Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #6541
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
How does anyone convince themselves that Russia is fighting a justified war when they make statements like that? I get that there might be some reasoning where you could possibly convince yourself that Russia is fighting neo-Nazis or Western imperialism/aggression.....but then they have a spokesman boasting about manufacturing a global famine....
I guess in their twisted view no price is to high to pay in order to protect Russia from Ukrainian Nazis and Western aggression. Starving half the population of the developing world to death is the price they are willing to pay.

They are mindless brutes and it's high time another revolution happened there. Hopefully this one will finally be the democratic revolution.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #6542
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I guess in their twisted view no price is to high to pay in order to protect Russia from Ukrainian Nazis and Western aggression. Starving half the population of the developing world to death is the price they are willing to pay.

They are mindless brutes and it's high time another revolution happened there. Hopefully this one will finally be the democratic revolution.
Wishful thinking. Russia is like a rabid dog with rabies that constantly bites attacks everyone around it (countries like Chechnya, Georgia, Ukraine, Estonia, Abkhazia, etc.)

The dog should have been put down a long time ago, but nobody wants to do the dirty work, lest you get bitten yourself and we all get rabies (aka nuclear confrontation).

Therefore the only reasonable action is to put that dog in it's own space away from everybody else and surround it by a high fence so it can't get out. NATO is that high fence and the day Russia is surrounded by as many NATO allies as possible, the safer we all are. Decades of attempting to bring them into civilized society has failed and this is the only reasonable thing left to do for the rest of our sakes. Surround them with NATO members, cut them off as much as possible from Western goods and take away their oil money as much as possible. They can cry and moan about expansion or whatever like they always do. They will convince their population to hate the West. But who ####ing cares. Take the gloves off and deal with this threat to world peace once and for all.

Absolute nonsense this war is still going on and now we're at the point of them wanting to starve all of us to get what they want. All because they are too stupid to #### off back home. Ridiculous.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #6543
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Saw a news article about a job fair in Calgary for Ukrainian refugees over the weekend. 30 employers were there like the Sheraton, etc.

https://globalnews.ca/video/8914434/...obs-in-calgary

Any other uplifting stories about Ukrainian refugees in Calgary that people have come across?

I found this one from Manitoba awhile back:
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 03:52 PM   #6544
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

English subb'ed documentary on the crack of dawn tree top flights into Mariupol.

burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 06:09 PM   #6545
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Even then, you could choose to be willfully blind and look at it as cutting off Ukraine from sales and financial resources. Instead, the Russians are leaning into the whole hunger crisis thing like supervillains.

Maybe I'm just used to American style expansionism where they always try and cover things up by at least pretending it's all about freedom and liberty.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:18 PM   #6546
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1539019204267057153
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 10:34 AM   #6547
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Russian leadership/kremlin/oligarchs are just gangsters in suits.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #6548
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got an update from my wife's family in Kozacha Lopan, Kharkiv Oblast. As I have mentioned before, my in-laws have been trapped there since the day the war started. My wife was able to escape with her friend and cousin, but for the most part evacuations and escapes have been impossible from KL for a while.

My wife's family have been speaking to everybody there about evacuations for the people remaining. They have been denied at every turn. If you try and flee towards Kharkiv city, you get shot in the back. The Russians are using KL as a staging area to fire artillery towards Dergachi and other villages south of them, where the UA army are stationed as they attempt to move up north. Because Russian artillery is shot from KL, the UA army shoots back at KL which means residence there are under fire from both sides. It's a brutal situation with some close calls for them recently. Still many people dead and houses destroyed on their street.

Today my MIL said that a bunch of people went to the mayor to see about him organizing evacuations. However this mayor of KL is such a piece of ####. The actual mayor ran away so this new mayor is a Russian-instilled puppet who works for the RU side. He blatantly told the people asking for evacuations today (and every day) that he will not organize anything, as the more people stay in the village the less likely the Ukrainian army is to shoot them with artillery. As we suspected, he is using the people there as human shields. The only thing he said is that if the Russian army can push the UA army more south towards Kharkiv city then he'll arrange evacuations since the people living there are no longer needed (as human shields). But that's probably bull#### too since there have been plenty of times where there hasn't been fighting there and he still refused to evacuate anyone.

There isn't a lot of news about the fighting north of Kharkiv city with most of the attention focused on Donbas and the south. MIL talked to some RU soldiers on their street and they said their orders from their superiors are to take Kharkiv city at any cost and the plan is to never give up occupied territory north of Kharkiv. Many people mistakenly think that the RU army retreated from Kharkiv like they did around Kyiv and that Kharkiv is now safe. The truth is that while the fighting did die down somewhat over the past few months relative to the start, it is starting to pick up again. Kharkiv still gets hit everyday by artillery within rage and missiles from Belgorod. This redditor r/Sabreflux has been giving daily updates on what is happening in the city itself. It has died down from the start of the war, but Russian terrorist attacks are still taking place everyday.

