Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2022, 01:16 AM   #6421
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Meet the Apostle of Right-Wing Christian Nationalism

Quote:
Dutch Sheets stood behind Marjorie Taylor Greene, the palms of his hands held up to God.

Revered by followers as a modern Christian apostle, Sheets told a packed crowd at Gas South Arena, outside Atlanta, to pray with him for the GOP congresswoman, who touts herself as a Christian nationalist, and appeared onstage in a bright-red dress.

“We say she is covered by the blood of Jesus,” Sheets said. “She will not be taken out by evil forces,” he insisted, adding: “We take authority over that in Jesus’ name. And we cover her now with a shield of prayer and faith and say, ‘Be strong! Be blessed! You are highly favored! You will not fail,’ in Jesus’ name.”
Quote:
The right’s new hunger for theocracy is creating an opening for figures like Sheets, who has long preached that Christians cannot only impose their morals on society through the levers of government, but that doing so is Jesus’ most ardent desire.
Quote:
Inside the arena, Sheets was soon leading the spirited crowd in a recitation of a new document he co-authored called the “Watchman Decree.” It reads like a Christian nationalist pledge of allegiance.

“As a patriot of faith, I attest my allegiance first and foremost to the Kingdom of God and the Great Commission,” Sheets began. (The “Great Commission” refers to the instruction by the resurrected Jesus to his followers to “make disciples of all nations.”) He then led the crowd in a series of theocratic declarations, including:

“We, the Church, are God’s governing Body on the Earth.”
“We have been given legal power and authority from Heaven.”
“We are … delegated by Him to destroy every attempted advance of the enemy.”

The audience then read aloud, with Sheets, a list of 13 decrees, including that the three branches of U.S. government will “honor God,” “write only laws that are righteous,” and only “issue rulings that are biblical.” The congregation continued, in unison, “We declare that we stand against wokeness, the occult, and every evil attempt against our nation.”

They concluded with Sheets’ trademark spiritual battle cry: “We decree that America shall be saved!”
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/meet-apost...130000533.html
Old 09-02-2022, 03:51 AM   #6422
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default American Politics 3.0 - Back to Brunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post

It’s nice to know the right is in fear of Dark Braden.

Painting him like this hurts their sleepy demented Joe narrative don’t you think?

Last edited by Mull; 09-02-2022 at 03:59 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:57 AM   #6423
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Meet the Apostle of Right-Wing Christian Nationalism

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/meet-apost...130000533.html
I believe you meant to post this in the "religions doing awful things" thread.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:30 AM   #6424
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I believe you meant to post this in the "religions doing awful things" thread.
I've been told religion makes people happier and live longer, so we should welcome this fascist theocracy with open arms.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2022, 07:59 AM   #6425
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've been told religion makes people happier and live longer, so we should welcome this fascist theocracy with open arms.
That’s a disingenuous interpretation of the discussion which occurred in that thread.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:04 AM   #6426
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biden and the Dems get ~5% saltier and the entire Republican party ####s it's pants while frothing at the mouth about "unity" and "decorum", like they didn't try to stage a coup last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #6427
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

MAGA Jan. 6, 2021: violent attack on the U.S. Capitol in an attempt to overthrow an election to keep their god in power.
Same MAGA Sept. 1, 2022: Joe Biden is attempting to tear the country apart.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #6428
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1565729478348836865
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #6429
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
These chips appear to be semi vital to military tech- I love the USA can flex their hand and burden the Chinese military.

I like the commercial hit China will take, despite the hit NVIDIA will take.

What don't you like about it?
I don't really see how it benefits anyone, other than the US as hegemon.

AI is such an essential tech for economic activity and growth now that restricting chips like that is a very aggressive move in a trade environment. Long-term, it's just leading towards more siloed economic activity in chip design and production, which the US has been pushing for years now anyways, but in the near term it's just a further heightening of tensions between the US and China, quite unnecessarily.

Personally, I'm in favour of more economic cooperation, but the US under Biden has been very hawkish internationally and is pushing the world further towards conflict. He's clearly a fervent believer in American exceptionalism and seems to be operating in a way aligned with the ideas of a new American century. I just don't see how that's a good thing for the world.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2022, 01:17 PM   #6430
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

AI is such an essential tech for economic activity and growth now that restricting chips like that is a very aggressive move in a trade environment. Long-term, it's just leading towards more siloed economic activity in chip design and production, which the US has been pushing for years now anyways, but in the near term it's just a further heightening of tensions between the US and China, quite unnecessarily.

Personally, I'm in favour of more economic cooperation, but the US under Biden has been very hawkish internationally and is pushing the world further towards conflict. He's clearly a fervent believer in American exceptionalism and seems to be operating in a way aligned with the ideas of a new American century. I just don't see how that's a good thing for the world.

Why would anyone be in favour of more economic cooperation work China?

That was the doctrine for what the last 40 years and with it China would get more liberal and such.

Instead they are THE international competitor for the USA.

Everything the US can do that would hurt the Chinese economy at a lessor cost to the USA should be discussed.

Biden being hawkish is awesome.

It’s just too bad trump was so stupid that he killed the TPPP
Old 09-02-2022, 03:25 PM   #6431
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would anyone be in favour of more economic cooperation work China?

That was the doctrine for what the last 40 years and with it China would get more liberal and such.

Instead they are THE international competitor for the USA.

Everything the US can do that would hurt the Chinese economy at a lessor cost to the USA should be discussed.

Biden being hawkish is awesome.

It’s just too bad trump was so stupid that he killed the TPPP
Economic cooperation is good for peace and prosperity.

Is the bolded quote above representative of the liberalism that China ought to have adopted? Your post reads a lot like "They don't share our politics and they're also economically successful, so we should do them harm".

Old 09-02-2022, 03:44 PM   #6432
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Economic cooperation is good for peace and prosperity.

Is the bolded quote above representative of the liberalism that China ought to have adopted? Your post reads a lot like "They don't share our politics, engage in genocide, destroyed democracy in Hong Kong, severely oppress their people, and they're also economically successful, so we should do them harm".
Fixed that for you
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2022, 04:27 PM   #6433
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default American Politics 3.0 - Back to Brunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Fixed that for you

This among another things. The USA is denying them critical military components- wonderful.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:53 PM   #6434
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Fixed that for you
Oh, okay, so it's grounded on the moral inferiority of China and the moral superiority of the US? That makes sense. Their record is squeaky clean, so it must be about the moral issues and how much the US just loves people and their freedoms all around the world. That's credible. Can't imagine there being any other motives then.

Old 09-02-2022, 04:57 PM   #6435
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, okay, so it's grounded on the moral inferiority of China and the moral superiority of the US? That makes sense. Their record is squeaky clean, so it must be about the moral issues and how much the US just loves people and their freedoms all around the world. That's credible. Can't imagine there being any other motives then.

Are you confusing the difference of American past record with China current events-

or

actually trying you compare America current /recent actions with China? If so - ya China is a moral lesser to the USA today by a large margin.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:24 PM   #6436
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
America is a pretty ####ed up place, but they're not running concentration camps and trying to exterminate large groups of people in the 21st century. WTF are you smoking to even try to defend China's government?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #6437
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you confusing the difference of American past record with China current events-

or

actually trying you compare America current /recent actions with China? If so - ya China is a moral lesser to the USA today by a large margin.
I'm actually just mocking the idea that the US is in this primarily as a moral actor interested in helping people elsewhere in the world, and not just as a dominant power that's pretty comfortable with a unipolar world and wants to maintain that situation, even at the expense of what would be good for most people.

Economic cooperation and absence of conflict would be good for most people.

The biggest challenge for world peace and prosperity isn't China. It's that the BRICs nations now make up more of the world's GDP than do the USA and Europe combined, and that there is a shifting global balance of power away from the US. Response to the changing balance could be more or less peaceful. I would rather cheer for peace than for conflict.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2022, 06:20 PM   #6438
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm actually just mocking the idea that the US is in this primarily as a moral actor interested in helping people elsewhere in the world, and not just as a dominant power that's pretty comfortable with a unipolar world and wants to maintain that situation, even at the expense of what would be good for most people.

Economic cooperation and absence of conflict would be good for most people.

The biggest challenge for world peace and prosperity isn't China. It's that the BRICs nations now make up more of the world's GDP than do the USA and Europe combined, and that there is a shifting global balance of power away from the US. Response to the changing balance could be more or less peaceful. I would rather cheer for peace than for conflict.

Oh I will cheer for peace but on our terms.

You keep trying to shift my view so I will ignore that portion.

Back to my post -denying China chips helps ensure peace remains with them - on our terms
Old 09-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #6439
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I will cheer for peace but on our terms.

You keep trying to shift my view so I will ignore that portion.

Back to my post -denying China chips helps ensure peace remains with them - on our terms
Ha, I'm not trying to "shift your view". Perhaps you just need to communicate that view more clearly.

Feel free to expand on whatever I seem to have misinterpreted, such as how this is a statement in favour of peace.

Quote:

Biden being hawkish is awesome
And perhaps you should expand on what you mean by "our terms", just so that I don't get that wrong too.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:52 PM   #6440
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Lol, luckily China doesn't act in this EXACT manner and in ONLY this manner.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote