Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2024, 10:54 AM   #6721
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Wow I never saw that before. That is some disgusting language and behavior.
It was, it was also during day of the terror attack. I’m not going to make an excuse for the language. I, like most people personally connected to this conflict, have some engrained prejudices that I was not honest with myself about. I get overly emotional and that is no conducive in creating a productive conversation. Like I said, I had family and friends not far from the attacks and was not posting rationally. I recognize it and I believe my views have changed over the last half of year. I think we all can be better, especially myself. I hope for a peaceful solution and for the war to end asap. I recognize i am not a geopolitical expert and do not know at all how to remedy this conflict. I feel terrible for all the people, Palestinian and Israeli, who are effected by this war. I want Palestinians to move back and rebuild their neighborhoods, I want the hostages to also be returned. I would like Netanyahu and the Israeli right to be kicked out of office. I have come to recognize that defeating hamas may not be viable and would prefer for this conflict to turn to building peace, understanding and no more death. I am frustrated and apologize again for the language i used on the day of the attack. With that, I will again attempt to stay out of this thread.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-08-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 11:00 AM   #6722
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't disagree with anything he has said. When he says "going into Rafah" I just hope that doesn't mean dropping bombs on a very densely populated area where they are have effectively corralled the population.

Quote:
“Going into Rafah is necessary and it’s the best option Israel has,” Yousef said, insisting that trying to eliminate Hamas leaders currently pinned down in Gaza’s southernmost city “from a distance” would only extend the war.

“We (must) go into Rafah and, first of all, rescue the hostages — they are in Rafah. Second, destroy the smuggling tunnels between Rafah and Egypt… then capture fleeing Hamas forces.”

Yousef believes that, once these three objectives are accomplished in Rafah, the people in Gaza will effectively be “free from Hamas.”

“Eradicating Hamas’s ideology is a different story; it will take lots of time,” he conceded but was nevertheless adamant that this shouldn’t preclude Israel from crushing what’s left of Hamas’s operational capabilities.
To the bolded, I just hope Israel has not, through their callousness, created a culture that will perpetuate an even worse evil than Hamas. Cut off the head of the snake type situation and see what grows back. If you are a younger person in Palestine, and Israel just ripped through Gaza killing loved ones, won't that hatred be ingrained with you for life? It would be fairly easy to manipulate that into something dangerous even without Hamas at the helm.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 11:01 AM   #6723
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
It was, it was also during day of the terror attack. I’m not going to make an excuse for the language. I, like most people personally connected to this conflict, have some engrained prejudices that I was not honest with myself about. I get overly emotional and that is no conducive in creating a productive conversation. Like I said, I had family and friends not far from the attacks and was not posting rationally. I recognize it and I believe my views have changed over the last half of year. I think we all can be better, especially myself. I hope for a peaceful solution and for the war to end asap. I recognize i am not a geopolitical expert and do not know at all how to remedy this conflict. I feel terrible for all the people, Palestinian and Israeli, who are effected by this war. I want Palestinians to move back and rebuild their neighborhoods, I want the hostages to also be returned. I would like Netanyahu and the Israeli right to be kicked out of office. I have come to recognize that defeating hamas may not be viable and would prefer for this conflict to turn to building peace, understanding and no more death. I am frustrated and apologize again for the language i used on the day of the attack. With that, I will again attempt to stay out of this thread.
You know what, I can respect this.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 11:02 AM   #6724
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I appreciate it. Hope for safety for your family.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 08:00 PM   #6725
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actions speak louder than words.

He continuously tried to deny what he said and is then only when it was shown did he backtrack.

Notable that he apologizes for his racist behaviour on one particular day but zero acknowledgement of his ongoing continuous behaviour over the last 7 months where he's been casually labelling multiple posters on multiple occasions as antisemitic, Hamas supporters and supporters of terrorism.

He says his views have changed over the last half of the year? Really? Because there's zero evidence of that here in this thread where he was making the same old disgusting baseless slurs as recent as a couple of days ago.

Let's see.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 08:19 PM   #6726
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Actions speak louder than words.

He continuously tried to deny what he said and is then only when it was shown did he backtrack.

Notable that he apologizes for his racist behaviour on one particular day but zero acknowledgement of his ongoing continuous behaviour over the last 7 months where he's been casually labelling multiple posters on multiple occasions as antisemitic, Hamas supporters and supporters of terrorism.

He says his views have changed over the last half of the year? Really? Because there's zero evidence of that here in this thread where he was making the same old disgusting baseless slurs as recent as a couple of days ago.

Let's see.
I mean you are entitled to feel anyway you want. But you are also not in my head. There is clear antisemitic currents within the pro-Palestinian movement. If you deny that I think you are lacking some introspection.I think i have grown to realize I will never be able to distinguish who actually cares about Palestinians and who just jumps on the cause to pile on the Jews. Many Jews are raised with the attitude that the world is out to get us and that the Palestinian cause is just another way for the world to gang up on the Jews. Unfortunately we have many examples to look back on in history., but I am trying to deprogram myself from this victim mentality. I understand I have thrown the word out in this thread and in hindsight it is not cool. It is not my job to be judge, jury and executioner on whether someone is an antisemite or just cares about the Palestinians. If you feel attacked I apologize and I am working on being better. I really have not much more to add but I think this thread needed someone to at least usher an olive branch in creating a mutal understanding.

Peace
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 08:48 PM   #6727
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice to see you being the “grown up” here Beninho.

Hopefully others follow suit.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:18 PM   #6728
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will never be able to distinguish who actually cares about Palestinians and who just jumps on the cause to pile on the Jews
But that didn't stop you slurring anyone that is repulsed by the sickening slaughter of innocents.

Quote:
If you feel attacked I apologize and I am working on being better. I really have not much more to add but I think this thread needed someone to at least usher an olive branch in creating a mutal understanding.
Peace
Thank you. I appreciate that. And I wish you all the best too.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:19 PM   #6729
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Nice to see you being the “grown up” here Beninho.

Hopefully others follow suit.
He says as he issues a childish drive by.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 09:30 PM   #6730
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
But that didn't stop you slurring anyone that is repulsed by the sickening slaughter of innocents.

Thank you. I appreciate that. And I wish you all the best too.
No, you are right. I do not blame anyone for being repulsed by the killing of civilians. Regardless of what you may think, I also hate seeing civilians being killed. We can disagree about aspects of the conflict but I do recognize that I have been overly emotional and immature in this thread.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:21 PM   #6731
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Canucks come back from 4-1 down.

Beninho singlehandedly puts this absolute train wreck of a thread back on the rails.

Big day for impressive comebacks!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 11:32 PM   #6732
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly I can't and that's ok. I have 0 respect for that poster. 1 nice post in his last 200 don't mean anything to me. He has made up a bunch of stuff and called me an antisemite and made up lies.

That is not ok and him being better is not some kind of hero thing, it should be expected. So yeah until he changes his attitude in the long run I do not accept his apologies or his words.

Actions do speak louder than words and his words have been disgusting the last month making up lie after lie.

I wish peace for the middle east and the entire world but my words have not been hateful against anyone or any race even through my anger at the thousands of Palestinians dead.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:49 AM   #6733
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly I can't and that's ok. I have 0 respect for that poster. 1 nice post in his last 200 don't mean anything to me. He has made up a bunch of stuff and called me an antisemite and made up lies.

That is not ok and him being better is not some kind of hero thing, it should be expected. So yeah until he changes his attitude in the long run I do not accept his apologies or his words.

Actions do speak louder than words and his words have been disgusting the last month making up lie after lie.

I wish peace for the middle east and the entire world but my words have not been hateful against anyone or any race even through my anger at the thousands of Palestinians dead.
This attitude only encourages people not to change. It encourages tribalism.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 07:09 AM   #6734
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This attitude only encourages people not to change. It encourages tribalism.
Not my job to change people. People should be normal human beings with humanity as a standard.

I like when people change but let's see it first because it has been months of hate filled posts and he has said some very nasty things not just to me but others as well and one post with humanity doesn't just erase the hundred before it but it's a start.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 07:56 AM   #6735
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

“Taking more than a few hours to accept an apology after being called an antisemite or worse for months on end encourages tribalism” is a new one.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:26 AM   #6736
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not my job to change people. People should be normal human beings with humanity as a standard.

I like when people change but let's see it first because it has been months of hate filled posts and he has said some very nasty things not just to me but others as well and one post with humanity doesn't just erase the hundred before it but it's a start.
No, but it certainly makes you come across as the ####### more so than him when he has made the effort to apologize which is the first step.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 10:06 AM   #6737
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Honestly, people are allowed to apologize and change. Good people are usually capable of looking at all the facts around them and adjust their world view.

Give peace and understanding a chance. This attitude of attempting to completely destroy the other side makes us no better than Netanyahu.

That's just my opinion, take it for what it is.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 10:10 AM   #6738
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, seemed sincere to me. Apologies can go a really long way. I don't see any reason not to accept it and move forward. But if you don't want to accept that's fine, but no point in listening to what he said and then bringing up all the old things he just finished acknowledging were not necessarily reflective of where his mind is today.

I'd be stoked if Beninho became our friend, hah. I like posters with some fire in their belly.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 10:43 AM   #6739
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:48 AM   #6740
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I dunno I find it refreshing that someone who was attacked to change their ways has come out and said “maybe you’re right I should change my ways” and the response was “no not like that I want to be mad still”. Really shows the honesty of your original argument and indicates you truly were interested in a genuine discussion. Definitely doesn’t show that you’re the other side of the same coin.

Don’t ask other people to be better then piss and moan when they are.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post: