Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 12:05 AM   #6341
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
Looks like the tweet showing McDavid out and about has been taken down. The Oilers way obviously to go after the guy who put the spotlight on the issue instead of ripping into McDavid. Disgusting, like everything else related to the Oilers.
I’m a bit confused with this, did he skip their skills competition? If so, that’s unbelievably weak.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #6342
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yup, he was a last minute scratch due to the flu.

Of course the Oilers and the Edmonton media flooded to his defense, apparently once again he's been fighting the flu for weeks.

I mean it looks shaky when its his birthday last night.

But again, skipping an event like this where there are probably a bunch of kids that were looking forward to it sounds sad.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 12:11 AM   #6343
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, he was absent from the skills comp due to "illness", and was then caught by a photographer while out driving with his girlfriend. Magnificent work.
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 12:22 AM   #6344
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s weak. If you’re feeling good enough to be out driving you’re feeling good enough to go stand on the ice in a dinky skills competition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 12:28 AM   #6345
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm sure there's at least three guys around the organization that regularly camp out in his bushes on off nights with fried chicken hearing how they talk about him.

The lady probably wanted a date day, now don't tell me you wouldn't take that over an Oiler business day. And fans that couldn't afford to see games saved that money for better things than that dancing clown séance's excuse for a "skill" competition.

/savage mode
Old 01-14-2019, 12:30 AM   #6346
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So they didn't announce it before hand or on the PA system, they briefly flashed it on the scoreboard (according to an idiot friend that lives in Edmonton and took his kids to this thing).

So you get your kids excited, get them in the car, buy them a souvenir or two, probably spend about $40 bucks on food and then find out that not only is he not there. But that its not really a skills competition, because for the most part the Oilers don't have skills.

Oh year, I'm pissed, especially if he's out and about.

Like I said, the Oilers announced that he's been fighting the flu for a couple of weeks and still playing at a high level, so they're clearly not worried about him infecting anyone.

I would be asking for a fricken refund.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 12:31 AM   #6347
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup I'd be asking for a refund too. Go to a skills comp and the only one with any skill doesn't show up? F that
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 12:34 AM   #6348
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm sure there's at least three guys around the organization that regularly camp out in his bushes on off nights with fried chicken hearing how they talk about him.

The lady probably wanted a date day, now don't tell me you wouldn't take that over an Oiler business day. And fans that couldn't afford to see games saved that money for better things than that dancing clown séance's excuse for a "skill" competition.

/savage mode
He'll have lots of time for "Date Days" at the end of the regular season.

I know some people who can't afford to go to Flames games, but they take their kids to the skills competition no matter how lame it is because its a fun way for them to see their hockey heroes, and its pretty much the only way that they can afford to see the players live.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 12:41 AM   #6349
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
He'll have lots of time for "Date Days" at the end of the regular season.

I know some people who can't afford to go to Flames games, but they take their kids to the skills competition no matter how lame it is because its a fun way for them to see their hockey heroes, and its pretty much the only way that they can afford to see the players live.
For the kids, that's a fair point. They all deserve to enjoy a glimpse of their hero, as unfortunate as they are to be brought up into..that.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:48 AM   #6350
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do.you dig.up a deleted tweet.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:01 AM   #6351
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
How do.you dig.up a deleted tweet.
Travel back in time and screenshot it
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 03:22 AM   #6352
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Link works for me, I must have a cached version or something.

https://imgur.com/a/2IpRTab
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 03:56 AM   #6353
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

To be fair, McDavid was just starting to get over his bout with freckles, so the "flu" was a double-whammy.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 AM   #6354
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So they didn't announce it before hand or on the PA system, they briefly flashed it on the scoreboard (according to an idiot friend that lives in Edmonton and took his kids to this thing).
I hope your friend isn't on CP?
Old 01-14-2019, 04:14 AM   #6355
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay their GDT for their game today against Buffalo made me laugh

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 05:35 AM   #6356
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow that is no good like really no good. I thought McDavid had smarts but he has no clue how to pull off a fake sickie.

First of all, don't do it on your birthday. Like that is one of the most suspicious days of all. It goes the day after the Super Bowl, the day before a long weekend, and then your birthday. You need to do it on an uneventful Tuesday or Wednesday.

Second, don't do it on skills competition day. We all have those things at work that just need to be done. The big deadline or presentation that no matter how much you are over your job you just need to be there. For McDavid that thing was the skills comp. Miss a practice or a game against Florida, no big deal. Letting down the kids though, not cool.

Finally, and most important of all, do not get caught! For the average worker this means do not go anywhere near work or to any event where you may end up on camera. For McDavid, the king of Mulletville, this means don't go out at all. Stay inside, rent a movie, and get some Thai delivered. Not hard. It's not like there is anything fun to do in Losertown anyways.

Pick up your game McDavid. You may have the crossovers down pat but when it comes to getting away with a fake sick day you have a lot of learning to do.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #6357
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait to hear the excuses lol
Old 01-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #6358
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oiler fans have a history of turning on players and running them out of town. Could this be the beginning of the end for McLotteryball in Edmonton?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #6359
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
I hope your friend isn't on CP?

Nope, and he knows I call him an idiot for being an Oilers fan . . . he knows too well.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #6360
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Oiler fans have a history of turning on players and running them out of town. Could this be the beginning of the end for McLotteryball in Edmonton?

Just read the Edmonton HF Forums.... and they are wrong there. They think we are taking issues with the fact that McDavid is somehow "bad" because he missed the skills competition. They rightfully point out some issues with the evidence and the origins of the photograph (like when it was taken, no proof on the actual day). Some posters here are commenting on that, true, but so many here have pointed out (direct or indirectly)... this "bad" McDavid is not the real issue, the more pressing issue is why did McDavid do this (if true), what is the underlining issues with him, because I think we all know here and there - that this is just not like him - so something is up and something has changed.

I think McDavid is just not engaged anymore - he has lost hope, and if you're right, he is in fact going to lose some fan support because of it. He is starting to want out of Edmonton, and by doing things like this, it will just make it easier for him to do so. Remember, it's not his fault that the lottery balls screwed him and that Edmonton drafted him, it is his fault that he signed for so long though - but that was just 1error. He is also just 22, that's not very old, and he is going to make mistakes like we all did back when we were that age.

This is the start of the end of McDavid in Edmonton... he is celebrity, would you want to be a celebrity in Edmonton if you thought your talents were being wasted and you had no chance of winning? Would you not rather be a celebrity in a more vibrant city like Las Vegas, Nashville, or Los Angeles if you couldn't win... I mean, if he was winning, it would make Edmonton more palatable - but he's quickly coming to his own realization that he'll never win in Edmonton and that the Oilers are just NO GOOD.

I don't think even just one year ago, or even at the start of this season for that matter, that Conner would have ever even thought about missing the skills competition... something has changed with him, and it's ALL bad for Edmonton fans.
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread