Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #601
ThatsRobbery
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They didn't have Tkachuk and Monahan because of injury. I forget who else was missing up front - Brouwer?
Backs and Frolik didnt play either
ThatsRobbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #602
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
in the meantime, the Oilers full NHL Roster is getting owned by the Hurricanes right now
Holy frig, how many preseason games are the Oilers playing? Seems like they are playing every night.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #603
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Holy frig, how many preseason games are the Oilers playing? Seems like they are playing every night.
Gotta rack up the preseason points if you're gonna be preseason champs, baby!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #604
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jankowski showed he can make plays against legit NHLers. He was good on draws (don't know the stats-I noticed him drawing puck back but his wingers losing it at least twice) and protected the puck well.

They need to find a spot for him in the top 9.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #605
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
It only seems that way due to the constant McJesus coverage crammed down our throats.....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #606
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Jankowski showed he can make plays against legit NHLers. He was good on draws (don't know the stats-I noticed him drawing puck back but his wingers losing it at least twice) and protected the puck well.

They need to find a spot for him in the top 9.

50% on the night.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #607
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Zyuzin. Eriksson. Butler. Grossmann. Bartkowski.
Sieloff. Wotherspoon. Kulak. Culkin. Ramage. Kanzig.

Pretty sad that after graduating TJ Brodie, the Flames cannot seem to draft and develop even a #6 defenceman. Obviously have some guys coming down the pipe, but c'mon...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #608
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some player reviews:

Jankowski - thought he had a pretty good game and stepped it up a bit in the third period. Showed some nice hands on a nice rush 2 on 2 with Hathaway where he almost scored. Smooth passes in the third and good battles all night.

Foo - I thought he was better tonight than he was in the last game I saw him in. He showed some real speed and good, calm decision making and puck control. Still doubtful that he'll start the year in Calgary, but NHL potential is evident.

Dube - the combination of his intelligence and skating is downright impressive. He picks off passes, catches guys on the backcheck, creates space for himself and others, and has a great shot. Competitive guy too.

Lazar - had some moments tonight. Thought he protected the puck well a few times with his body and his skating looked good. Some questionable decision making like the throwaway shot at the end with Jankowski wide open for a one-timer... not sure about his offensive hockey sense.

Hathaway - thought he looked good on one penalty kill (obviously the PK was not a strength tonight). I think he has enough skill that the physical game he brings should earn him a spot on the team. He's a really good skater and fearless out there. He'd be my 4th line winger.

Lomberg - still works his tail off but he looks a lot less effective against a veteran NHL line up. I think that you see the separation between him and a guy like Dube out there where Dube can still have an impact with the puck because he's so smart.

Gazdic - exactly what I thought he would be. Tried to antagonise Byfuglien all night and scrapped with him briefly. Just not a necessary player to a good hockey team for me though.

Cramarossa - I get the appeal. He can skate well and he battles hard. I prefer Hathaway though.

Poirier - thought he was pretty good actually. Especially considering his camp was interrupted with the injury. He made a few nice plays in tight and showed his speed in some races.

Hrivik - has good speed for a fairly big man. Didn't create a ton out there, but I think he looks like he has some skill and gets the game. I'm doubtful of him making the team though (hopefully his head is okay... took a bad hit from Trouba there)

Bartkowski - hopefully that is the last game I see him play for the Flames

Wotherspoon - just some terrible decisions out there. He had a couple of good defensive plays where he used his body and got the puck off of good players, but I don't think he was able to grab that spot.

Valimaki - thought he looked really young. Little things like trying to chip pucks past guys and having them picked off. I think that tonight had to be a good lesson for him in the difference between true pros and pretenders. Another year of junior and I bet he'll push for a spot next season.

Andersson - thought he looked the best of the young D but still not great. It's interesting to see how he copes with his so-so skating against fast guys... he is very smart with his body positioning and reads plays well. I like him so I am hoping the coaches saw something they liked but he didn't cement his spot.

Kulak - when he gets skating he really can look pretty impressive out there, but had a few brainfarts tonight too. I don't think he looks like he has played well enough that the 6 spot should be his, but I also don't know who has been clearly better.

Lack - most of the goals were on the PP, so he wasn't awful but I'm not sure I would say 'good' either. I'd like to see Rittich and Gillies play again.

The Flames coaching staff didn't look like they were overly concerned with the result. Lots of young guys got a chance to show their stuff on the powerplay and late in the game.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #609
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I did notice some nice plays by Foo without the puck, both defensively and on the forecheck.
Plaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #610
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaedo View Post
I did notice some nice plays by Foo without the puck, both defensively and on the forecheck.
All in all very disappointed in him, but it's early let see how he does on the farm
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #611
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski was 8/16 on faceoffs in the game. Monahan was 10/18.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #612
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski will be a nice addition to the team for next season.

Lack was okay, not good and not bad.

I didn't see enough hustle from Lazar if he was supposed to be fighting for a spot. If he already had a spot, then okay fine but I'm still disappointed.

Foo was a big disappointment, had the best linemates and couldn't help them at all.

On that note; I feel Tkachuk and Monahan seemed to lack speed, especially towards the end of the game. Not totally sold on this combination. Maybe a better linemate would solve that.

Poirier had a positive showing all things considered.

Hathaway I think should make the team.

I like Lomberg as a 13th forward. A guy like that can really help energize the team on otherwise slow nights. I'll be a little surprised if they go with him though.

I feel people have been overly negative on the defensive prospects. I don't think the differences were that huge. I think Bartkowski has a good chance of being at least the 7th forward despite the terrible parts of his game.

Andersson I think has so much potential he might be better off developing on a lower level still. (Same as Välimäki essentially, although Andersson is less out of place at a higher level.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #613
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My notes on the game tonight:

Monahan: looks faster. Incredible hands and awareness. Guy is going to have a big year

Tkachuk: usual feistiness. Looked a little behind the play, but his effort made up for it. Needs to get some more game action to be ready for the year

Jankowski: He’s ready. Quick, good hands, good stick and reach, can contribute at both ends of the ice. He’s not going to put up a ton of points this year, but he’ll probably hit 30.

Foo: Looked rough at the start, but came around and put more effort in as the game went on. He’s got no problem getting physical, but his lack of weight puts him at a disadvantage. Add 10 pounds and he’s an NHLer

Hrivik: Great signing for some depth skill at center. He had great wheels and was solid at both ends of the ice. I’d be totally comfortable calling him up to play if needed. Quite surprising how good he is considering I’d never heard of him before.

Lazar: He looked lost to start, especially on the first goal, but got better as the game went on. He’s one of those guys that will do better the more ice time you give him. He’s a player that needs to feel his way into the game, which explains why a prolonged illness threw his game off so much. IF he plays regularly, he’ll be a good bottom 6 winger.

Hathaway: Good energy, some physicality, but little to no effect on the game.

Poirier: Like others, took a bit of time to feel his way into the game, but had a few shifts where he was after the puck like a dog on a bone. IF he is consistent with that type of play, he can be in the NHL.

Dube: He’s really good. His speed and anticipation for the play make him an ideal checking winger, and he’s got enough offense to finish a play if needed. He reminds me so much of Andrew Cogliano. He’s going to be in the NHL next year.

Cramarossa: Cut him loose. He adds nothing at all.

Lomberg: Love his heart, but he’s not an NHL caliber player. Great leader for Stockton though.

Gazdic: Wow was he bad. I hope he doesn’t have an opportunity to play much for the parent club. He did try to step up in scrums and start a fight, but I need more than that.

Valimaki: He looked overmatched against NHLers tonight. He’s got great tools, and he’s going to be an NHLer, but not this year.

Stone: Looked like a very calm veteran out there. Great gap control, defensive zone play, and good shot from the point. He looks ready for the season to start now.

Bartkowski: Not noticeably terrible. That’s as good as it has been for him in preseason. Still, not a guy I’m fond of.

Andersson: I loved his ability to be all over the ice trying to make a difference. He’s solid enough that he could be in the NHL right now and I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. If he were a lefty he would have the #6 spot guaranteed.

Kulak: Had a few moments where he looked competent, even good, but still some egregious turnovers, was outmatched physically, and was lucky he didn’t have more goals go in while he was on the ice. He was about 50/50 good and bad tonight. Not enough to earn the #6 spot.

Wotherspoon: Looked ok to start, but got steadily worse as the game went on. Poor zone exits, lots of turnovers, and just a general lack of enthusiasm. I think his potential as an NHLer is pretty much done.

Lack: Looked just a tad slow, but I can’t fault him on any of the goals, especially Laine's. Lack will be having nightmares featuring Laine tonight. Made the saves he was supposed to, which is what you need from a backup. Rebound control could have been a little better.

Oh, and I hope that Gulutzan is going to work a LOT on the penalty kill over the next few days. That was a pitiful display tonight.

Trouba can go suck a bag of dicks. That was a dirty hit on Hrivik after a dump in. Jesus man, it’s pre-season and you've already made the team there hot shot. You don’t have to finish high on a guy who’s dumping the puck in. Just let it go. What a dirty POS. I hope he gets his clock cleaned the next time we play the Jets.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #614
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Jankowski was 8/16 on faceoffs in the game. Monahan was 10/18.
On one against Schiefele he shot it forward as there was 3 secs on their PP and the puck split the two D and killed it off.

Two others he drew puck back but WPG jumped in front and got possession (I think they count those as loses).

To me he won more than lost.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #615
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They didn't have Tkachuk and Monahan because of injury. I forget who else was missing up front - Brouwer?
Against Van they were missing (F)

Gaudreau
Ferland
Monahan
Tkachuk
Bennett
Brouwer

The whole top 4 D as well
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #616
erikk3
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Couldn't watch this game but sounds like it didn't go too well, so here's some good. OOT news. Draisaitl is -3 right now!!

Edit: didn't mean to quote
erikk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #617
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Jankowski will be a nice addition to the team for next season.

Lack was okay, not good and not bad.

I didn't see enough hustle from Lazar if he was supposed to be fighting for a spot. If he already had a spot, then okay fine but I'm still disappointed.

Foo was a big disappointment, had the best linemates and couldn't help them at all.

On that note; I feel Tkachuk and Monahan seemed to lack speed, especially towards the end of the game. Not totally sold on this combination. Maybe a better linemate would solve that.

Poirier had a positive showing all things considered.

Hathaway I think should make the team.

I like Lomberg as a 13th forward. A guy like that can really help energize the team on otherwise slow nights. I'll be a little surprised if they go with him though.

I feel people have been overly negative on the defensive prospects. I don't think the differences were that huge. I think Bartkowski has a good chance of being at least the 7th forward despite the terrible parts of his game.

Andersson I think has so much potential he might be better off developing on a lower level still. (Same as Välimäki essentially, although Andersson is less out of place at a higher level.)
Janko next season? Umm no this season
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #618
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Hrivik: Great signing for some depth skill at center. He had great wheels and was solid at both ends of the ice. I’d be totally comfortable calling him up to play if needed. Quite surprising how good he is considering I’d never heard of him before.
Forgot to mention Hrivik myself, but exactly this. Nice depth addition.

He's been talked about so little I feel it's worth highlighting him a bit.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #619
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Im not sure there is a "good" option for the #6 Dman at this point. All of them leave something to be desired.

Bartkowski was a train wreck.

Wotherspoon is effective when you dont notice him. He was noticeable tonight.

Kulak was awful...poor decisions and also took forever to make a decision at times. Really think he has topped out at this point. Something just isnt clicking for him and perhaps he kust needs a reset but at this point he isnt NHL ready.

Valimaki looked like an 18 year old. He will be fine but needs to add some muscle as well as increase his pace. He will dominate in Tri Cities this year which should give him oodles of confidence coming into next year.

Andersson looks like he is playing not to make a mistake. Thats not effective at the NHL level, but something that can be easily coached out of him. He seems like the best option at this point which leads me to believe that...

Treliving may very well be scouring waiver wire/trade markets the next week or so.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #620
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsRobbery View Post
Backs and Frolik didnt play either
No, they played, with Hrvik on their line. They weren't good.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote