Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #6301
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Yikes, I just googled it and found this

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...lved-in-canada

Somewhere in the range of 50-80 million tonnes of LNG egress per year has been mothballed over the last decade. I'm sure there's a lot of overlap in capacities with the 3 or 4 different projects listed, but that's a LOT of money. Asian LNG is around 6.8 $/mmBTU (lhv) or 318 $/ton USD. US LNG is around 1/3 that price if I am reading things correctly.

That's an outrageous amount of revenue and missed royalties, even taken on the low end of the scale.
Quote:
Analysis from the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers put the combined costs of pipelining B.C. gas from the Montney and Horn River formations to the coast, liquefaction, and shipping to Asia at between $8 and $10 per GJ of gas shipped, and that’s before you’ve paid anything for the gas.
https://www.macleans.ca/economy/econ...n-b-c-s-coast/

The thing with LNG is that it really expensive. Obviously that's not an issue when gas prices are high like they are right now, but don't forget gas prices were a record low last year.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #6302
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

At least the LNG Canada project is getting built which will provide a major outlet for Western Canadian gas. The first phase pulls about 2 bcf/d out of the Montney by 2025 and it's likely they will expand it to a second phase that will bring that up to about 5 bcf/d. For reference, production out of Western Canada is something like 15 bcf/d, so it's a big increase.
Unfortunately the pipeline that is being built for the project (Coastal GasLink) has had multiple issues with indigenous protests and construction costs. While it will certainly get finished, it sets a precedent that will likely scare away any future pipeline proposals across BC, so unlikely that we see other LNG projects getting positive FIDs.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:58 AM   #6303
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Wasn't Petronas going to build some giant LNG terminal in Prince Rupert or something?

I don't recall exactly what happened, only that I knew someone that was offered a job on their legal team and they walked when the project was shelved. That was over 10 years ago so I might not be remembering correctly.
It was going to be a massive project. There were some legitimate environmental concerns regarding sea grass (which acts as a fish hatchery) and the impact of the tankers on the local marine wildlife. The other big factor was one indigenous family that was violently opposing the project, going so far as to put a temporary building on an inhabitable rock on the jobsite to claim as their ancestral home and occasionally attacking the marine geotech surveyors boats with grappling hooks. When the Canadian government continued to be wishy-washy about the project it seems like Petronas decided it wasn't worth the trouble.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:24 AM   #6304
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
When the Canadian government continued to be wishy-washy about the project it seems like Petronas decided it wasn't worth the trouble.
Hard to blame them for that. Their shareholders probably prefer they not dump billions into trying to get approval that never comes, which based in the recent history of energy projects in Canada....
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #6305
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I note that Petronas joined the LNG Canada consortium after the failed Prince Rupert project. It was likely inevitable that some of the projects wouldn't achieve lift-off, but for all of them, other than LNG Canada, to grind to a halt is embarrassing.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #6306
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dow bullish on Alberta with a major new investment in a net-zero carbon emission ethylene complex. First complex of its kind in the world.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301393405.html

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/10/0...term=dow%20ceo
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #6307
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Dow bullish on Alberta with a major new investment in a net-zero carbon emission ethylene complex. First complex of its kind in the world.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301393405.html

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/10/0...term=dow%20ceo
This is where the next 30 years of work comes from. Having these early projects happening in Alberta is extremely bullish for our economy. If we can build out the CCS and Hydrogen expertise here there's no reason the downtown can't fill up again.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 03:54 AM   #6308
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

ATCO is planning on putting 20% hydrogen into their sales network short term and wants to get to 100% long term.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #6309
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
This is where the next 30 years of work comes from. Having these early projects happening in Alberta is extremely bullish for our economy. If we can build out the CCS and Hydrogen expertise here there's no reason the downtown can't fill up again.
My only concern is the world ditching blue hydrogen for green hydrogen.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5951584
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #6310
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

WTI above $80/bbl and rising. NYMEX natural gas at $5.50/MMBtu heading into winter. WCS differential hovering around $12/bbl with Line 3 just brought into service. Things haven't looked this good in years for the producers, and likely the best ever from a profitability standpoint.

The days of oil sands mega projects may be gone but the money rolling in is starting to feel like boom times again. When will we start to see this impact wages, real estate, and ancillary business in the city?
The Following User Says Thank You to Brewmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #6311
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
My only concern is the world ditching blue hydrogen for green hydrogen.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5951584
Our current energy crisis is a warning to listening to zealots like David Suzuki over pragmatism.

Green Hydrogen is great but impractical. How does a company make money when their inputs rely on the wind blowing and sun shining all the time?

I see Blue as a viable way forward to address climate and maintain the economy.

Not saying I don’t share your worry when the Trudeau’s of the world are maintaining power. CERB for everyone!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #6312
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Our current energy crisis is a warning to listening to zealots like David Suzuki over pragmatism.

Green Hydrogen is great but impractical. How does a company make money when their inputs rely on the wind blowing and sun shining all the time?

I see Blue as a viable way forward to address climate and maintain the economy.

Not saying I don’t share your worry when the Trudeau’s of the world are maintaining power. CERB for everyone!
Dude, I totally agree with you.

The world has gone crazy though.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #6313
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
WTI above $80/bbl and rising. NYMEX natural gas at $5.50/MMBtu heading into winter. WCS differential hovering around $12/bbl with Line 3 just brought into service. Things haven't looked this good in years for the producers, and likely the best ever from a profitability standpoint.

The days of oil sands mega projects may be gone but the money rolling in is starting to feel like boom times again. When will we start to see this impact wages, real estate, and ancillary business in the city?
I know the boom times don't mean necessarily all the jobs coming back anymore. But are companies hiring some people? That's when you'll see the spin off effects locally, not just windfall profits.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #6314
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I know the boom times don't mean necessarily all the jobs coming back anymore. But are companies hiring some people? That's when you'll see the spin off effects locally, not just windfall profits.
We’re hiring more field staff to take on the increased volume of work but our company is holding the line on office hiring as much as possible. Which sucks because our workload is out of control now. Big issue from our end is it’s a struggle to raise prices. More work doesn’t equate to higher profit, therefore a reluctance to hire.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:01 PM   #6315
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post

As companies open the purse strings for maintenance and replacement projects I expect we will see a good recovery in overall employment but until/unless there is competition for workers I wouldn't expect higher wages. Without the mega-projects will we see that?

On the plus side this looks like a healthy, mature, and profitable industry for the next while.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #6316
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
There won’t be a large rehire in Calgary when it comes to O&G. Companies have realized they were overstaffed (some hilariously so) and will continue to operate at a lower head count. You will mostly see postings to fill jobs where someone has left to another company. Or performance layoff. Or retirement. Etc.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #6317
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm just assuming that most of the profits will lead to expansion in more energy friendly parts of the world.

There will be an uptick in maintenance and small projects but any real money will continue to be invested outside of Canada for the most part.

On top of that the company I'm working for is trying to outsource as much work as possible, from planning to inspection. The pandemic definitely sped things up in that regard, if you can WFH, it means someone else can do it from India.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:25 PM   #6318
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yup. Have a friend that owns a company on the service side and he said Texas is going bonkers. He's seriously contemplating moving down for a few years.

Last edited by chedder; 10-11-2021 at 05:36 PM.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #6319
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I'm just assuming that most of the profits will lead to expansion in more energy friendly parts of the world.

There will be an uptick in maintenance and small projects but any real money will continue to be invested outside of Canada for the most part.

On top of that the company I'm working for is trying to outsource as much work as possible, from planning to inspection. The pandemic definitely sped things up in that regard, if you can WFH, it means someone else can do it from India.
I'm not so sure this will be the case. Almost all of the major producers here are Canadian companies with little or no global operations outside of the country. Their strategies seem to be to modestly grow production on existing projects while increasing shareholder returns and reducing emissions. The opportunities to do that are in Canada with the TMX pipeline expected to come on in the next couple years and carbon capture and storage projects gaining support.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:12 AM   #6320
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

More projects will be tipped into post payout, that’ll be good to fund up next years More bestest summer ever!
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote