Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #6241
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What about these trades?

Brodie for Kadri
Backlund for Cole+1st
I think both of those are really good trades. Cole could be a bottom pairing guy and Kadri would be amazing with Tkachuck.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #6242
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be so hesitant to move Hamilton though, I see him as being the teams future #1 guy. That being said, that is a really good deal and would be hard to turn down.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #6243
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

can we trade for teams dead money?

Brodie + Kylington for Nylander/Marner + Kessel dead money ($1.2MM for next 4 years)

Backlund for Kryou + 2nd/3rd

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk Marner Frolik
Bennett Jankowski Mangapanie
Hrivik Lazar Hathaway
Stajan

Gio Hamilton
Stone Hamonic
Kulak Anderson
Bartkowski
Old 01-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #6244
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
can we trade for teams dead money?
No, this is not allowed in the current CBA.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #6245
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm sure it could be fleshed out more, but those would be the primary players swapping sides.

Could it could be

CGY:
Nylander
2018 1ST, 2ND

TOR:
Hamilton

Flames recoup picks, get RH sniper they need. Toronto gets a cost controlled top pairing RHD they want
Flames assume the "risk" of signing Nylander long term as it could cost more than Hamilton etc
Just say no to trading Hamilton. He's one of the pieces on the back-end you build around. You want to move Brodie? Good. Great. Grand. WONDERFUL.

...but not Hamilton. Not Hamilton. Not like this...not like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #6246
Bar-Down
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What about these trades?

Brodie for Kadri
Backlund for Cole+1st
Brodie for Hoffman?
Brodie for Pacioretty?
Brodie + for Mark Stone?

This team needs another impact forward.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland/Hoffman
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Hoffman/Ferland
Versteeg - Lazar - Hathaway
Brouwer

Gio-Hamilton
Kulak-Hamonic
Andersson - Stone
Old 01-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #6247
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I think both of those are really good trades. Cole could be a bottom pairing guy and Kadri would be amazing with Tkachuck.
Personally I think Cole would be our second pairing LHD for this season if my fantasy trades went through. That Pitt pick could easily be top 20 which would be huge. Kadri is a great replacement for Backlund and he is younger, signed to a terrific deal, more offensive upside, and plays with an edge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #6248
BigBCalgary
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm amazed at how many people ready to run Brodie out of town. Backlund too for that matter.
Personally I believe it makes more sense long term to trade Giordano. Say to Toronto for Either JVR or Kadri + pics or prospects or both.
I'm sure many teams would love to have him and we seem to have lots of leadership in our group. Love Gio but I believe he's most Valuable now and impending Age and contract make him tops to move out sooner than later IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBCalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #6249
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

True,

but with where this team is trading Gio now would rip their identity to shreds. He's the leader on this team, Brodie is a complimentary piece that most likely is going to be pushed out by Fox/Valimaki in the next few years anyway.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #6250
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Just say no to trading Hamilton. He's one of the pieces on the back-end you build around. You want to move Brodie? Good. Great. Grand. WONDERFUL.

...but not Hamilton. Not Hamilton. Not like this...not like this.
A little Billy Madison with a sprinkle of the Matrix? Very well played sir!
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd Degree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #6251
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBCalgary View Post
I'm amazed at how many people ready to run Brodie out of town. Backlund too for that matter.
Personally I believe it makes more sense long term to trade Giordano. Say to Toronto for Either JVR or Kadri + pics or prospects or both.
I'm sure many teams would love to have him and we seem to have lots of leadership in our group. Love Gio but I believe he's most Valuable now and impending Age and contract make him tops to move out sooner than later IMO.

Gio is arguably the best player on the team. Moving him the way he has played the last 5 seasons would be tough for this team to take. I get the age arguement but Gio is just too good.

If they even want to contemplate it switch Brodie and Gio around for 20 games. Okay Brodie with Hamilton against top competition and Gio and Hamonic as the second pair. My prediction is Gio and Hamonic would elevate to the top pair and Hamonic would be the third defenseman to be part of the “best pair in hockey” with the connection being Gio.

Brodie and Dougie both have struggled mightily on the defensive side of the puck when not paired with Gio
Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #6252
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's more that people recognize you need to give quality to get quality. Gio doesn't have much value for a team like the leafs, because they're not necessarily pushing for the cup this year, and who knows how much longer Gio is realistically going to play up to his contact/current level of play.
If you were proposing trading Gio to a team like Tampa, or Vegas, there would probably be more value to be had because they're good bets to challenge for a cup, and therefore more likely to pay for immediate help.

Gio's contract makes him tough to trade for any real value across the board though, I would imagine.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #6253
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I think it's more that people recognize you need to give quality to get quality. Gio doesn't have much value for a team like the leafs, because they're not necessarily pushing for the cup this year, and who knows how much longer Gio is realistically going to play up to his contact/current level of play.
If you were proposing trading Gio to a team like Tampa, or Vegas, there would probably be more value to be had because they're good bets to challenge for a cup, and therefore more likely to pay for immediate help.

Gio's contract makes him tough to trade for any real value across the board though, I would imagine.
I suppose it depends on if the Leafs want to make a run at the cup while Matthews is still on his ELC. Really they are a defenseman or two from a realistic shot.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #6254
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Not sure where else to post this, but there were some fun stories on the 31 Thoughts podcast today. Listen for yourselves as I likely screwed at least something up.

The much-rumoured three-way deal would have seen the Flames move up to three where they would have taken Jesse Puljujarvi, the Blue Jackets drop to fourth where they would have taken Pierre-Luc Dubois, the Canucks still would have taken Olli Juolevi at five, and the Oilers would have dropped to sixth and taken Mikhail Sergachev or Matthew Tkachuck...but Friedman believes it would have been Sergachev.
(Thank goodness that fell apart, holy ####!)

You can almost get the sense that Treliving was full on pulling his master wizardry here. The Oilers were so so on Puljujarvi at 3, contemplating gaining an asset and moving down and taking Sergachev.

Treliving knows this. He wants Tkachuk and absolutely not Puljujarvi. He doesn't want Edmonton getting Sergachev. He must also keep a team from moving up and taking Tkachuk at 4 leaving us with Puljujarvi at 6.

He knows Columbus is set on PLD at 3 and he knows Benning is clueless as to who the best players are and will take Juolevi at 5. He saw the 8x10s of Juolevi the Canucks were ogling at their draft table.

All he has to do is keep the Oilers at 4.

Step 1: Distract the Oilers with a complicated 3 way deal long enough so they don't have time to go out and move down on a deal with Ari,Buf or Mtl.
Step 2: Convince Columbus to go along and pretend we're seriously trying to move up to #3 to get Puljujarvi.
Step 3: Tell the Oilers that Columbus is grinding us for a strong asset because they want Puljujarvi at #3 too, but would consider PLD at 4.
Step 4: Convince the Oilers that Columbus won't swap 3 & 6 because Vancouver will just take PLD at 5 and then the deal doesn't work for CLB.
Step 5: Delay tactic: Have Conroy tell Chiarelli we're offering them one of either Andersson or Kylington to get them to take part, but he's not sure which one and Treliving will have to call him back.
Step 6: Wait 20 mins.
Step 7: Have Burke call Chiarelli and talk up how great Puljujarvi is and how we have to have him and we'll do anything to keep him from playing on McDavid's wing.
Step 8: Just before the Columbus is on the clock at 3, back out of the fake deal.

Oilers get so convinced that Poolparty is highly sought after. Too late to move down and they sort of don't want to now. How great will it be to skate into the Saddledome with Puljujarvi on McDavid's wing, rubbing it in Treliving's face.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #6255
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This sentiment kills me. Nobody wants to run Brodie out of town. A lot of people are throwing ideas around on how to improve the team, and some of those ideas involve trading Brodie for bigger needs on the roster.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #6256
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hamilton for top RW. Put Brodie back with Gio. Sign Backlund. All is fixed.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #6257
BigBCalgary
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Personally, I'm ready to hand Monahan the "C". I suggested the Leafs mostly because i believe that scenario to be the most plausible. I'm not a Leaf fan and it would pain me to see Gio go there and help their cause, but I believe he would, immensely.
I"m sure there would be many teams lined up for his services and I have faith in our management to wring out the best deal for us.
I was Thinking
Hamilton, Hamonic
Brodie, Stone,
Kulak, Andersson
etc.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #6258
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brodie can go.

Hamilton should stay.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #6259
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Hamilton for top RW. Put Brodie back with Gio. Sign Backlund. All is fixed.
No, all is not fixed, all is as it was when the team wasn't good enough. Hamilton is a heck of a lot better than Brodie, not to say Brodie isn't good but Hamilton is better and younger and is contract controlled longer. Gio and Hamilton are an amazing pair and I wouldn't break them up, I prefer them to Gio-Brodie.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #6260
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames should be weary of trading from a position of weakness and trading struggling players for less than full value.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread