Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2023, 12:58 PM   #621
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Plane filtration is really good while in the air but not good while on the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sure, it's also possible they are a victim of poor information, where someone convinced them the air turnover on planes is so good that it's one of the safest environments.
You guys should fight it out.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 05:22 PM   #622
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
You guys should fight it out.
Then you and I can travel on 'The Money Plane' and place bets!

Its not illegal if it happens in the Sky! Or some such nonsense was the premise of that movie...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 07:19 AM   #623
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Federal figures show only 15 per cent of the population aged five and up had received an updated vaccine by Dec. 3. And while older age groups had higher uptake rates, more than half of higher-risk older adults still hadn't gotten a dose by early December, either.

The shots, tailored to the XBB.1.5 Omicron subvariant, are meant to shore up protection against the SARS-CoV-2 descendants currently circulating.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/just-...064240?cmp=rss

I really don't understand people. It takes 15 minutes to go to a pharmacy and get flu and covid shots. Somehow less than half of people over 70 have got it. Why? And if you have any additional risk factors, why not? And if you just don't like being sick(I see many people bitching in threads here about being sick), then why not do it?

Baffling.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 07:26 AM   #624
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People seem to be worse than ever coming to work sick. Was supposed to go to the filed with the boss in the same truck, long drive, he's getting sick. He's annoyed I said I'm not going. Haven't had more than 2 days off in three years and if I get sick over this break I will snap. Fata him.

Had a Christmas lunch last week, one VP had covid on the Monday and was sitting next to me coughing in my face for the entire lunch, I was fuming, but could not escape.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 07:40 AM   #625
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll just leave this here again:

https://covid-tracker.chi-csm.ca/

Oh and studies are coming out showing continuing to get a covid vaccine is reducing long covid outcomes by 68% so far. I'd hope that number will continue to increase and provide even better prevention.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 09:31 AM   #626
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
People seem to be worse than ever coming to work sick. Was supposed to go to the filed with the boss in the same truck, long drive, he's getting sick. He's annoyed I said I'm not going. Haven't had more than 2 days off in three years and if I get sick over this break I will snap. Fata him.

Had a Christmas lunch last week, one VP had covid on the Monday and was sitting next to me coughing in my face for the entire lunch, I was fuming, but could not escape.
I thought if there was one thing, as a society, we could take away from the whole COVID pandemic, it was that we would use more preventative measures for routine cold/flu. Wear masks if going to the store or a meeting, utilizing zoom and other options, WFH.

Nope. been meeting with clients all week who will say, in person, oh sorry, i have been fighting a cold/flu all week....

thanks
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 09:31 AM   #627
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post

And people, including in this forum, continue with the self diagnosis bs that is 'it's just a cold'.

Oh did you test yourself several times? Well, no but I know it's not covid. Then they continue about their normal routines.

Last edited by chedder; 12-20-2023 at 09:33 AM.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:11 PM   #628
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I thought if there was one thing, as a society, we could take away from the whole COVID pandemic, it was that we would use more preventative measures for routine cold/flu. Wear masks if going to the store or a meeting, utilizing zoom and other options, WFH.

Nope. been meeting with clients all week who will say, in person, oh sorry, i have been fighting a cold/flu all week....

thanks
Some managers are bitching about people electing to WFH because sick vs going into the office (hybrid). They insist people go on or they threaten they'll write up the employee.

Doctors notes do not work and the managers are morons. They can see the individual is sick as #### on the video call but still claim the individuals are taking advantage and manipulating the hybrid working schedule. You'd rather the individual take a sick day than WFH sick? Idiots.

I know quite a few people who are going in and coughing on their managers being dip####s about these rules. "Yes it's been 3 weeks and yes I'm still as sick as a dog! Here's proof COUGH COUGH COUGH!" They could take a sick day. But instead they'll WFH sick if they're responsible, or go to work sick without masks as a form of "#### you".

