Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #641
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally would like Treliving to stay.

I always wanted to give Hartley one more year, and I wish they had. I was open to Gulutzan, but I don't like what I see. There have been some fantastic games though, and you can definitely see structure.

Mt biggest issue is our top players look unmotivated (Monahan) and frustrated (Johnny). I don't know what's happening with them, but whatever it is a solution needs to be found soon.

Johnny creates things but they disappear into thin air, and even though he frequently receives penalizable actions, his reactions to it are becoming tiresome.

But that's also the point of the coach. He's SUPPOSED to be the one who screams at the refs, so the players don't have to and can focus on the game. Players worry about their play, let the coaches worry about the rules and the refs. I don't like that Gulutzan just let's it happen. I think he's trying to set some example that screaming at the refs doesn't accomplish anything, and that's true. For players.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #642
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm willing to give the Flames one more year. Once the Wideman contract is off the books and the cap space is spent else where this really is Treliving's team.

If the Flames are still mediocre next season however it's time for a full house cleaning from Burke down.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #643
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Yes! Let's have another overhaul in management and continue the cycle of suck.
How about some consistency.
The Flames have been consistently bad the past few seasons. I don't think that's something the Flames should be hanging on to. If the owners or management feel something's not working there's no point in keeping things the same for consistency sake.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #644
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Flames have been consistently bad the past few seasons. I don't think that's something the Flames should be hanging on to. If the owners or management feel something's not working there's no point in keeping things the same for consistency sake.
And one of the consistent elements in that time frame, at least during losing times, has been change at the top.
My comments are most centered on the GM position as opposed to the coach- though at this point I would not change either.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #645
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's so idiotic to talk about management change without an actual argument on what needs changing.

If you have an argument, make it, otherwise go whine into your pillow.

Insufferable idiocy.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #646
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
You folks forgetting about the Don Mahoney hire. Pretty sure he will be taking over GM or President of hockey operations if ownership decides to fire Burke or Treliving.
I expect that Maloney will be taking over for Burke. Much like it was known a year in advance that Burke was leaving Anaheim for Toronto, I think it's known that Burke is leaving the Flames for USA Hockey this summer.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #647
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see the point in changing management at this time. While Treliving hasn't been perfect, he has definitely been 'more good than bad' - by far in my mind.

Gulutzan is a mixed bag for me. Is the general youth of this core showing its' experience and merely going through some grow pains? Are they just figuring out how to play possession hockey, and learning how to gain possessions cleanly without taking MINORS? Maybe.

It is a bit perplexing to see this team as so good and so bad at the same time.

I am going to stand by what I said at the start of the season - this team is not a contender yet, so it is more important to me to see progression in the core than anything else. Is Gulutzan providing them with that? I don't know. If he isn't, then I would hope that they replace him in the off-season with someone more experienced.

I am not saying that Gulutzan should or shouldn't be let go. He should probably at least finish off the season and we can see where he took this team in all facets - development, structure/systems, standings, etc.

The Flames find themselves in a playoff spot, but in my opinion it has just as much to do with how many teams started off terribly as any improvement of their own.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #648
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
It's so idiotic to talk about management change without an actual argument on what needs changing.

If you have an argument, make it, otherwise go whine into your pillow.

Insufferable idiocy.
I almost spit my rye and coke through my nose.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #649
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
People in every walk of life need motivation. That's why positions like coaches or managers exist.

Also this is still a pretty young team with a captain who is not really a commanding presence. There needs to be leadership coming from somewhere, and it should be from behind the bench.

The coach has to do more than draw x's and o's on a whiteboard. Whether he likes it or not Gulutzan has to find out what make the players tick. Hockey is a game of passion, and that's missing.
Backlund needs an A or the C. He was so much better when he had the A 2 seasons ago. And her is one of the best players on the team atm. IMO.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #650
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett and Ferland all looked better as rookies than they do now.

I know people are upset with Brodie's play but how on earth does he go from an arguable top 10 D in the NHL who looked to one of the league's worst plus minuses (-19)?

Gaudreau's production has plummeted. Gio is coming off of three 60-point pced seasons. Now he's on pace for 30!

Goaltending sucked last year and it also sucks this year. At least last year our top players played well last year.

It doesn't take a genius to notice that Brodie is in a bad spot, yet he starts with Wideman every game. Gaudreau playing with Chiasson is a disgrace. Bennett looking better in the 2015 playoffs as an 18 year old coming off a shoulder surgery than he does now...

Last night should've been a game that Ferland was told to pull a Vancouver series. He looked completely disinterested. Gaudreau getting lit up by Larsson and nothing happens?

I'll end my rant now but at least I got about 10% of my thoughts down.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #651
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not that I am disagreeing with you, but Gulutzan's system doesn't make use of the D as much, and relies on much more controlled entries. It is more or less expected that the D would see a reduction in their offensive stats.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 11:53 PM   #652
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Safe to say the players have finally figured out the system?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #653
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

When they stick to it, I'd describe it as a very sound system. Much better than Hartley's.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #654
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is nice to see Gulutzan enjoy some success with what he has implemented here.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #655
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It took some time to get rid of the Hartley stench but I think we've finally done it. Gulutzan is a hell of a coach. Not perfect but gets the guys to play the right way every night.

Remember the first 5 games where we gave up like 5 breakaways a game? I don't even remember the last time we gave up a breakaway.

I've said it before but if you want to win in this league you have to play great defensive hockey. We also have the skill to score which means we should be a pain in the butt for any team in the playoffs.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 12:33 AM   #656
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett and Ferland all looked better as rookies than they do now.

I know people are upset with Brodie's play but how on earth does he go from an arguable top 10 D in the NHL who looked to one of the league's worst plus minuses (-19)?

Gaudreau's production has plummeted. Gio is coming off of three 60-point pced seasons. Now he's on pace for 30!

Goaltending sucked last year and it also sucks this year. At least last year our top players played well last year.

It doesn't take a genius to notice that Brodie is in a bad spot, yet he starts with Wideman every game. Gaudreau playing with Chiasson is a disgrace. Bennett looking better in the 2015 playoffs as an 18 year old coming off a shoulder surgery than he does now...

Last night should've been a game that Ferland was told to pull a Vancouver series. He looked completely disinterested. Gaudreau getting lit up by Larsson and nothing happens?

I'll end my rant now but at least I got about 10% of my thoughts down.
I should refer you to the 2017 playoff snake thread, where you will see this year's Flames are now 16 points ahead of last years team, and solidly in a playoff position.

Snake.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 AM   #657
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that this team refused to buy into the system for the first half of the season. We could see it whenever they faced any adversity and played whatever way they wanted to.

In a battle of GG's will against the teams, it looks like he finally sold them on the system and it looks like a great fun system.

A lot of us were talking about firing the coach in his first year which wasn't going to happen. Once this team started playing his system they became a completely different team.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 AM   #658
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

I love the set play they do on the PP. Pass down low, one touch to the low slot for a one timer. Monahan had a goal tonight if he connected there.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #659
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since November 15, this team is 3rd in the Western Conference and 6th overall. Their points/game pace since then would put them at 104 points over the course of an entire 82 game season.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #660
GoFlamesGo89
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Since November 15, this team is 3rd in the Western Conference and 6th overall. Their points/game pace since then would put them at 104 points over the course of an entire 82 game season.
So conference finals then?
GoFlamesGo89 is offline   Reply With Quote