Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #601
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I clearly remember one morning in February 2008 waking up with a weird feeling about markets being crazy. Without questioning myself, I sold everything and sat all cash until 2010 when started buying again. I did not have this gut feeling back a year ago and now I'm paying the price. Probably, time to sell out what I can salvage, count the losses and lick the wounds...
Old 03-15-2020, 07:29 PM   #602
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I clearly remember one morning in February 2008 waking up with a weird feeling about markets being crazy. Without questioning myself, I sold everything and sat all cash until 2010 when started buying again. I did not have this gut feeling back a year ago and now I'm paying the price. Probably, time to sell out what I can salvage, count the losses and lick the wounds...

Would this not be a better opportunity to hold on to those investments, and buy in?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #603
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Would this not be a better opportunity to hold on to those investments, and buy in?
You can only buy in low, if you have cash to buy in low. I was 90% stocks and a few bonds. I didn't do a hypothetical model of what would have happened to my portfolio value if I didn't sell and held on.

Buying on dips requires tremendous amount of guts and time horizon to recover. I am not a young man anymore. 2008 could have been much worse than it was. Roughly comparing 2008 with 1930 crashes: people with $100 value ended up at $50 immediately after 2008 vs. $25 in 1930. If my retirement portfolio goes down 75%, this would be devastating to us.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #604
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You can only buy in low, if you have cash to buy in low. I was 90% stocks and a few bonds. I didn't do a hypothetical model of what would have happened to my portfolio value if I didn't sell and held on.

Buying on dips requires tremendous amount of guts and time horizon to recover. I am not a young man anymore. 2008 could have been much worse than it was. Roughly comparing 2008 with 1930 crashes: people with $100 value ended up at $50 immediately after 2008 vs. $25 in 1930. If my retirement portfolio goes down 75%, this would be devastating to us.
Maybe I'm missing the point - but wouldn't this only really be devastating if you needed to pull from your retirement portfolio in the next year or couple of years?

Or are you retired and currently drawing on it - which raises an interesting point because I had never really thought about how to protect myself from that in the future when I am hopefully one day retired
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:54 PM   #605
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

There will come a time when people may have to sell just to have some money to live on. The scariest thing is when I hear people say their investments are just money they don't have to think about for 30 years. You never know when things change like this and you actually need to live on that money. I hope it's not like that and we get some better news before it's too late.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:05 PM   #606
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
There will come a time when people may have to sell just to have some money to live on. The scariest thing is when I hear people say their investments are just money they don't have to think about for 30 years. You never know when things change like this and you actually need to live on that money. I hope it's not like that and we get some better news before it's too late.
I think a lot of that sentiment comes along with buying the index because it's cheaper. The downside is that you get full...well, downside. There's a segment of investors for who that market risk is just plain too much risk.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #607
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duh! just buy Costco and Loblaws stock....
Old 03-15-2020, 10:09 PM   #608
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ah. Okay I see where you are now. I still have 20ish years to go. While things look crappy and nauseating at the moment, I feel some confidence they will improve once this Coronavirus dip moves past. Although it does make me question earlier retirement sometimes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #609
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just close the markets for two weeks. Such uncharted territory for the markets and the world. Give the world governments and the IMF a chance to come up with some concrete plans for dealing with the unknowns first.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:53 PM   #610
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
Just close the markets for two weeks. Such uncharted territory for the markets and the world. Give the world governments and the IMF a chance to come up with some concrete plans for dealing with the unknowns first.
Pension funds have to be able to sell stock in order to pay their pensions out, you cant just stop pension payments for 2 weeks
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2020, 06:55 AM   #611
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

For my own sanity, I am not checking my stocks today and possibly for the rest of the week. I know they will all be down so there's really no point. If you have investments in the market right now I would encourage you to do the same
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:09 AM   #612
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope cause it's a fast decline it will be a shorter recession and a faster rebound. It took a year to hit bottom in 2008. It felt like a thousand cuts then. This feels like a decapitation.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #613
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I hope cause it's a fast decline it will be a shorter recession and a faster rebound. It took a year to hit bottom in 2008. It felt like a thousand cuts then. This feels like a decapitation.
RBC is predicting a major recession lasting through the summer and fall. This will not be short. Recovery from a truly global hit will take a couple of years, at least.

I am done. Sold everything this morning. F... it.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #614
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Leaving it all in the market and continuing my bi-weekly contributions but also upping cash savings and emergency fund with all new money rather than buying more. This is ####ing crazy.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #615
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Leaving it all in the market and continuing my bi-weekly contributions but also upping cash savings and emergency fund with all new money rather than buying more. This is ####ing crazy.
I'm mostly the same as you, not touching anything, and this is probably the best time to continue to make contributions if you can. It will take a long time to recover but I expect as soon as there is any good news things will take a sharp jump up. Selling right now to me just looks like a terrible idea. I would also say I can see why people may want to sell off and I could be completely wrong and lose it all for all I know.

Last edited by RogerWilco; 03-16-2020 at 11:55 AM.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #616
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dow plunging as Trump starts his presser, might get to the 13% circuit breaker right before close.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 03-16-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #617
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Dow plunging as Trump starts his presser, might get to the 13% circuit breaker right before close.
S&P 500 just broke the support level.

I'll still make my monthly purchases, but am going to keep half as cash until this thing sorts itself out.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #618
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

ONE F..N' BAT EATEN BY ONE F...N' IDIOT MAKES THE WORLD COLLAPSE... Can it be real??? I can't stop thinking about this.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #619
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ONE F..N' BAT EATEN BY ONE F...N' IDIOT MAKES THE WORLD COLLAPSE... Can it be real??? I can't stop thinking about this.
One guy in Sarajevo shoots one guy and his wife in a car, and you kill the Old World.

One guy with a rifle shoots a president (or three guys) again in a car.

History turns on dimes.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #620
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Not really an isolated event. Look at the origins of most viruses.

Bird Flu - Chickens
H1N1 - Pigs
Mad Cow - Cattle
HIV / AIDS - Apes & Monkeys

If that one human (s) decided not to consume meat, would these viruses ever exist in humans at all?
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote