Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2022, 05:01 PM   #6181
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Yeah, Frank was just on with Pat and crushed this optimism a few minutes ago by saying he was optimistic he was returning to Calgary this morning, but not so much as the day went on...
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #6182
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eklund now reporting it is Calgary or Philly but saying 70/30 in favor of Philly. That make put some at ease considering how wrong he typically is
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #6183
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
If he's really dead set on leaving then he would say it - there would be no reason not to. The only reason you want to keep the negotiating power is if you are open to staying.

If he was deadset that he wanted to move to NJ or PHI to be closer to home then the best tactic for Gaudreau would be to tell Treliving that and then try to get the team to work on a sign and trade so he can get an 8 year deal.

Benefits him to get an 8 year deal, benefits the Flames if they can recoup a 2nd or something, benefits the trading team because the cap hit will probably be a bit lower.

But being ambiguous about it and acting like you're on the fence means that you likely actually are leaning towards coming back - but you need to play coy because that's how you can drive your price up. The deadline of the 8 year contract offer, and the threat of Free Agency are your leverage - so you lean into that - but keeping that negotiating power means you actually are open to negotiating to stay here.
Oh I believe he is open to staying here, but I also believe he wants to see what other offers are out there. I think he is hoping Calgary will make an offer that he can't turn down.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #6184
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Eklund now reporting it is Calgary or Philly but saying 70/30 in favor of Philly. That make put some at ease considering how wrong he typically is
He is always saying philly
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:03 PM   #6185
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
When I joined he said he had optimism in the morning but from what his sources are saying he is less so now. He does think Johnny could be paralyzed by this choice.

Pat mentioned $11M pet and Frank said he already thinks that’s on the table.

Sorry I will have to listen again to really get it right
I actually feel sorry for the media during this time and trade deadline, because they are like little puppies running around trying to please their masters, but instead they are being used as pawns in the negotiations.

...I get over it pretty quick though.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:04 PM   #6186
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don’t get why he would want to play for Torts. Doesn’t sound like an ideal location for a Johnny type of player.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #6187
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
I don’t get why he would want to play for Torts. Doesn’t sound like an ideal location for a Johnny type of player.
Torts is a lot like Sutter. You know where you stand with these type of coaches. It’s also you better play the way they say.
kyuss275 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #6188
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy said in an interview that Johnny plays much better for hard-nosed coaches, and was excited when the Flames hired Sutter.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 05:15 PM   #6189
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will losing Johnny to free agency be an even bigger hit to the fanbase than 2004? I feel sick right now, I'm sure everyone here does.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #6190
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't feel sick. I will be disappointed if it happens, but that's about it. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Won't be anything close to 2004 emotionally

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:24 PM   #6191
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We need to stop kidding ourselves that we're a contender. We were very lucky to beat Dallas, the worst team in the playoffs, and then got beaten badly by Edmonton, who didn't do much better in the next round.

We're a feeder team for the big US markets to help them develop talent before they hit a big payday. We should embrace this fact and try to build our roster around young players and not guys like Lucic and Coleman. It makes it too hard to contend when you have to carry those cap hits on your books.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:25 PM   #6192
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
We need to stop kidding ourselves that we're a contender. We were very lucky to beat Dallas, the worst team in the playoffs, and then got beaten badly by Edmonton, who didn't do much better in the next round.

We're a feeder team for the big US markets to help them develop talent before they hit a big payday. We should embrace this fact and try to build our roster around young players and not guys like Lucic and Coleman. It makes it too hard to contend when you have to carry those cap hits on your books.
Why bother watching
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #6193
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with all the sudden hate for Coleman? He's a good player, and a leader with Stanley Cup experience. We'll need guys like him in the playoffs. Ridiculous to me.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #6194
FaFaFlamey
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I will be bummed out but I will look forward to the next chapter. We got worked by the Oilers at our peak.
FaFaFlamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #6195
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
What's with all the sudden hate for Coleman? He's a good player, and a leader with Stanley Cup experience. We'll need guys like him in the playoffs. Ridiculous to me.
There's no hate. He's a fine player. The problem is that we have to pay guys like him $29.4m over six years to get him to come to Calgary. You can't contend when you're paying a player like that $4.9m a year.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:47 PM   #6196
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
There's no hate. He's a fine player. The problem is that we have to pay guys like him $29.4m over six years to get him to come to Calgary. You can't contend when you're paying a player like that $4.9m a year.
He was pretty darn effective in the playoffs. I don’t think that’s true.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 06:04 PM   #6197
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Will losing Johnny to free agency be an even bigger hit to the fanbase than 2004? I feel sick right now, I'm sure everyone here does.
You feel sick right now because Eklund says he is leaning Philly? Come on people, really?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 06:12 PM   #6198
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Posted in error. Opps
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:15 PM   #6199
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

ESPN mentioned Philly signing Gaudreau. Just in passing, but a lot of agreement from their panel.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:16 PM   #6200
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We were not very lucky to beat Dallas. We were by far the better team the entire series, the Flames more than earned that win, so don’t sell it short as luck. Such a Flames fan thing to do, over emphasize the bad and try to discredit the good.

The Flames would have been incredibly unlucky had they lost that series.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win