morning. I usually do a 30km route through Fish Creek to get my kms in and that stretch is along the route.

I'll have to figure something else out because I'm tired of the trainer.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #6754
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last week I picked up a set of those tubeless tire insets (buck Norris) for my thunderbolt and installed them today. As I traditionally have run my mtb tires at around 40 to 45 psi as I hate feeling the rim hit rocks and roots.

Will be interesting to see how they feel out on the trail - likely sometime around June 25 or so when WBC dries out......
Old 04-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #6755
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Anyone know how that canal path out to Chestermere is yet? That's my go-to "Get in an easy 50km ride with no hills."
Old 04-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #6756
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Last week I picked up a set of those tubeless tire insets (buck Norris) for my thunderbolt and installed them today. As I traditionally have run my mtb tires at around 40 to 45 psi as I hate feeling the rim hit rocks and roots.

Will be interesting to see how they feel out on the trail - likely sometime around June 25 or so when WBC dries out......
Read about those huck norris foams. Is the 240grams per wheel noticable? Also, are they 1 use? I would image they are sticky gooey gross when you have to change your tire.

In general, I run 25psi rear and 22psi front and can mostly avoid rim hits (25mm inner width rims and 2.4" tires). I'd like to go a bit lower if it poses no risk to my rims.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #6757
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

K-train, I too was thinking about that ride yesterday as I like that ride as well for the exact same reason.

Cracher- no ride data yet as it feels like the thunderbolt will not see any dirt until june, but given my weight, I don’t expect a pound to make a lot of difference, although this is rotational weight. Based on what I have read the inserts should last a year, at the price ($100), i’d hope for more life. I also read you can make your own with concrete backer rod which is far cheaper.

I’d also expect the to be a real mess in a flat situation as well and not fun to carry out.

Given my weight, I have typically run 40 to 45 psi, so I am hoping I can get into the 30’s with this setup

Last edited by Northendzone; 04-15-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #6758
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

you guys who are riding in today - once again you are beasts
Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #6759
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the nice part is that there is no ice. The bad part is, well, everything else...tough to see through fogged snow covered glasses! My brakes seem to need an overhaul as well, as they are not stopping very well. So I guess I know what I'm doing tonight...
Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #6760
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fully expect my bike to be encased in ice within minutes of the ride home starting this afternoon, I'll hedge my bets and keep it in a gear I can do the whole ride home in.
Closed Thread