Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2023, 07:22 AM   #6621
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ No pics of Clayton digging himself out of the trap?!

That looks like a fun event though, and seems like a great idea!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 12:12 PM   #6622
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
^ No pics of Clayton digging himself out of the trap?!
We were too busy laughing to take any pictures

Quote:
That looks like a fun event though, and seems like a great idea!
You get a night flyer golf ball where you shine your cellphone light on it and it lights up. You choose from 4 colors, white, green, blue and red. When you hit the ball all you see is this glowing orb flying soaring through the air and landing on the green or fairway. You place the light sticks at least every 50 to 100 yards on each side of the fairway and around the green. The flag stick has flashing lights at the top. The only problem is you have no depth perception.

Last edited by Dion; 09-09-2023 at 01:16 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 04:55 PM   #6623
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Has anyone played Bear Mountain in Victoria? I'd like to book a group to play and stay at the resort in October. I've never played it. Is October a stupid idea or is it still decent weather there?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:14 PM   #6624
Instron4204
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Has anyone played Bear Mountain in Victoria? I'd like to book a group to play and stay at the resort in October. I've never played it. Is October a stupid idea or is it still decent weather there?
I played the Valley course a couple of times. Well worth it to play once. October would be a great time to play. Really only suspect months would be January & February. Enjoy.
Instron4204 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Instron4204 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 06:45 PM   #6625
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never played it, but I remember Victoria having generally perfect golf weather in October.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:07 PM   #6626
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valley is better than mountain. October weather is hit or miss plan according.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:09 PM   #6627
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Played it multiple times. The mountain 18 is much more memorable and scenic IMO, but valley is more of a challenge. October should still be nice. Have fun! It is a special place IMO.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:13 PM   #6628
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good advice here already on BM.

Valley is the better course from a design perspective. Mountain has the more picturesque holes, including the par 3 that one sees in all of the promotional videos.

Taking an elevator down to the proshop is one of the cool things about staying on property. The restaurant was pretty good too. It's pretty far from downtown Victoria, so if your group is planning a night on the town, it's better not to stay up there.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:06 AM   #6629
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

BM is great, I have only played the Valley course however.

Staying on the resort is nice, but another option is getting an airbnb on Bear Mountain at a house. Just in case that's more appealing in any way.
There's also hotel options in the Millstream Village area just at the base of Bear Mountain; also a Golf Town there if you need any last minute gear.

I'm playing for the first time in London UK today. Just a local course close to my relatives, nothing special but still looking forward to it.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 11:48 PM   #6630
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

How do you determine what the is right size of golf grip?

I've been playing with a standard size grip with 3 wraps and recently put a mid size grip on a few of my irons to test it out. The reason being I was finding that I was gripping my clubs too tight. Now with the midsize I don't have to grip hard but the downside I found I was losing some wrist action.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-15-2023, 06:19 AM   #6631
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
How do you determine what the is right size of golf grip?
Many schools of thought here. The most popular are these two.

1 - Use your glove size to determine your grip size. Men's small = undersize. Men's medium = regular. Men's large & XL = midsize. Men's 2xl = jumbo.

2 - Measure the size of your hand, base of palm or crease of the wrist to the tip of the middle finger. Less than 5" = junior. Up to 6" = undersize. 6-7.5" = regular. 7.5-9" = midsize. Over 9" = jumbo.

Personally I don't like either as hands are unique to everyone so no hard fast rule applies. Some people have really long fingers or short little sausages for digits. That affects the grip you should be using. The grip (position of club in the hand) in use can impact the size of grip selected. Lastly, age and injury can change the size of grip we need. So there are lots of factors in selection.

The proper grip is having the club lie across the pads of your hand (the base of the fingers) rather than across the palm. To find the right grip use your low hand to grip the club where you normally do at address. Do not use any interlock at this point and you're just looking for connectivity to the club. Your ring finger is the measure of importance here. With a relaxed grip your ring finger should just about be touching the thenar eminence (the meat of the muscle of thumb). if there is a gap you may have too thick a grip. If there is more than just light contact you likely need thicker grips. The most important thing here is feel and comfort, which is why any sizing method is flawed.

All of this is out the window if you have arthritis or a hand injury that makes closing your hand or making a fist problematic. At that point you need grips that allow you to comfortably hold the club while making a swing and there is only trial and error involved here. I've built up custom grips for players with injuries to hands (damaged or missing digits) or arthritis that makes gripping the club difficult. Usually required custom wraps more so than rubber grips.

Quote:
I've been playing with a standard size grip with 3 wraps and recently put a mid size grip on a few of my irons to test it out. The reason being I was finding that I was gripping my clubs too tight. Now with the midsize I don't have to grip hard but the downside I found I was losing some wrist action.
Be careful how many wraps of tape you put on underneath the grip. Two should be the max for the health and longevity of the grip. Too much tape can impact the integrity of the grip and make it wear quicker or unevenly. Over time this can cause a rupture or splitting of the grip which you never want. Sounds to me like you may be a candidate for midsize because of age. Don't worry Dion, it happens to us all! Interestingly enough PXGs are shipping with grips they call standard but are actually midsize. They are thicker because research has shown hands are getting bigger as people become larger. Hope this was helpful.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2023, 01:17 PM   #6632
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

That does help Lanny. Thank you
Old 09-15-2023, 01:57 PM   #6633
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting to get pretty ####ing irritated at how hard it is to get a tee time in a slot where it's possible to actually finish 18 holes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2023, 02:25 PM   #6634
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Starting to get pretty ####ing irritated at how hard it is to get a tee time in a slot where it's possible to actually finish 18 holes.
At what course?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 06:50 AM   #6635
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I teed off at 4 yesterday and we could barely see on 9. You basically need to hope the groups ahead are at four hours and even then it's really tight. Despite the beautiful weather, the end is in sight.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 09:12 PM   #6636
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I teed off at 4 yesterday and we could barely see on 9. You basically need to hope the groups ahead are at four hours and even then it's really tight. Despite the beautiful weather, the end is in sight.
Yep, 330ish is the latest now, judging by my late rounds. And that's 100% because of pace of play. 4pm would be fine if everyone was moving along at a good pace. Twilight tends to bring out the "I don't know how to golf and wouldn't give a **** about the groups behind me even if I did" contingent of the city.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-16-2023 at 09:14 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2023, 10:03 AM   #6637
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Won a 2-person scramble tourney with my GF a few weekends ago. We weren't in the top flight or anything but pretty cool nonetheless!

We shot a 2 over 74, had to use at least 6 drives each and only won by 1 stroke. Essentially paid for our fee and then another $100 cash for each of us.

Pretty cool though, and can't wait to enter some more next season.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2023, 11:21 AM   #6638
nomad
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For Kananaskis, what would be the latest tee time to get in 18 these days? I assume it gets dark a bit earlier out there. How long do you think 18 would take? Thank you.
nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 01:22 PM   #6639
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
For Kananaskis, what would be the latest tee time to get in 18 these days? I assume it gets dark a bit earlier out there. How long do you think 18 would take? Thank you.
I was on at 3:45 last Wed. and barely made it. We were hld up just a little by the group in front.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2023, 01:48 PM   #6640
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am golfing Eagle Ranch this weekend for the first time. How is this course?
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow