Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 04:27 PM   #601
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I get that Enmax won't read meters all the time, but is it normal for them to repeatedly update your usage? I've been getting this for a couple months now on my electricty. It's been up 500 kWh and down 600 kWh which isn't exactly a small amount. How could they be that far off? The bill looks hilarious with all the credits and charges.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:31 PM   #602
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

Spoiler!

Not everyone can live in a van down by the river, man.

(just kidding mine is higher than yours because I used energy like it’s going out of style and but I’ve still never topped 540).
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 04:44 PM   #603
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The equity thickness piece you can argue either way based on risk tolerance.

But any argument for higher ROE is basically founded on, "we think our customers should pay us more money." I'd like that in my business also.

But AB regulated transmission assets all trade for a price to book value of >1, which means the ROE is so attractive investors are willing to pay more than $1 for a dollar of alberta transmission assets. As long as that remains true the ROE should be declining not increasing, because that means there would be no issue attracting capital for new investments.

Also, I wasn't saying BHE overpaid for Altalink, quite the opposite. They're shrewd investors and wouldn't overpay. Since they're willing to pay more than the assets regulated cost base that implies Altalink is getting too good a deal from power consumers and their return on equity could be dialed back to benefit consumers.
There are a few reasons that paying a premium to rate base makes sense and it’s not because the equity thickness and ROE are too high. In many cases it’s because you see rate base growth, you are buying the growth with the premium. You can’t squeeze roe much more, or equity thickness for that matter, this high interest rate period has shown the pressure that puts in place. It’s not as if Alberta’s roe is out of step with other jurisdiction and there’s almost no regulated rate assets that have sold near the rate base in the world, let alone Alberta.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:45 PM   #604
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

Damn we used 997 KWH and I am pretty anal about shutting off lights when not In use. We do have 2 sets of appliances and 2 extra freezers. Small 1100 square foot bungalow with a developed basement.

I don't get how we reached that much.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:17 PM   #605
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We easily go over 3,200 in the summer. Two furnaces and AC units cooling about 3700sq ft
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:05 PM   #606
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
We easily go over 3,200 in the summer. Two furnaces and AC units cooling about 3700sq ft
Those are big numbers, BigNumbers.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 10:48 AM   #607
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I get that Enmax won't read meters all the time, but is it normal for them to repeatedly update your usage? I've been getting this for a couple months now on my electricty. It's been up 500 kWh and down 600 kWh which isn't exactly a small amount. How could they be that far off? The bill looks hilarious with all the credits and charges.
They once went six months without a read for me. Overcharged me about $400.

Funny thing was, none of the numbers were marked as estimates. It was only when they did an actual read were all the numbers on the graph shown as estimates. Grr...
Old 05-04-2024, 12:16 PM   #608
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
They once went six months without a read for me. Overcharged me about $400.

Funny thing was, none of the numbers were marked as estimates. It was only when they did an actual read were all the numbers on the graph shown as estimates. Grr...
I was a meter reader at Enmax many moons ago. We would get a notification if there was a meter on that day's route that hadn't been read in several months. We had flyers with is that asked the homeowner to read the meter and how to call the reading in.

Did you ever see anything like that?
Old 05-04-2024, 02:14 PM   #609
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I was a meter reader at Enmax many moons ago. We would get a notification if there was a meter on that day's route that hadn't been read in several months. We had flyers with is that asked the homeowner to read the meter and how to call the reading in.

Did you ever see anything like that?
I think most electric meters are outside now. Mine is visible from the back alley (with binoculars). It would be way more effort to come drop a flyer than actually read the meter.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 03:05 PM   #610
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

They wouldn't not read it if it was easily visible. They provided binoculars
Old 05-04-2024, 03:23 PM   #611
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This screams large suburban house. I always grouped you with a Sunnyside/Hillhurst condo-living yop-gobbling Druh-loving crowd... Very deceptive.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:49 PM   #612
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

2 furnaces and AC as the reason for massive energy bills makes it sound like you're cranking the heat and the AC and letting them fight it out. Like a significantly less exciting version of BattleBots.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2024, 09:50 PM   #613
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I should buy one of those whole home monitors and see why... I assume the kids leaving PS5s and TVs and stuff on isn't helping...

The problem is, so much of your bill is stupid fixed charges, tough to whine about LED lights left on like my old man would have...
Old 05-04-2024, 10:34 PM   #614
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The problem is, so much of your bill is stupid fixed charges, tough to whine about LED lights left on like my old man would have...
I think a lot of those costs are tied to consumption even moreso than NG. For me it's either 36 or 37% of my bill is the cost of the electricity and that's with a fixed rate of 7.9 cents per kwh. All my other charges look to track with the variation in monthly consumption. As far as I can see the admin charge is based on days in the billing cycle, and the rest are based on how much I used. That fixed charge is 27 cents a day in my region. So if I cut my electricity use by 30%...my bill would drop like 28.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 05-04-2024 at 10:51 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:07 PM   #615
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
They wouldn't not read it if it was easily visible. They provided binoculars
I get that that's the expectation, but by experience my meter is visible from the alley 100% of the time. It gets read much less than 100% of months.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:22 PM   #616
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I should buy one of those whole home monitors and see why... I assume the kids leaving PS5s and TVs and stuff on isn't helping...

Quote:
I'd start with publishing delivery charges, rate riders, etc. on everyone's bills. We show the math for the energy charges: we should show it for everything else.

[...] in my experience the average consumer [has] no idea what the charges on their bills are, just that they're there and it doesn't seem to matter how much energy one uses, and they feel they're getting ####ed one way or another.

timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:27 PM   #617
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
When you’re right, you’re right lol
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2024, 07:46 AM   #618
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

At least I know why mine is so big for an average house. Keeping the A/C at 17c because builders don't separate the HVAC for floors so have to keep it low and cold on the main floor to keep the upstair cool. Considering Split A/C if my unit ever dies to help with that.

5 or 6 PC's running all the time some are servers/router some are general use, and then consoles. I'm sure if I just did some basic calculations the result would come close to my bill usage. with my rate near doubling in August though I may need to make some changes . . .
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:26 AM   #619
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grab a Kill a Watt meter or something similar off Amazon and it will pay for itself. I have a TV with peripherals upstairs I don't use much, and it was drawing 40W just sitting there all the time. Same with a speaker system in the garage. I just turn the power bar off now. I had no idea until I had the meter.

If you have lots of electronics, the old wall wart plugs draw power even when not in use. Pretty easy to go around your house with one of these things and decide what you really do want to keep paying power for.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2024, 08:37 AM   #620
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a follow up, I know it's not just lights and PS5s...

I have a decent sized hot tub, electric heat in my garage, and a big dehumidifier in the garage (for days like today!). Lots of things that improve quality of life, but come with a power cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:

Tags
electricity , enmax