Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2022, 11:20 AM   #6401
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

If he makes it to market which I still don't think he will, I wonder if a team like Seattle throws crazy money at him ($11.75+). Seattle just drafted Wright and have Beniers as well up front. Not saying he would sign there or be interested at all but I could see if he gets to market, Seattle desperately trying.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:22 AM   #6402
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
If he makes it to market which I still don't think he will, I wonder if a team like Seattle throws crazy money at him ($11.75+). Seattle just drafted Wright and have Beniers as well up front. Not saying he would sign there or be interested at all but I could see if he gets to market, Seattle desperately trying.
The only reason Johnny might choose to leave is to be closer to home. I can guarantee if he doesn’t sign in Calgary he won’t be signing anywhere on west coast.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #6403
OILFAN #81

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
The only reason Johnny might choose to leave is to be closer to home. I can guarantee if he doesn’t sign in Calgary he won’t be signing anywhere on west coast.
I agree with you and that's why I said I didn't think he would be interested. I said I could see a team like Seattle desperately trying though.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:28 AM   #6404
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rating-income/

Everything i can find online shows that the Oilers posted a positive operating income in every year except the covid season. Including net franchise valuation gains independent of the arena deal, I would say they are profitable over the same period.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...U.S.%20dollars.

Same graph of publicly available information for the flames.

The oilers are in a worse market than the flames by many measures. Smaller city, less corporate revenue. They did get the arena deal from the city but as i have shown above, they already seemingly were operating at a better level than the flames prior to that deal. They have built their fan base better over nothern alberta and saskatchewan. But, my point is that the conditions our owners claim are insurmountable have been surmounted by other business people elsewhere. If they don't think they can do it, they should sell the team to someone who can.
Teams are structured differently, which means some items make it into operating revenue for some teams and not other teams. Calculating profitability is not an apples to apples exercise, even though they do their best to make them as close as possible.

Also, unless profits are rolled up to the owners, it's largely irrelevant to their investment.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #6405
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Also, unless profits are rolled up to the owners, it's largely irrelevant to their investment.
Yeah I have absolutely no dispute with this. I just believe that it's a completely disingenuous talking point to even levy, and want to show why. Even if it is true, it is their own fault that the team isn't profitable, so stop wielding it like a club.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #6406
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I can't see Gaudreau being into a deal there at all. It'll be multiple years before Seattle is competing, even with Gaudreau. Gaudreau would be burning his prime. Seattle can only give him 7 years, so that means losing money on the back end of his career.

Calgary will be offering up a very competitive contract financially. Johnny leaves if he wants to be closer to home and for no other reason.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #6407
OILFAN #81

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I can't see Gaudreau being into a deal there at all. It'll be multiple years before Seattle is competing, even with Gaudreau. Gaudreau would be burning his prime. Seattle can only give him 7 years, so that means losing money on the back end of his career.

Calgary will be offering up a very competitive contract financially. Johnny leaves if he wants to be closer to home and for no other reason.
Yes, I agree. As mentioned earlier I don't think he would sign there. I think they would try and he wouldn't be interested. Seattle I think will throw money at someone like Gaudreau, Kadri or Kane.

Last edited by OILFAN #81; 07-08-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #6408
smithtofuhr86
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I know it's a long shot with the cap situation but I have always wondered about the Rangers as well. They are obviously a good team, close to home, original six etc. I know when my nephew went to school and played in that area (Clarkson) in talking to some of the kids and also parents that grew up around there it really reminded me of how some of the Ontario boys (Tavares, Marner, Stamkos, Subban, Joe Thornton, Gio etc.) grew up idolizing the Leafs that boys from the area Johnny was in of course had Philly, Pittsburgh kind of like Toronto has Ottawa and Buffalo but Broadway was Broadway and a dream destination for some that New York city, MSG vibe and everything that comes with it. Reading Sean Avery's book he mentions Detroit, LA but fell in love with New York. To the point that he knew as soon as he signed in Dallas and shortly after how much of a mistake it was because once you enter a place like New York according to him, it's hard to exit for some.

Last edited by smithtofuhr86; 07-08-2022 at 11:52 AM.
smithtofuhr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:55 AM   #6409
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau, you haven't done the Flames any favours. Make up your damn mind. Everything hinges on what you do. If you really want to be a Flame, give Tre an answer. You at least owe it to your team mates so they can get on with their careers. God forbid that you only get 9.5 instead of 10+.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 11:56 AM   #6410
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Gaudreau, you haven't done the Flames any favours. Make up your damn mind. Everything hinges on what you do. If you really want to be a Flame, give Tre an answer. You at least owe it to your team mates so they can get on with their careers. God forbid that you only get 9.5 instead of 10+.
Gaudreau owes the Flames nothing. No fans should be upset with him.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #6411
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The only thing he owes them is to be up front if he has no intent to sign.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 12:04 PM   #6412
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Totally disagree. Just because you become a UFA as of a date that doesn’t mean that obligation and loyalty suddenly mean nothing. He should let the Flames know where his head is at. It’s the decent thing to do for an organization that gave him his start.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:05 PM   #6413
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Agreed, but if he has made up his mind that he wants to leave, there's no reason why he wouldn't tell the Flames right now.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #6414
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the chances that if Gaudreau doesn't want to be here, he'll let the Flames put together a sign and trade to get something meaningful in return? That 8th year has to be worth something to Jersey/Philly, right?

He doesn't owe the Flames anything, but it would be a lot cooler if he did.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:09 PM   #6415
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Totally disagree. Just because you become a UFA as of a date that doesn’t mean that obligation and loyalty suddenly mean nothing. He should let the Flames know where his head is at. It’s the decent thing to do for an organization that gave him his start.
Yu are assuming he has made up his mind and it is written in stone. That is very unlikely the case. The more likely scenario is he is using his position and flexibility to see how it plays out.

Even if he is set on staying with the Flames, it is still in his best interest to keep things on the edge here, to maximize his negotiation strength

As soon as he does you a solid and tells the Flames what he is going to do, his position is weakened. But yours is strengthened, so he's obviously being an ass.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #6416
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Popped in looking for an update. Leaving confused and trying to figure out why I opened a thread about Oilers' operating income.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #6417
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with you and that's why I said I didn't think he would be interested. I said I could see a team like Seattle desperately trying though.
Lebrun has reported this twice in the Athletic (that Seattle would offer him a contract if he got to free agency). I'm not really sure what the point is even bringing that up. The worst or second worst team in the west, an expansion team, not an anomaly like Vegas that gets good right away but a standard bad one, who seems to have made questionable choices in coaching, roster and management frankly. Anything that is inconvenient about Calgary to Gaudreau like travel or distance to family is the same if not worse there. If you bring up Seattle may as well add Arizona, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Columbus to the mix. He could technically sign anywhere I guess!
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #6418
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Popped in looking for an update. Leaving confused and trying to figure out why I opened a thread about Oilers' operating income.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #6419
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he goes to UFA, I’m sure it is to see which team is going to offer him what $$’s. Then he can make the most informed decision possible. The Flames know this and that he may well leave at that point. I don’t see what else he needs to tell the team.
Every free agent that has left every team in every sport has said it was difficult decision and that it was not about the money. Should it come to that, that will also be the case here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #6420
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
For sure. And I’m sure even in the worst case, the Flames remain an option for him.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win