Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #641
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If every parking space has an in use charger, it's probably going to exceed a building's power capacity. This is a future problem, but probably within 20 years, given the planning to get us off of gas.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #642
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it is slightly easier to upgrade the grid than explore, extract, refine and transport petrol.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #643
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If every parking space has an in use charger, it's probably going to exceed a building's power capacity. This is a future problem, but probably within 20 years, given the planning to get us off of gas.
But it is a now problem too, because if the only way apartments can support their tenants cars is by exceeding their power capacity, battery powered EVs may not be the correct bet.

Long term, I think the utility of hydrogen is going to win out. You can make a hydrogen airplane.

You can’t do that with batteries.

Here’s a fun number: 1kg of hydrogen stores 236 more times the energy than 1kg of lithium ion.

You can fuel a hydrogen car in them same amount of time as a gas one.

Supercharging takes a full episode of Breaking Bad, and it’s not even good for the one the plebs can afford.

https://www.electriccarfaq.com/tesla...?cn-reloaded=1

The battery “doesn’t like heat”.

Oh.

These cars are goofy.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #644
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

In general I don't like hydrogen from an overall efficiency point of view, especially combustion hydrogen.

But there might be a space for it as the points raised are legit points.

Here's an interesting recent video I watched:

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #645
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I think it is slightly easier to upgrade the grid than explore, extract, refine and transport petrol.
Upgrade how? More solar that only works during the day or more wind that only works when its windy?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #646
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
So, any news on how people who don’t own homes are meant to operate an EV as a daily driver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Or those in condo buildings without any EV charging infrastructure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
….. they add them over time as a selling feature? Are these actual question marks from you two?

Time. Time is the answer.
The major way this is going to be accomplished is by providing DC fast charging stations at most places that people stop at. Run in to 7-11 for 5 minutes, charge 25% of your battery. Stop at the mall for an hour, car fully charged. Stop somewhere for 20 minutes, battery is at 80%

Condos and apartments don’t need charging stations fir each parking spot, they could probably get by by providing a couple fast charging stations. In about 5 years, condos and apartments will have to have this infrastructure if they want to attract people.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #647
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

To be clear, I don’t see EV’s as the end of transportation evolution.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #648
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Upgrade how? More solar that only works during the day or more wind that only works when its windy?
This has been discussed at length here and just about every forum out there. Short answer is grid smoothing, charging off peak, battery storage. I think every new home built should have solar and battery storage, maybe not quite yet the technology is not mature enough. But in 5 years I can see it being cheap enough where it doesn't make sense not to do it.

I stand by my prediction that in 10 years we will have too much electricity, unless government stupidity steps in.

BTW I HATE ugly POS wind turbines.

Last edited by zamler; 06-22-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #649
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hydrogen sounds like a great alternative, but it's got a whole host of challenges. So do batteries, but batteries were a lot easier to implement quickly. So here we are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #650
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

As of now, i drive my car about once or twice a week. I would argue most people in inner city apartments buildings are similar.

For someone like me, fast charging and battery range are *largely* a minor inconvenience.

I know others who have an EV car and a gas powered car. The EV is for everyday use. Commute to work, drive to the store, etc. The gas powered car is secondary for longer trips or if the EV is in use or dead.

The vast majority of households have 2+ cars. why can't one of those be an EV? does a supply chain analyst commuting downtown from McKenzie towne really need a Ford F350 to go along with his/her spouse's Tahoe?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #651
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This has been discussed at length here and just about every forum out there. Short answer is grid smoothing, charging off peak, battery storage. I think every new home built should have solar and battery storage, maybe not quite yet the technology is not mature enough. But in 5 years I can see it being cheap enough where it doesn't make sense not to do it.

I stand by my prediction that in 10 years we will have too much electricity, unless government stupidity steps in.

BTW I HATE ugly POS win turbines.
That's expensive and inefficient though. Grid scale power is by far the cheapest and easiest way to implement solar. Adding batteries and all the conversion equipment to each house is wasteful and expensive.

We really only need about 10% more generating capacity to take care of electric passenger vehicles, so generation isn't the colossal an issue to get over.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #652
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Hydrogen sounds like a great alternative, but it's got a whole host of challenges. So do batteries, but batteries were a lot easier to implement quickly. So here we are.
Hydrogen tank is essentially a battery and not an efficient one either in terms of space or energy. If we have excess electricity then I think it is a great way to store energy on a mass scale even when the efficiency is relatively poor. It is nearly 100% clean if atom splitting is done via electricity.

What doesn't make sense is producing, compressing into tanks, transporting, pumping into tanks again, pumping into the tank in your car. For giant ships and the like makes way more sense to me.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #653
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's expensive and inefficient though. Grid scale power is by far the cheapest and easiest way to implement solar. Adding batteries and all the conversion equipment to each house is wasteful and expensive.
It is not efficient, true. But having decentralized power makes the grid way more resistant to going down especially in bad weather.
Quote:
We really only need about 10% more generating capacity to take care of electric passenger vehicles, so generation isn't the colossal an issue to get over.
Where do you get 10% from? Not saying that is wrong but seems low.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #654
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hydrogen tank is essentially a battery and not an efficient one either in terms of space or energy. If we have excess electricity then I think it is a great way to store energy on a mass scale even when the efficiency is relatively poor. It is nearly 100% clean if atom splitting is done via electricity.

What doesn't make sense is producing, compressing into tanks, transporting, pumping into tanks again, pumping into the tank in your car. For giant ships and the like makes way more sense to me.
Yes, I think hydrogen is more suited to trucking and that sort of thing in the near term. Far better than loading a semi with massive batteries that take a lot of charge time, and mean you drag them around with you. Using electrolysis takes a lot of power though, so using it for a grid battery doesn't make much sense either.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:08 PM   #655
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is not efficient, true. But having decentralized power makes the grid way more resistant to going down especially in bad weather.

Where do you get 10% from? Not saying that is wrong but seems low.
I was curious awhile ago so ran some numbers:
Spoiler!

Basically we generate 81TWh, and only need ~7TWh additional to cover standard passenger vehicles(if they are as efficent as a model 3, which I assumed would mostly be the case by 2030). We would need more for things like city buses, industrial vehicles etc. Like I said, just some rough numbers to show it isn't totally unattainable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 01:11 PM   #656
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, I think hydrogen is more suited to trucking and that sort of thing in the near term. Far better than loading a semi with massive batteries that take a lot of charge time, and mean you drag them around with you.
You drag hydrogen tanks and fuel cell stack around as well, no free lunch.
Quote:
Using electrolysis takes a lot of power though, so using it for a grid battery doesn't make much sense either.
At a certain point it does if you have more daytime electricity than you can use. Also solar on every home solves the problem of where do you put giant solar farms.

...wow thanks for doing the math.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #657
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A hydrogen tank for a semi is going to weigh a lot less than the batteries for one, though. Hydrogen filling stations at truck stops are an easier problem to solve than ones at every corner gas station. You also solve the issue of having tens or hundreds of trucks at a truck stop trying to charge, and the nuclear reactors you would need to power it!

I think rooftop solar should basically be a requirement for warehouses over a certain size. I'm far from convinced the costs for individual houses makes much sense.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #658
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I was curious awhile ago so ran some numbers:
Spoiler!

Basically we generate 81TWh, and only need ~7TWh additional to cover standard passenger vehicles(if they are as efficent as a model 3, which I assumed would mostly be the case by 2030). We would need more for things like city buses, industrial vehicles etc. Like I said, just some rough numbers to show it isn't totally unattainable.
But our current electricity generation in Alberta is 43% coal and 49% natural gas for a total of 92% fossil fuels.

All is ok as long as our cars run on a battery?

What is really needed is a shift in power production but, unlike other provinces, we don't have any water so the only alternative is uranium like Ontario.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #659
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
A hydrogen tank for a semi is going to weigh a lot less than the batteries for one, though.
Yep.
Quote:
Hydrogen filling stations at truck stops are an easier problem to solve than ones at every corner gas station. You also solve the issue of having tens or hundreds of trucks at a truck stop trying to charge, and the nuclear reactors you would need to power it!
The energy has to come from somewhere to make the hydrogen, which is a way less efficient method of using electricity to power a motor.
Quote:
I think rooftop solar should basically be a requirement for warehouses over a certain size. I'm far from convinced the costs for individual houses makes much sense.
It's not a great value proposition currently, in 5 years extrapolated it will. In 10 years solar and batteries will likely be 2x cheaper than we have now. At that point every other form of electricity generation will make no financial sense.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #660
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep.

The energy has to come from somewhere to make the hydrogen, which is a way less efficient method of using electricity to power a motor.

It's not a great value proposition currently, in 5 years extrapolated it will. In 10 years solar and batteries will likely be 2x cheaper than we have now. At that point every other form of electricity generation will make no financial sense.
I'm not sure of that...but even then, it will always be cheaper to do grid scale solar and batteries, as opposed to indivdual units replicating all the controllers and such, plus the much higher install costs and installation compromises due to not being able to optimize placement. Land use is the biggest issue, but I'm sure there is enough around here to handle it.