Over the weekend the post secondary school my wife graduated from in Kharkiv was hit by a missile. According to one Russian statement, there was a meeting there taking place between NATO officials and Nazis .
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #6549
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1539362115076644864
Old 06-22-2022, 04:09 PM   #6550
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ukraine hit a Russian oil refinery with a kamikaze UAV.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1539512743333613569

https://twitter.com/user/status/1539512978822860801

https://twitter.com/user/status/1539518017763217409
Old 06-22-2022, 04:18 PM   #6551
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Lots of discussion about what type of drone it was, some suggesting it was a Russian model, supported by the comments of the bystanders' commentary in the video. If so did Ukraine capture and repurpose it? Or if it was not a Russian model how did it get 300 km into Russian airspace, and for that matter why go that far for a target? Lots of questions.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:51 PM   #6552
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Lots of discussion about what type of drone it was, some suggesting it was a Russian model, supported by the comments of the bystanders' commentary in the video. If so did Ukraine capture and repurpose it? Or if it was not a Russian model how did it get 300 km into Russian airspace, and for that matter why go that far for a target? Lots of questions.
Rather suspicious someone just happened to catch it on camera?
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:47 PM   #6553
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Rather suspicious someone just happened to catch it on camera?
Not really, it wasn't moving that fast and most modern phones have really good cameras
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:20 AM   #6554
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Not really, it wasn't moving that fast and most modern phones have really good cameras
Russians don't have modern phones.

They have North Korean knockoff Samsnugs and Russian жPhone
Old 06-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #6555
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Russians don't have modern phones.

They have North Korean knockoff Samsnugs and Russian жPhone
A quick google search shows that they use the same phones we do, some sites show Samsung as #1 and some show Apple as #1. Russia also has cameras everywhere due to fraud, my Russian buddy was explaining how people will jump on your parked car and claim you hit them.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:06 AM   #6556
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will concede the joke was not funny, but I thought it was obvious I wasn't serious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #6557
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This war can't go on 10 more years, let alone 10 more months. The attrition in this war will effect the Ukranian's more then the Russian Military who seem mostly to just sit back and systematically destroy infrastructure and everything of value.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:19 PM   #6558
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1539931757621006336

Quote:
"Summer will be hot for russian occupiers. And the last one for some of them,”
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...ved-in-ukraine

Quote:
During a summit in Brussels on Thursday, leaders of the European Union's 27 member states gathered to formally accept Ukraine's EU candidacy in a symbolic step that will kickstart the bloc's most ambitious expansion since welcoming Eastern European states after the Cold War.

https://globalnews.ca/video/8942800/...-eu-candidacy/

Obligatory #### you Russia, go home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #6559
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This war can't go on 10 more years, let alone 10 more months. The attrition in this war will effect the Ukranian's more then the Russian Military who seem mostly to just sit back and systematically destroy infrastructure and everything of value.
Ohhhhh I would be prepared to buckle up. This one has all the makings of one of those “never ending” type wars.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #6560
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Drones from this war have crossed over a few countries, either intentionally or errantly. One just recently crashed in Romania. A few months ago, one crossed over Romania and Hungary, before crashing in Croatia and leaving a big crater. Not to mention the ones that have crossed into Russia. I don't know if that is due to the nature of drones being difficult to detect and stop, or if the air defenses in these regions are just inadequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of worry lately that Ukraine cannot sustain things at the current pace despite valiantly holding their own. I think there are two potential end games at this point. Russia secures the areas it currently has and Ukraine's border is redrawn before joining the EU and later into NATO. It sucks for Ukraine and I am not saying that I advocate for just cutting losses and moving forward, but I don't think countries supporting Ukraine's efforts are going to want to keep this going much longer.

The other possibility is that the war expands. There are numerous ways this could happen. Internal conflict in Russia, a revolution in Belarus forcing Russia to intervene, but more likely Russia either invading another country or another country entering on Ukraine's behalf. Moldova for one could be one to watch. There are fears that Russia intends to eventually connect the occupied regions in Ukraine with Transnistria and could occupy Moldova in the process. Russia has tried to control that area on and off for hundreds of years. Moldova's current government is pro-West and has not ruled out possibly seeking unification with Romania if it ever got to that point. Their constitution recognizes "Moldovans" as a Romanian people and the only reason why they decided to retain their independence was under political pressure to not shake the boat. A conflict there would immediately escalate the situation with NATO as there is no way Romania would stay out of it.

Not to be the conspiracy guy, but if some leaders want Ukraine to hold out longer, things could be allowed to happen to help justify expanding it. Given that the Ukraine EU talks have heated up though, I suspect that they are preparing for the first scenario.

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks