Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #6601
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
To all GOP supporters and both sides many sides types

THIS is why we make fun of you
Yeah, this comment touches on the most baffling part of all of this to me; if you're still a supporter, how do you not feel massively ashamed of that just by virtue of standing next to people like this? It's totally inconcievable in my mind that I would be standing up supporting someone, have this prophet come up and agree with me saying what they're saying, and not have myself thinking #### I am SO wrong.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:43 PM   #6602
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Because tribalism. No matter how bad my tribe is, the other tribe is evil incarnate and want to destroy everything so can't vote for them no matter what.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #6603
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

DeSantis being sued by the people he used for his reprehensible human trafficking scheme. What a piece of trash

https://apnews.com/article/boston-la...3d94c6d74eb9c8

Quote:
Venezuelan migrants flown to the upscale Massachusetts island of Martha’s Vineyard sued Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and his transportation secretary Tuesday for engaging in a “fraudulent and discriminatory scheme” to relocate them.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Boston, alleges that the migrants were told they were going to Boston or Washington, “which was completely false,” and were induced with perks such as $10 McDonald’s gift certificates.

“No human being should be used as a political pawn,” said Ivan Espinoza-Madrigal, executive director of Lawyers for Civil Rights, which is seeking class-action status in the lawsuit filed on behalf of several migrants who were aboard last week’s flights and Alianza Americas, a network of advocacy groups.
And this is supposed to be the “good” Republican right? Yeah alright sure
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 05:43 PM   #6604
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man on a mission…

https://twitter.com/user/status/1572321149190606856
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 05:54 PM   #6605
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having to disclose contributions above $10K doesn't seem like it will solve the problem. How big of a difference will disclosures make? Hard limits on the contributions would be much, much more meaningful.

Also seems like it would be pretty easy to step around the restrictions on foreign entities for anyone who is very motivated.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 09:26 PM   #6606
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Having to disclose contributions above $10K doesn't seem like it will solve the problem. How big of a difference will disclosures make? Hard limits on the contributions would be much, much more meaningful.

Also seems like it would be pretty easy to step around the restrictions on foreign entities for anyone who is very motivated.
Are you letting perfect be the enemy of good?
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 09:44 PM   #6607
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
And this is supposed to be the “good” Republican right?
Wait, since when is DeSantis the "good" Republican right? I mean I guess he's preferably to more Trump but that's the most "damned by faint praise" thing you could say about anyone.

I'm having trouble figuring out who the "good" Republican right would be... Romney?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #6608
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Wait, since when is DeSantis the "good" Republican right? I mean I guess he's preferably to more Trump but that's the most "damned by faint praise" thing you could say about anyone.

I'm having trouble figuring out who the "good" Republican right would be... Romney?

Romney, Kinzinger, and Cheney would be the only sane, somewhat decent Republicans I can think of. The rest of them all have their heads up Trump's arse.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:56 PM   #6609
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Are you letting perfect be the enemy of good?
I guess it's better than nothing. That said, it seems like one of those things that makes a political statement without actually changing anything.

I mean, everyone knows that dude Barre Seid donated $1.6B recently. What difference does it make that people know that? Everyone already knows that money runs politics, and the money will still go to work.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:13 PM   #6610
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Good Republican, right? I apologize I see how someone might not be able to pick up on that. The Republican right is obviously redundant. My mistake.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:43 PM   #6611
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1572004888678404098

The top two GOP candidates are now both under criminal investigation.
This sheriff is now reportedly receiving threats for investigating DeSantis and Abbott. Aren't they the party of law and order?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1572328244879187970
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:51 AM   #6612
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

This is creepy!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1572253313219067904
Old 09-21-2022, 04:47 AM   #6613
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

I don't entirely hate John Kasich.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:49 AM   #6614
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone who thinks they figured out who the "good" politicians are are getting taken for a ride. The system is set up so the good ones are always weeded out or subverted well before they're able to make any kind of change. Anyone near the top of the two-party system works for the donor class while doing the absolute minimum required to to sell the illusion that they're working for the people.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 09:29 AM   #6615
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Anyone who thinks they figured out who the "good" politicians are are getting taken for a ride. The system is set up so the good ones are always weeded out or subverted well before they're able to make any kind of change. Anyone near the top of the two-party system works for the donor class while doing the absolute minimum required to to sell the illusion that they're working for the people.
Enough of your "both sides" BS. Only one side is actively working to take rights away from women and LGBTQ. Only one side is making plans to invalidate future elections if they don't win. Only one side has turned into a cult following an unstable man child. Whining about "both sides" being run by the elitest donor class is ridiculous considering there are basic human freedoms at risk of disappearing in the US
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:46 AM   #6616
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

New York attorney general files civil fraud lawsuit against Trump, some of his children and his business

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/21/polit...uit/index.html

- The New York state attorney general filed a sweeping lawsuit Wednesday against former President Donald Trump, three of his adult children and the Trump Organization, alleging they were involved in an expansive fraud lasting over a decade that the former President used to enrich himself.

In the more than 200-page lawsuit, Attorney General Letitia James, a Democrat, alleges the fraud touched all aspects of the Trump business, including its properties and golf courses. According to the lawsuit, the Trump Organization deceived lenders, insurers and tax authorities by inflating the value of his properties using misleading appraisals.

"These acts of fraud and misrepresentation were similar in nature, were committed by upper management at the Trump Organization as part of a common endeavor for each annual Statement, and were approved at the highest levels of the Trump Organization -- including by Mr. Trump himself," the lawsuit states.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #6617
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Well said,
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #6618
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Good Republican, right? I apologize I see how someone might not be able to pick up on that. The Republican right is obviously redundant. My mistake.
My confusion was more about who is suggesting that DeSantis is in any way "good". The same people who like Trump seem to like him, but I'm not even seeing NeverTrumpers going "ah, there's a breath of fresh air, we're team Ron".
Quote:
I don't entirely hate John Kasich.
Kasich doesn't count as a republican. You get to keep your emeritus spot even if you're no longer in office, but once you've spoken at the DNC you're off the team.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #6619
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1572611511750639618

https://twitter.com/user/status/1572611515634823169
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 11:01 AM   #6620
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

This really seems to follow what most people seemed to know about Trump well before he ran for president.

His whole lifestyle is built on exaggerating his wealth by putting his name on that and leveraging it to his advantage, and then putting planes, cars, houses, gold toilets on the business expenses to enjoy the spoils of luxury, but not actually ever building actual successful businesses.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote