Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2023, 06:45 AM   #6721
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh no lol.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2023, 07:03 AM   #6722
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kid and I are having a good time playing Diablo 4. At the end of the day it's still Diablo but the graphics and level of polish make this a big improvement over Diablo 3.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:45 AM   #6723
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Starfield looks insanely good.
I agree, but it's too bad it's only 30 frames/s on console. I suspect you would need a very high end PC to get 60 with max settings.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:53 AM   #6724
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
My kid and I are having a good time playing Diablo 4. At the end of the day it's still Diablo but the graphics and level of polish make this a big improvement over Diablo 3.
Local multiplayer on console? Or each of you have a PC?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:59 AM   #6725
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not as bullish on Starfield as some... as soon as you come out and say "1000 procedurally generated planets! Gather lots of resources!" -- I start getting those No Man's Sky vibes. Endless things to do with very little of it fun or engaging. Was also disappointed to see that you don't seem to actually fly your ship between worlds or land it yourself, just pick spots off a map and watch a cutscene. The gunplay looked surprisingly decent for a Bethesda game though.

Ultimately, the game will live or die off of it's story and quest design, which we've seen very little of at this point still.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:10 AM   #6726
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking the plunge into Citizen Sleeper as it's currently 40% off on Steam... although "a sci-fi version of disco elysium" is a lot of hype to live up to.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:44 AM   #6727
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Local multiplayer on console? Or each of you have a PC?
Multiplayer on console. We each have an Xbox.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:23 AM   #6728
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'm not as bullish on Starfield as some... as soon as you come out and say "1000 procedurally generated planets! Gather lots of resources!" -- I start getting those No Man's Sky vibes. Endless things to do with very little of it fun or engaging. Was also disappointed to see that you don't seem to actually fly your ship between worlds or land it yourself, just pick spots off a map and watch a cutscene. The gunplay looked surprisingly decent for a Bethesda game though.

Ultimately, the game will live or die off of it's story and quest design, which we've seen very little of at this point still.

I’m mostly with you on this. The main reason Bethesda games have never really done it for me is the jank and awkward combat. It’s just never felt fun or satisfying to me.

From what we’ve seen so far though Starfield looks like massive step in the right direction. I actually just sold my Series X a couple weeks ago since it’s been mostly collecting dust since launch, but if this reviews well I may be tempted to jump back in at some point.

Overall it was a pretty solid showing from Microsoft considering how bad the past few years have been. Here’s hoping they are finally turning a corner.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 11:31 AM   #6729
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I’m mostly with you on this. The main reason Bethesda games have never really done it for me is the jank and awkward combat. It’s just never felt fun or satisfying to me.

From what we’ve seen so far though Starfield looks like massive step in the right direction. I actually just sold my Series X a couple weeks ago since it’s been mostly collecting dust since launch, but if this reviews well I may be tempted to jump back in at some point.

Overall it was a pretty solid showing from Microsoft considering how bad the past few years have been. Here’s hoping they are finally turning a corner.
No doubt it was Microsoft's best presentation in a while and I thought a lot better than the Sony one from a couple weeks ago. Clockwork Revolution looks particularly cool to me, big Bioshock vibes.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:44 AM   #6730
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I agree, but it's too bad it's only 30 frames/s on console. I suspect you would need a very high end PC to get 60 with max settings.
Is that confirmed? PC all the way then.

Probably need to wait one or two years for things to get ironed out either way given their history.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:38 PM   #6731
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Is that confirmed? PC all the way then.

Probably need to wait one or two years for things to get ironed out either way given their history.
https://www.ign.com/articles/bethesd...series-x-and-s
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 09:19 AM   #6732
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This new Star Wars game coming in 2024 looks amazing

Old 06-13-2023, 06:16 PM   #6733
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Trying not to get too hyped up but everything coming out over the weekend seems incredibly positive. Frame rate notwithstanding the product seems so much more polished than previously released.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2023, 06:45 AM   #6734
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Trying not to get too hyped up but everything coming out over the weekend seems incredibly positive. Frame rate notwithstanding the product seems so much more polished than previously released.
Like everyone else I'm excited but I'm also a little worried that it's a little too large and ambitious with so much to do that some gamers just get lost which I found was something that dogged some of the Far Cry and AC games but this game looks to take things up a notch in comparison. When you compare it to say Mass Effect it's just got so much more going as instead of simple planet to planet travelling you can fly your ship ship, take it into combat and board any ship and take it over in battle seems like there's so much you can do that some may get burned out doing a lot of this and exploring and not complete the storyline.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:29 AM   #6735
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

All that + Bethesda jank = Wait until like, a month after release at minimum
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:43 AM   #6736
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Fallout 76 destroyed any goodwill I have toward Bethesda. Starfield is probably another game where it benefits waiting 3 years for all the modders to fix everything but we'll see!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 04:56 PM   #6737
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Like everyone else I'm excited but I'm also a little worried that it's a little too large and ambitious with so much to do that some gamers just get lost which I found was something that dogged some of the Far Cry and AC games but this game looks to take things up a notch in comparison. When you compare it to say Mass Effect it's just got so much more going as instead of simple planet to planet travelling you can fly your ship ship, take it into combat and board any ship and take it over in battle seems like there's so much you can do that some may get burned out doing a lot of this and exploring and not complete the storyline.
For everything wrong with Bethesda (recently) they haven't shown any passion for turning Skyrim and Fallout into the Far Cry and Assassin Creed games where they're small basically yearly updates.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:10 PM   #6738
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably way behind here but I got around to finishing the D4 campaign. Not like you're playing it for the story, it was okay I guess but man everything is so grim. Pretty much everybody gets ####ed, is a horrible person and the world is a ####hole.

Fits the universe I guess. Haven't figured out all the endgame stuff but the paragon system seems big and I tried the PVP stuff. Got some currency, cleansed or whatever and got the hell out of there lol.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:35 PM   #6739
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I'm enjoying CK3, but God damn does every Paradox game have to have super janky mechanics? Just lost a huge battle because for some reason my allies are just hanging out on one side of the map and not moving anywhere.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:05 PM   #6740
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Just lost a huge battle because for some reason my allies are just hanging out on one side of the map and not moving anywhere.
I dunno, sounds pretty realistic to me.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post: