Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #601
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's the same for me, it certainly doesn't feel like I've saved a lot of money since I quit.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #602
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I found I was able to spend money on other things like vacations, home furnishings, clothes etc. I don't think I just wasted a ton of money on other useless crap but was able to buy some stuff that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford. Although I did spend some on useless stuff like the BB8 Sphero lol. Also my savings account actually grows regularly now.

I agree though, no idea how I was ever able to afford it in the first place.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #603
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
So what is the deal with vaping, I see those things everywhere now. Is it really a safer alternative? I see so much back and forth in the news. I did see a recent study done by some British scientists which indicated it was 95% safer but then then other day on my FB feed I thought I saw an article from IFLS suggesting it can cause popcorn lung? Whatever the hell that is?
Popcorn lung is caused by inhaling the chemical Diacetyl. It was and may be still used in some custard or other sweet flavoured juices. Reputable juice companies will tell you that they don't use it. If you're not sure, dump it or don't buy it. I haven't read the the study but if they used a juice that had Diacetyl then yeah but, it would be pretty hard to find a juice that has it if you're buying locally and not off Alibaba.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #604
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Popcorn lung is caused by inhaling the chemical Diacetyl. It was and may be still used in some custard or other sweet flavoured juices. Reputable juice companies will tell you that they don't use it. If you're not sure, dump it or don't buy it. I haven't read the the study but if they used a juice that had Diacetyl then yeah but, it would be pretty hard to find a juice that has it if you're buying locally and not off Alibaba.
Yeah, the popcorn lung thing has already been disproved repeatedly. The amount of diacetyl found in regular cigarettes is magnitudes higher and yet there hasn't been a single diagnosis of popcorn lung related to smoking.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/14/me...-e-cigarettes/
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #605
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I personally still don't trust the vaporization and inhalation of whatever goes into all these flavorings. I just switched to completely unflavored juice. It's literally just nicotine and glycerin.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #606
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always easy to find a use for disposable income. That being said, I'm surprised you guys don't notice a fatter bank account. I sure did. Or at minimum it took longer to run out of money than it used to.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #607
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I personally still don't trust the vaporization and inhalation of whatever goes into all these flavorings. I just switched to completely unflavored juice. It's literally just nicotine and glycerin.
That would be my concern too. I don't need it to taste like anything, just gimme the goods!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #608
nwflamesfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been lurking this thread for years but now I can finally post. 7 days now for me without a cigarette and I will never go back. Not sure what took this long but so amazing to be be free. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

nwflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nwflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #609
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Good job! It's been just shy of 11 months for me and I feel great.

It's funny how you just know it is time. Hang in there. Fight the urges!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #610
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwflamesfan View Post
I've been lurking this thread for years but now I can finally post. 7 days now for me without a cigarette and I will never go back. Not sure what took this long but so amazing to be be free. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
Whether or not you want to use medication or nicotine replacement, there are 3 things you can do to increase your chances of quitting:

1) Plan for your triggers. The strong urges last a few minutes, so prepare in advance something to do

2) Join quitnow.ca. It's actually been shown to increase successes

3) Don't get negative when you screw up. Pretend you're not you for a minute. Look at the "machine" to see what went wrong and fix it. Negativity is a killer
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #611
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwflamesfan View Post
Congratulations! I hope more people thank your post so that you have the positive reinforcement to keep quitting.

I certainly know what my trigger is.... excessive drinking. This stampede season is going to be a tester for me.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #612
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have gone one month without smoking. Started out using Step 1 (21mg)Patch and gum. Now on Step 2(14mg). Cravings are getting less and less. Hardest part was the smoke in the morning. Now I barely get a craving in the morning. Feel fantastic. I found keeping yourself busy is key. I also found using a steam room really helped. Sweat everything out of your body!
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jschick88 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #613
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
I have gone one month without smoking. Started out using Step 1 (21mg)Patch and gum. Now on Step 2(14mg). Cravings are getting less and less. Hardest part was the smoke in the morning. Now I barely get a craving in the morning. Feel fantastic. I found keeping yourself busy is key. I also found using a steam room really helped. Sweat everything out of your body!
Right on!! Good for you!!
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #614
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome job!
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #615
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smoke free for almost 4 years now, only drawback is a little weight gain and my dentist says I chew to much gum.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #616
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Smoke free for almost 4 years now, only drawback is a little weight gain and my dentist says I chew to much gum.
Dentists are never happy.

Two years, 6 months for me. 16,492 cigarettes not smoked.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #617
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Good luck jschick!

1 year 3 months and 3719 cigarettes not smoked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #618
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was curious too see how many cigarettes I haven't smoked since quitting. 65,000! Damn that's a lot of smokes.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #619
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stacked end to end, that's enough to go around a standard running track over 11 times! 4550m.

I actually started the calculation thinking I come up with a really impressive number, like from here to the moon or something...either way, good job!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2016, 09:04 PM   #620
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I had my first dentist visit/cleaning since I quit 2.5 years ago. It felt great to get all of the stains etc. off and have a fresh start. The nice dental hygenist lady told me how great it is for your teeth and gums to be off of the cigarettes as well. Oh and maybe not related but no cavities, thats cool : ) Great job jschick88 on one month, keep it going!!
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post: