Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2023, 01:23 PM   #6341
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

we get, lots of folks want to ignore queer people exist.

like, rainbow capitalism sucks a lot. It's cynical and I hate it.

BUT when you're complaining about a two second same sex kiss in Buzz Lightyear, or having to answer questions from your kids about a movie etc. You're not the ally you think you are.
*A queer person walking down the street*
Random Person: ugh stop forcing your values on me by existing
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast

Last edited by Yeah_Baby; 06-02-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:38 PM   #6342
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
my point wasn't that they are asking questions in the first place, more the timing thereof that inevitably blows up. But you're right, movies likely are a decent time and context to have them that could be true too when I think about it.
it's way worse to have a spouse who misses half the show because they're on their phone, constantly interrupting to ask what the heck is going on.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:47 PM   #6343
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
lets stick with Strange World for the example. There was nothing forced or shoved in anyone's face about sexuality. You brought your own baggage to the movie and that's what might have cause your issues watching it.

I think it's great that we get to see different types of people have totally normal every day relationships, instead of demonizing or hiding away people that actually are no different than you or me. The execution of the character was fine.

We watched it with my kid and you know what? She didn't ask a thing. She just accepted it as normal that someone would have a cute crush on another person. it wasn't straight or gay it was just the characters on the screen. Ethan was a good character and she liked him, thought he was cool and was happy when later in the show he got to share the new world with his bf.

Then again we've addressed things throughout her childhood and explained them, and if she still has questions, pause what we're doing and discuss them again. queer people are not some boogeyman to hide her from.

We've gone to drag story time also, and know what she learned there? That adults reading books to kids is cool as she loves books. She also learned that guys can also dress fabulous.
Yeah, in my experience it's only adults who are freaked about rainbow content. Kids don't care. A friend's/partners five year old recently informed me that when he grows up he's planning to move in with two of his kindergarten friends (a boy and a girl) and that they'll all be having babies together. He's also going to be an inventor and a wizard. Then he started explaining different train types and informed me that there are videos about "every train" on YouTube, and then we watched videos of trains arriving in stations. Me kissing his mom was not nearly as interesting, even though as far as anyone knows, no one had told this kid that his parents are poly, nor should there have been any reason for him to know. The adults were all expecting a conversation, which just never happened. All the play they'd come in the kindergarten was just something they'd come up on their own.

So yeah, I'm openly poly. (Well, "a relationship anarchist", but you don't care about the specific terminology I'm guessing.) When my daughter was younger in school, I asked her a couple of times if she has questions about that, or if any of her friends have asked about it. "No."

This has basically been the same experience with all my "non-standard" friends with kids. If you don't make it weird yourself, it's not weird for the kids. To them, it's all just adults being adults. All our relationship stuff is pretty equally weird to them, and it's all less interesting than kittens and dinosaurs and trains and basically anything else in Disney movies. There are no bigoted 5 year olds. They also do not have any difficulty understanding that their friends mom has a girlfriend.

If you're not taught that there's only one "normal" relationship, you just won't see what's the big deal is, and this is really what the conservatives are afraid of; normalization.

It's not that they're afraid the kids will freak out if they see queer content. They're afraid that the kids will NOT freak out, that if you expose them to the variety of humanity at a young age, they'll just accept it, because that's how kids work.

Last edited by Itse; 06-02-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 03:03 PM   #6344
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like the most controversial Disney film since 'Snow White.'

I'd never even heard of it.

Think about it though...no chicks around (until Snow White shows up), bunch of hard working dwarfs, all living together...everyone has needs...and I'd bet at that point the 'self-gratification' industry was in its infancy...lots of buffering.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:05 PM   #6345
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the topic of movies, Emily The Criminal starring Aubrey Plaza was quite good. It's an atypical depiction of crime, neither gritty nor banal, nor glamorized. Quite interesting, with a decent amount of suspense, even if the director seemingly asked Plaza to do a pretty one-note performance. Would recommend if you like realistic crime drama. (Very little violence for the genre.)

Ghosted was not very good. It's a perfectly passable story, but the casting was just way off. There was no chemistry between the two leads, but they were also both kind of miscast for the roles. Neither Chris Evans nor Ana de Armas had the comical chops necessary for the kind of banter this movie had. He also looked way too competent in the fight scenes for his character, and she couldn't really pull of the toughness her character needed. Would not recommend.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 03:11 PM   #6346
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Every parent might feel different topics be introduced to their kids at different times. But that’s not disneys fault. They can and should continue to make movies about diverse subjects and characters.

As a parent, you can just not watch those movies with your kids.

I don’t think there’s much philosophy involved either. Explaining that some people are gay isn’t complicated.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 04:40 PM   #6347
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for representation of varying sexual orientations in Disney content, I'd argue there is still a ways to go. They've kind of only taken baby steps towards normalizing it (maybe being careful not to alienate the swathes of US christian consumers). Meanwhile they've gone a little overboard on the racial representation front to where it feels like overcompensation after a century of white characters in leading roles (and even toning it down in stories like Aladdin and Pocahontas where there wasn't so much as an accent to be found).

Just do either where it fits the script. The idea is to treat diversity and sexual orientation like it is already normalized, and not where you're overthinking it, avoiding it, or makes a huge deal out of shoehorning it where it doesn't work.

This doesn't have to be that hard.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 06-02-2023 at 04:44 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:02 PM   #6348
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

When has sex, race, gender, or sexual orientation not "fit the script"?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:26 PM   #6349
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

When there is a social context/location/time period where the protagonist somehow has one person from every corner of the globe in their close friend group. A story set in a modern time in western society, you would believe that. In various other times and places, not so much. That agenda doesn't always suit the story/fit the script. But I suppose Disney also has never been one to shoot for historical or cultural accuracy, either.

For me, that believability factor plays into how well I'm able to immerse myself into a story. Maybe that's why Disney hasn't traditionally been my cup of tea (I also like my violence and obscenities).

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 06-02-2023 at 11:05 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:25 PM   #6350
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
When there is a social context/location/time period where the protagonist somehow has one person from every corner of the globe in their close friend group. A story set in a modern time in western society, you would believe that. In various other times and places, not so much. That agenda doesn't always suit the story/fit the script. But I suppose Disney also has never been one shoot for historical or cultural accuracy, either.

For me, that believability factor plays into how well I'm able to immerse myself into a story. Maybe that's why Disney hasn't traditionally been my cup of tea (I also like my violence and obscenities).
What specifically? I can't think of anything off the top of my head where a period story by Disney incorrectly gratuitously portrayed diversity.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 06-02-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:47 AM   #6351
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I just saw Blackberry, and thought it was actually great.

The director Matt Johnson (also plays one of the founders) has such a kinetic energy to his style that really worked for this movie. It's what I think they tried to pull off with the Tetris movie but I don't think it worked as well.

Jay Baruchel and Glenn Howerton are both great in it too.
I really enjoyed the interactions with Balsillie and Gary Bettman / the NHL.

It also made me miss my Blackberry Bold.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2023, 01:27 PM   #6352
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Across the Spiderverse today with my boy. I can't say enough good things about the animation style of these films. This was probably even a step up from the last one. Good story, and great imagination to create all the different spiderpeople, but also their individual drawing style.

Just as a heads up,
Spoiler!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2023, 05:27 PM   #6353
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Across the Spiderverse is my favorite Spider-Man film since Spider-Man 2
Old 06-03-2023, 08:23 PM   #6354
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Went to see Bones of Crows last night, Canadian film directed by a female Canadian indigenous director about a family's history surviving, succumbing to the residential school system and how it affected their lives as adults.

One thing I can appreciate is how the film addresses how these children were malnourished, hungry and never fed properly. Many died of disease or when trying to escape to get back home to their parents. I feel that sometimes gets forgotten when it's hard not to focus on priests raping and impregnating children.

The residential school scenes were filmed in Kamloops, right around the time the unmarked graves were discovered. This is a powerful movie, there is an onscreen warning that this might be difficult to survivors of the residential school system and they give a number to call if you need to talk to someone.

As a film it's shot incredibly well and looks great, you can't fault the acting but it's not on par with some of the best work that's been captured by directors like Scorsese, Nolan, PT Anderson, etc. Basically, I felt as though the story was there, all the elements were there and this could have been incredible with better directing and tightening up the dialogue. In a way that's not really a criticism because it's a Canadian film and I immediately judged how it measured up to some of the best films ever made.

The screen went dark, the credits began to roll and I quickly walked out so no one would see me crying. I'm sure there were a few people wondering why there was a grown man with tears in his eyes walking past while they were walking into Fast X.

Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 01:16 PM   #6355
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had movie night with my nieces the other night and they wanted to watch a Netflix movie called Mathilda (based on a musical that was based on a story by Ronald Dahl)

Was really impressed with it. The musical numbers (after the first intro) were really impressive, and the storyline had that kind of Pixar feel where there were many deeper themes for adults (buried into the children’s content).

Might even watch it again without my nieces, that’s how good I found it to be
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:18 PM   #6356
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Watched a great movie called "Vengeance" last night. I have to say I was surprised at how good it was. Directed by, written by and starring BJ Novak. It started out as a bit of a comedy and turned into a very dramatic movie with a lot of commentary on polarization in the USA along with how we consume media. Funny, touching, interesting and less than 2 hours long!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 11:09 PM   #6357
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're looking for a fun cheesy bad 80s horror movie then look no further than Death Spa. The owner's wife of a hip hi-tech 80s gym dies and then comes back alive and haunts the gym. It's hilarious and such a fun time, would pair nicely with Chopping Mall for a great double feature.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 12:03 AM   #6358
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Across the Spider-Verse is one of the best movies ever made.

This series is a feat in storytelling and animation.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:08 AM   #6359
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I just saw Blackberry, and thought it was actually great.

The director Matt Johnson (also plays one of the founders) has such a kinetic energy to his style that really worked for this movie. It's what I think they tried to pull off with the Tetris movie but I don't think it worked as well.

Jay Baruchel and Glenn Howerton are both great in it too.
I really enjoyed the interactions with Balsillie and Gary Bettman / the NHL.

It also made me miss my Blackberry Bold.
My only Blackberry was the Storm, I got a kick out the way the movie says it was developed.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:52 AM   #6360
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
On the topic of movies, Emily The Criminal starring Aubrey Plaza was quite good. It's an atypical depiction of crime, neither gritty nor banal, nor glamorized. Quite interesting, with a decent amount of suspense, even if the director seemingly asked Plaza to do a pretty one-note performance. Would recommend if you like realistic crime drama. (Very little violence for the genre.)
I thought Plaza was quite good but the movie was a bit better than ok. I appreciated the underlying message of how difficult it is for young people to get ahead professionally.

Spoiler!
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote