Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #6321
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
There is no doubt we could use a big bodied RHed winger who can play in the top 6, I don’t know why anyone would not be interested in adding one.

Both those guys would have checked that box.
I really hate saying this. I really do. But there is a big bodied rw in Vancouver on the outs with his coach. And he makes the same amount as Bennett. And he doesn’t have to quarantine. It’s gotten to that point. Does Bennett for virtanen help both clubs? Calgary gets that big bodied rw that has been so elusive and jimbo moves out a distraction in exchange for a meat and potatoes player that he and the coach like.

Not quite a laine/Dubois fit but it does line up similar.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #6322
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Or Josh Anderson - Calgary was reported to be interested there.

With both guys there sure were a lot of naysayers here though.
I do wonder based on reading some of the Dubois thread if there wasn’t an absolute blockbuster being discussed with the Jackets that would have sent Monahan and Gaudreau to Columbus for Dubois and Anderson?

Would have been right out of the playbook for both GM’s. Jarmo gets the bigger names, Treliving gets the RFA’s.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #6323
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
There is no doubt we could use a big bodied RHed winger who can play in the top 6, I don’t know why anyone would not be interested in adding one.

Both those guys would have checked that box.
Lots of people looked at his stats and said the price and his contract were crazy. I think it’s now clear that was wrong.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:54 AM   #6324
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought Anderson would do well elsewhere, but the acquisition cost was what kept me sour on him- rightfully so IMO. He has played really well so far but he was very expensive.

Meanwhile, Toffoli was very cheap to acquire via trade from LA and "free" in free agency.

If we could have moved Bennett and Ryan during the summer then we could fit Toffoli and a Ryan replacement on the 4th line C. Thinking it required a magical Lucic trade is not being imaginative. It just required not ridiculously hanging on to Bennett hoping in vain that he produces for once.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #6325
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
I really hate saying this. I really do. But there is a big bodied rw in Vancouver on the outs with his coach. And he makes the same amount as Bennett. And he doesn’t have to quarantine. It’s gotten to that point. Does Bennett for virtanen help both clubs? Calgary gets that big bodied rw that has been so elusive and jimbo moves out a distraction in exchange for a meat and potatoes player that he and the coach like.

Not quite a laine/Dubois fit but it does line up similar.
Doesn't really address anything, it's just a swap of similar players with similar gaps in their games (basically lack of hockey IQ).
Old 01-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #6326
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I always thought Anderson would do well elsewhere, but the acquisition cost was what kept me sour on him- rightfully so IMO. He has played really well so far but he was very expensive.

Meanwhile, Toffoli was very cheap to acquire via trade from LA and "free" in free agency.

If we could have moved Bennett and Ryan during the summer then we could fit Toffoli and a Ryan replacement on the 4th line C. Thinking it required a magical Lucic trade is not being imaginative. It just required not ridiculously hanging on to Bennett hoping in vain that he produces for once.
People need to realize UFAs get to choose their team
Old 01-29-2021, 12:00 PM   #6327
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of people looked at his stats and said the price and his contract were crazy. I think it’s now clear that was wrong.

Based off of the first 7 games of his 7 year contract? Where over 70% of his games have been against the struggling canucks and Oilers?

There are way too many conclusions being drawn based off a small sample. Even more so considering there was a shortened training camp and 0 exhibition games.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #6328
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
People need to realize UFAs get to choose their team
Toffoli reportedly wanted to stay in Western Canada but Vancouver wasn't offering him enough in time. I dont think that's the case in this scenario. The case here is that we didn't ship out players to try and fit him, like vegas consistently does.

Let's take a gander at who's on top of the league right now...
Old 01-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #6329
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Based off of the first 7 games of his 7 year contract? Where over 70% of his games have been against the struggling canucks and Oilers?

There are way too many conclusions being drawn based off a small sample. Even more so considering there was a shortened training camp and 0 exhibition games.
Based on how I’ve seen him play.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #6330
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would trade Bennett for Virtanen. Easy.

370 63 66 129

288 51 45 96

Virtanen's pace is way better than Bennett's at the NHL level and he's two months younger.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #6331
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

370 63 66 129

288 51 45 96

Virtanen's pace is way better than Bennett's at the NHL level and he's two months younger.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #6332
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The acquisition cost for Anderson was essentially a 3rd round pick, aside from that the teams just swapped unsigned RFAs.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:09 PM   #6333
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The acquisition cost for Anderson was essentially a 3rd round pick, aside from that the teams just swapped unsigned RFAs.
We did not have a comparable RFA to send so that would have been problematic.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:11 PM   #6334
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

370 63 66 129

288 51 45 96

Yeah, I know Virtanen has issues, many similar to Bennett. But positionally and skill-wise he checks a couple boxes whereas Bennett doesn’t for me. Big body, fast and a nice shot from the RW position. Put him with a guy whose hockey IQ makes up the gap and you might have something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 12:13 PM   #6335
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We did not have a comparable RFA to send so that would have been problematic.
That’s true. Rasmus was the only pending RFA of note and he got signed in January 2020.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #6336
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol really?
Old 01-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #6337
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lol really?
Well, how else do you describe it. Signing rights for Domi and signing rights for Anderson were essentially a wash. And the Habs then added a 3rd.

Then they signed Anderson to a way richer contract than Domi, of course.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:17 PM   #6338
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think that Anderson contract will be horrendous though.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #6339
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I still think that Anderson contract will be horrendous though.
It depends on the cap in 4 years or so. It’s somewhat of a risk, but $5.5 might be a below average contract for a second liner by then.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #6340
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toffoli > anderson. Contract value and ultimately player imo.
Closed Thread