On a side note, has anyone noticed that this years cold/flu seems to be a little bit heavier in the fatigue and body pain symptoms?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:12 PM   #629
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 weeks is a long time to be out of office though. I'd probably require some sort of documentation that treatments were at least sought for the illness at that point. Partially just to ensure the long-term health and well being of the employee.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:19 PM   #630
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
3 weeks is a long time to be out of office though. I'd probably require some sort of documentation that treatments were at least sought for the illness at that point. Partially just to ensure the long-term health and well being of the employee.
No it's not that they're out of the office for 3 weeks. It's that the symptoms would swing up and down and the individual might WFH an extra day per week (supposed to be in the office 2-3 days of the week, shows up 1-2 days instead) when their chronic bronchitis flares up and they're coughing to the point they are out of breath. The sick note wouldn't do anything but waste time. The employees aren't taking a sick day. They're WFH instead of in the office and their illness symptoms are also easily verifiable over the hours worth of video calls that the manager insists on having.

The manager is apparently a doctor and claiming it's impossible that employees are sick for up to 3 weeks because they themselves are not sick. This even with all the employees in and hacking up a storm in the office. Whatever it is, a bunch of people have chronic bronchitis (or it's a viral load issue) and everyone is coughing. Just whether it's been 3 months or 3 days.

It's not just one manager, I'm hearing stories from friends where quite a few of them roll their eyes at to how many of them have managers like this.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 02:07 PM   #631
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

thanks
If there was one thing I learned through the COVID pandemic its that we, as a society, are incapable of learning.

There were numerous lessons that we should have taken to heart after a year of shutting down the World, but did we learn them? Nope.

Not a goddamned one.

And its not just Convoyers or anti-vaxxers, its Governments, Businesses, society at large, nobody learned.

And thats why its going to happen again.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-22-2023, 02:35 PM   #632
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It really is unbelievable and I have no clue what parents/people are thinking. Twice in the last week we had kids that clearly had stomach bugs come to hockey. First kid showed up, tears in eyes and clearly didn’t want to be there. Dad said the kid yakked the night before, but was feeling better now. Kid lasted one shift. Then at practice a kid shows up that looks like death. He lasted 10 minutes and then urgently needs to run off the ice to yak. I guess he yakked all night and guess who I see at school drop off the next day…same kid, still looking like death, but clearly ready for school.

Now our youngest got the bug last night. We follow the 48 hour quarantine policy with stomach bugs, so if everyone is doing ok, we’ll see if folks are comfortable with us hosting Christmas Eve supper. But if anyone else gets sick, we’ll be cancelling Christmas altogether and do meet ups next weekend.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 03:26 PM   #633
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Flu shot worked like a charm. SO (who did not get the flu shot) got sick from a co-worker. It included fever and nausea so pretty sure if was the seasonal flu and not a cold (tested negative for Covid). She's now on the mend and I'm feeling fine despite living together and sleeping in the same bed.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 07:35 PM   #634
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sick again with Covid or Flu - heard H1N1 is going around right now. Not a nice way to kick off the Christmas break
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 07:39 PM   #635
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do you have the crazy chest cold? I haven’t been this sick since a suspected H1N1 case in 2019, so I was wondering if it is RSV or H1N1. Our daughter’s school has a ton of teacher’s sick too (I believe you’ve said you’re a teacher in the past?) so I think a lot of people are going to have crappy Christmas breaks, sadly.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2023, 07:57 PM   #636
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I posted that in the Random thought thread for some reason.
I have that chest cold and it sucks. Day 7 now and I'd say I can function now without drugs. But definitely not over it yet.

I haven't been this sick since H1N1 in 2008
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:14 PM   #637
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I posted that in the Random thought thread for some reason.
I have that chest cold and it sucks. Day 7 now and I'd say I can function now without drugs. But definitely not over it yet.

I haven't been this sick since H1N1 in 2008
I believe this year's flu strain is H1N1. So that would make sense. It's also in the vaccine for this season, so it should be effective.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:30 PM   #638
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

H1N1 would probably explain it.

Guess I'm paying the price for getting the vaccines a bit too late, just got them last week.

Or maybe it's a super duper vaccine avoiding strain.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM   #639
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I had horrible muscle aches and chills over the last 48 hours. Figured I for sure was coming down with something gnarly but it passed and I feel fine now. False alarm and my antibodies won? That’s what I’d like to think. Vaccine 1 - Flu 0.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:41 PM   #640
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...you're saying that 'Roast Pangolin...Rare' is probably a poor choice for Christmas dinner?

I must alert my 'Pangolin Guy' at once!