Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2024, 02:56 PM   #621
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Utah Arches
Utah Monuments
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 02:57 PM   #622
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

When people were talking about betting that the Coyotes would have a new arena before the Flames… do you think this is what they meant?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 02:58 PM   #623
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Utah Relocators.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:01 PM   #624
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
This is so, so weird. I am not happy the our only hope is The Meruelo Group. See ya in 5-10 years with aDoan led group
Interesting hearing Biz on TNT last night. He's been party line with the owners in the past. Not outright supporting them, but not ripping them either. But he was upset, a little choked about how the team is no longer there, but said he wanted nothing to do with those owners which ends that relationship if they get another team. Could see him being part of a consortium if they get a new group.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:07 PM   #625
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah I think any future Coyotes ownership group will include Bissonnette and Doan for sure. I do wonder whether part of the issue in AZ was with seemingly latching on with one big businessman instead of a group of them ... Meruelo's financial troubles probably would've been easier to absorb had he just been one of five owners.

I highly doubt it happens under Meruelo but I'd be surprised if we didn't hear something about a consortium of interested people forming in AZ relatively soon, maybe even during Meruelo's five-year window. Especially if he can't win the auction.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:17 PM   #626
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unless Bisonnette has killed it with his social media endeavours he doesn't have near the amount of money to play in the world of pro sports team ownership. He has career earnings of less than $5 million. Maybe a job with the new team and a 1% stake but even that's $10 million plus.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:18 PM   #627
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I'll adopt SL as a second team while the Flames go through their suck era.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:21 PM   #628
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Utah Monuments
Utah Monoliths (like the weird metallic thing out in the middle of nowhere)

Their logo can just be a vertically oriented rectangle.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:24 PM   #629
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Unless Bisonnette has killed it with his social media endeavours he doesn't have near the amount of money to play in the world of pro sports team ownership. He has career earnings of less than $5 million. Maybe a job with the new team and a 1% stake but even that's $10 million plus.
Yeah I think more as a figurehead. "Hey Paul, here's a hundredth of a percent, be our colour commentator."

Old 04-18-2024, 03:27 PM   #630
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that Meruelo somehow got $1B from this deal and the NHL still gave him the trademark to the Coyotes name and the 5 year exclusive window is crazy.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:40 PM   #631
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Utah Jets. Reclaim the franchise name.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 03:47 PM   #632
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

I have been to events at the Delta Center and am on their marketing lists. I got this about an hour ago in my email.

The NHL is coming to Utah, and we want to give you priority access to be part of it all! Today, the National Hockey League (NHL) announced the establishment of a new NHL franchise in Utah, which will begin play at Delta Center in the 2024-25 season and be part of the Smith Entertainment Group (SEG) portfolio. As a Utah Jazz email subscriber, you can place a deposit today to purchase a full- or half-season NHL ticket plan. Placing a deposit will give you priority access to purchase tickets before they go on sale to the general public. Deposits can only be placed online. To place your deposit, visit NHLinUtah.com today!
Old 04-18-2024, 03:47 PM   #633
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yeah I think any future Coyotes ownership group will include Bissonnette and Doan for sure. I do wonder whether part of the issue in AZ was with seemingly latching on with one big businessman instead of a group of them ... Meruelo's financial troubles probably would've been easier to absorb had he just been one of five owners.

I highly doubt it happens under Meruelo but I'd be surprised if we didn't hear something about a consortium of interested people forming in AZ relatively soon, maybe even during Meruelo's five-year window. Especially if he can't win the auction.
Yeah he only paid $300 million for the team, and I'm sure that was levered to the max. The bigger prices now gets you into a different stratosphere of owner hopefully, with more minority partners behind them.

Meanwhile Meruelo has made a killing.

Assuming he put in $30 million of his own money, he will probably clear over $600 million after paying back any loans and absorbing losses the last few years.

What a freaking return.

Remember that the next time an owner says they need taxpayer money.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:52 PM   #634
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Strange to hear Buccigross report that the Jazz owners don't actually plan on building a new arena for the team ... that can't possibly be true?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1781062936502444202

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 03:53 PM   #635
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The pig was kept on life support in Arizona to keep it from moving to Vegas or Seattle before the new owners bought expansion franchises.

I believe it's being allowed to move to Utah now because Utah wasn't on the league's list of desirable expansion markets; just as the Thrashers were allowed to move to Winnipeg because the league never had any intention of selling an expansion team there.

Money talks. The difference between a $200 million relocation fee (as reported for Utah) and a $1 billion expansion fee (rumoured for Atlanta and Houston) talks with a really big amplifier.
Smith was still willing to pay $1.2 billion no matter what you call it. The NHL owners are foregoing $1 billion to extricate themselves from Meruelo.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:57 PM   #636
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1781077789027823671

"Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a Venom."

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 03:59 PM   #637
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Ryan Smith has never spoken directly with Alex Meruelo"

LOL. He doesn't want to buy the franchise, as he doesn't want to inherit any of the liabilities and claims that undoubtedly exist and/or will arise.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:07 PM   #638
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Smith was still willing to pay $1.2 billion no matter what you call it. The NHL owners are foregoing $1 billion to extricate themselves from Meruelo.
They are forgoing it for now - Meruelo has to pay them $1bn to get his new franchise within 5 years. He doesn't just come back for free.

If he does what we all expect and he can't get it together, then he walks away with the money (whatever's left after he pays off debts). The NHL is no further behind (or I guess up $200m), and Ryan Smith is out $1.2bn.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 04:11 PM   #639
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Blizzard, Venom, Fury…

I thought 99% of the suggestions here were terrible and that the eventual name couldn’t possibly be worse. I see now that was misguided.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 04:12 PM   #640
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Strange to hear Buccigross report that the Jazz owners don't actually plan on building a new arena for the team ... that can't possibly be true?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1781062936502444202
I don't understand where Bucci is getting his data from

https://www.ksl.com/article/50936222...ibrant-capital

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...nsion-ballpark

Like they have already approved a lot of it from a tax/state funding perspective.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote