Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #621
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

No radar, no lidar... eh, as a radar detector user who isn't buying a Tesla, anything that reduces potential for false alerts is a plus in my books.

Although I still have to question the removal of radar sensors from Tesla's current autopilot system.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:52 PM   #622
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I hope one day we get there, and don't really doubt we will. No one has yet. True AI has been a dream for decades. I'd predict companies that integrate many sensor inputs will make do without true AI and have the most competent systems. When will we get AI like Musk says we will need? Who knows. I'm not convinced he does either.
I am not really convinced. I think we'll probably have flying cars before that, and then paths along the z-axis open everything up to where you only need to worry about collisions, not staying on roads or navigating turns without hitting pedestrians.

That said, I don't know if they have the ethics worked out. Impending accident - does it allow the occupant of the car to be killed in order to save another life(s)? I am kind of curious how they would solve that. Does 85 year old occupant and car drive off a bridge if it means avoiding a collision with a 35 year old man?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #623
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
No radar, no lidar... eh, as a radar detector user who isn't buying a Tesla, anything that reduces potential for false alerts is a plus in my books.

Although I still have to question the removal of radar sensors from Tesla's current autopilot system.
I think he's just saving face with supply chain problems. Can't acquire the hardware, so says it's better without it and tries to sell the absence of it as a feature.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #624
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

He must be, because suggesting that the current road system is designed to be interpreted by 'brains with eyes' is why we only need 'real AI' (only!) and cameras to properly navigate it is ridiculous. If all we're doing is meeting the bar of 'human drivers' then what the hell is the point, we already have those. If humans had the added context of radar or lidar information, we'd be able to make faster and better informed decisions on the road.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #625
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think he's just saving face with supply chain problems. Can't acquire the hardware, so says it's better without it and tries to sell the absence of it as a feature.
No, this has been his strategy for years. Vision only, because it's cheap, and humans can do it. I think he underestimated the "thinking" abilities required, but as they cycle through these betas finding endless edge cases that require thinking to solve, they are comnig to the realization this is really really hard.

When you look at it in the context of his promises, you can see he thought this would be a lot easier. This most recent tweet is just an acknowledgment of how big the challenge is. Eight years of "coming next year."

https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-promi...-th-1848432496

I think he made a pretty major mistake, because I think you can do self driving without real AI with enough good inputs.

He is going to be forced to either release some mediocre product, or admit it's going to take a long time and refund millions in self driving packages he sold that the owner never received, and can't receive. I see it as a pretty massive liability hanging over them, which is why he has to keep convincing us they can make it work. But convincing regulators is going to be a hell of a lot harder than convincing Tesla-stans.

Watching the newest builds, it's still incredibly unsafe, and easily confused, and requires drivers to be at the ready constantly to take over. This is for city driving, it seems to be pretty good on highways and roads.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #626
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
No I think it's cost cutting as far as I know no automakers have been removing radar sensors nor have I heard of a shortage. Autopilot has been worse without them as well. They also removed power lumbar support for the passenger seat and homekit as well. Really the Model 3 & Y are strippers compared to equivalently prices vehicles as well as other EV's.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #627
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happened across this video which is in Calgary with the newest "FSD" beta in the snow. I wish it was a longer video with more scenarios, but what is there is not good. Best to skip to 1:45(stopped way back from the line) and watch the Tesla sketch out and try to smash things(2:50, 4:00). I thought they were further along than this...
Old 04-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #628
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Happened across this video which is in Calgary with the newest "FSD" beta in the snow. I wish it was a longer video with more scenarios, but what is there is not good. Best to skip to 1:45(stopped way back from the line) and watch the Tesla sketch out and try to smash things(2:50, 4:00). I thought they were further along than this...
That is horrendously bad. If the guy wasn't gripping the wheel he would have smashed into several vehicles or curbs.

On a side note, what an ugly interior.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #629
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
That is horrendously bad. If the guy wasn't gripping the wheel he would have smashed into several vehicles or curbs.

On a side note, what an ugly interior.

It's like driving an Ipad, I couldn't stand it.

I've really disliked Musk for years and wouldn't support his company, so I'm happy to see the other EVs come out. I wouldn't buy one anytime soon myself, I know it's likely just a matter of time.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:29 PM   #630
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
It's like driving an Ipad, I couldn't stand it.

I've really disliked Musk for years and wouldn't support his company, so I'm happy to see the other EVs come out. I wouldn't buy one anytime soon myself, I know it's likely just a matter of time.
My thoughts exactly. That hyundai looks pretty nice. Also, the mustang Mach e. There will be lots of non-tesla choices very soon.

I will definitely have one ev before 5 years from now. I'll have to keep the f150 for camping, hauling, long distances etc for the foreseeable future unless tech changes faster than I think.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:32 PM   #631
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My human eyes can barely make out the lines on the road in many winter conditions and I have to imagine my lane by using a ton of situational factors, years of driving experience, and intuition/prediction.

Tesla vision FSD is fine if you live in California but no where in Canada.

I can't believe people are paying $10K for the self driving packages or the monthly license fee to use the betas. Seems like a big scam.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:03 PM   #632
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I can't believe people are paying $10K for the self driving packages or the monthly license fee to use the betas. Seems like a big scam.
I can't believe there haven't been lawsuits yet as its obviously a big scam.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CASe333 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 06:41 AM   #633
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
I can't believe there haven't been lawsuits yet as its obviously a big scam.
I assume that Tesla has fine print in the agreement that makes a lawsuit difficult to win. Elon says FSD will be completed by end of 2022 but everyone knows that's not going to happen as they haven't really make much progress. Mercedes beat them to level 3 hands free and I'm surprised investors aren't turning up the heat on Musk.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:07 AM   #634
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I assume that Tesla has fine print in the agreement that makes a lawsuit difficult to win. Elon says FSD will be completed by end of 2022 but everyone knows that's not going to happen as they haven't really make much progress. Mercedes beat them to level 3 hands free and I'm surprised investors aren't turning up the heat on Musk.
Musk has been saying FSD will be done every year since, oh, 2015 or so(ok, 2 years from then).

Quote:
“I think we have all the pieces, and it’s just about refining those pieces, putting them in place, and making sure they work across a huge number of environments—and then we’re done,” Musk told Fortune with assuredness during his commute to SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne, Calif., where he is also CEO. “It’s a much easier problem than people think it is. But it’s not like George Hotz, a one-guy-and-three-months problem. You know, it’s more like, thousands of people for two years.”
https://fortune.com/2015/12/21/elon-musk-interview/

Quote:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said on Saturday that making a self-driving car was harder than he expected, after the company's timeline for its latest Full Self-Driving (FSD) software slipped again.

Self-driving was a "hard problem" that "requires solving a large part of real-world AI," Musk tweeted.

"Didn't expect it to be so hard, but the difficulty is obvious in retrospect," he said.
https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...s-fsd-9-2021-7

Quote:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been overstating the capabilities of the company’s advanced driver assist system, the company’s director of Autopilot software told the California Department of Motor Vehicles. The comments came from a memo released by legal transparency group PlainSite, which obtained the documents from a public records request.
Quote:
In an earnings call in January(2021), Musk told investors that he was “highly confident the car will be able to drive itself with reliability in excess of human this year.”
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/7/22...d-exaggeration

Meanwhile, he keeps charging more for the feature. I think a lawsuit would be a slam dunk given his history of either lying or being really wrong.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:32 AM   #635
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Musk has been saying FSD will be done every year since, oh, 2015 or so(ok, 2 years from then).

https://fortune.com/2015/12/21/elon-musk-interview/

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...s-fsd-9-2021-7

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/7/22...d-exaggeration

Meanwhile, he keeps charging more for the feature. I think a lawsuit would be a slam dunk given his history of either lying or being really wrong.
The name they chose makes it seem super advanced when its not.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:43 AM   #636
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If that's the case surely an American would have tried if only to capitalize personally as we are talking about a country where people regularly try to sue fast food outlets for hot beverages being too hot and burning them.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:52 AM   #637
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If that's the case surely an American would have tried if only to capitalize personally as we are talking about a country where people regularly try to sue fast food outlets for hot beverages being too hot and burning them.
The only thing I can think of is the only people paying for it are so deep in the Tesla hole they can't admit to themselves, let alone thew world, they were deceived. They think it is happening.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #638
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...stella-liebeck
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #639
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I believe there is provisions that release the owner/driver from suing due to damages as a result of the cars software?

Not sure legality. there was the one guy in SF that was killed when his autopilot put him into a guard rail?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #640
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"It's financially insane to buy anything other than a Tesla," Musk said in April 2019. "If you buy a car that does not have the hardware necessary for full self-driving, it is like buying a horse."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/16/cars/...lay/index.html

I wonder if that will come back to bite him in the ass when they realize camera only FSD is lacking the hardware needed for FSD.