Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #6061
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I disagree with anyone who doesn’t think we need an upgrade on our 4th line. When your goaltender has as many points as your 4th line center, that’s kind of a problem. Gulutzan tends to roll all 4 lines as well so they end up playing 10-12 minutes which is more than enough time to produce some offense. We can’t rely on the 1st and 2nd line to score every single game, that’s just unrealistic.

Just look yesterday’s game as an example. Johnny Gaudreau snapped his 7 game point streak against the Jets that coincided with us ending our 7 game winning streak. If his line doesn’t score or if the 2nd line doesn’t score then there’s a good chance we lose.

I’ve seen teams lower than us in the standings who have had their 4th lines come in and singlehandedly beat us (i.e. Canadiens, Flyers, Maple Leafs and etc). Forward depth in this league can be the difference between a good team and an elite team and If we had a 4th line that could provide a positive goal differential, than maybe we would be in comfortable playoff position battling the Knights for tops in the division instead. There’s a standard set for every player on this team and the current 4th line just isn’t meeting those standards.
I get it and I agree it could be way better, every line could. However we have to be realistic.

CP wants a first line that is top 3, second line that’s shut down and top 5, 3rd and 4th line that are league tops in scoring (for bottom 6). If it was so easy every team would have this. Considering our lineup and un-moveable contracts I think they are doing a decent enough job to make sure the top 2 lines get a rest and not hurt the team in the process.

Burying money in the minors for a guy who is young and quiet in the room versus using the vet who everyone in the room loves and is a great character guy is a smart move. Ever seen a practice? If some of the young guys put in the effort Stajan did the team would be much better off. Do I think there is a more skilled or faster option on the team? Yes. Should they have to show they deserve it by working hard in practise? I think so but I’m not an NHL coach.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #6062
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This is nearly the exact opposite for me.

Fox is our best prospect, regardless of position. Kylington and Valimaki both rank ahead of Andersson for me as well.

1. Fox
2. Kylington
3. Valimaki
4. Andersson

I think they’re all good/great prospects, but Andersson has the lowest upside in my eyes.

I think a lot of people on CP have been unfairly critical of Kylington’s game, just in the same way people trash Brodie around here.
Andersson has been deemed by the organization as more NHL worthy now, currently has more goals, assists, and shots than Kylington, has a better +/-, and has shown more growth from last season to this. Kylington may be flashier, but what else puts him ahead of Andersson in your opinon?
Old 01-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #6063
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Andersson has been deemed by the organization as more NHL worthy now, currently has more goals, assists, and shots than Kylington, has a better +/-, and has shown more growth from last season to this. Kylington may be flashier, but what else puts him ahead of Andersson in your opinon?
I can see now why he dropped out of the first round as defensively he's not very good. I don't hold much hope that he's going to be an NHL player. Andersson is a much better prospect.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-21-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #6064
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Re: Kylington, I hope he's the trade bait of any deals involving our D prospects. The one I would hate the least to give up
Old 01-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #6065
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Since Ottawa is too cheap to pay their players and should enter a rebuild (even though this trade will never happen lol)

To Calgary:

Erik Karlsson (Assume we sign him to an extension so he doesn't leave in 2019, possibily $10 mill x 8 years)
Mark Stone (Assume we also sign him to an extension at the end of this year, possibly $6 mill x 7 years since he's RFA)

To Ottawa:

TJ Brodie
2019 1st Round Pick
2020 2nd Round Pick
2018 3rd Round Pick
2018 4th Round Pick (Our's or Florida's)
D Prospect (Oliver Kylington)
F Prospect (Emile Poirier)

Fair or no? If no, replace 2018 3rd Round Pick with a 2020 1st Round Pick OR Sam Bennett but then we have a glaring hole on 3rd line LW. I'm not a huge fan of Bennett but I'd rather keep him now and ship him off later lol.

Basically this trade is killing two birds with one stone. With this trade we get our top 6 RW, who can slot in on the 1st line when Ferland struggles, bumping him down to the 3rd and Frolik back up to 2nd, so we have a lot more flexibility on the right side. And Erik Freakin Karlsson, does anything even need to be said about this guy? Imagine his stretch passes to Johnny, ohhh myyy.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Stone
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Mangiapane - Lazar - Hathaway

Giordano - Karlsson
Hamonic - Hamilton
Kulak - Stone

Smith
Rittich
The Following User Says Thank You to AT77 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #6066
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

All of that is unfortunately absurd. You're taking a virtually untouchable star forward and packaging him with arguably the best defenseman in the league and then offering up Brodie, one first round pick with some others and a couple prospects?

You couldn't even get them to stay on the phone long enough to finish that package. Karlsson alone is going net them a huge return, more quality than what you posted, let alone Mark freaking Stone, lol.

I don't mean to be overly harsh, but that is just completely absurd, a non starter. I can tell by your post that you were more excited about penciling two stars into our line-up and the trade itself was just quickly thrown together so you could imagine the new line-up.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #6067
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Any trade proposal where you read their version of our after-trade lineup and say “wait, how did we get those players?” is probably a little lopsided.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #6068
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Karsson >>>> Brodie
Stone >>> Brodie

Can't offset that massive difference with a bunch of crap. You'd have to add a star player like Monahan and go from there
Old 01-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #6069
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

How the Flames get Karlsson without sending one of your top two forwards the other is beyond me. Free agent or not.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #6070
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

And how do you pay them all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #6071
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is starting to remind me of GM Sutter days.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #6072
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let’s also realize that guys like Poirier and Wotherspoon have zero value. Nothing
So no sense including them in proposals any more than including a Swiss chalet gift certificate (which would actually have more value l)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #6073
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Let’s also realize that guys like Poirier and Wotherspoon have zero value. Nothing
So no sense including them in proposals any more than including a Swiss chalet gift certificate (which would actually have more value l)
The best one could hope for those types is a doofus for doofus trade (pardon the term)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #6074
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT77 View Post
Since Ottawa is too cheap to pay their players and should enter a rebuild (even though this trade will never happen lol)

To Calgary:

Erik Karlsson (Assume we sign him to an extension so he doesn't leave in 2019, possibily $10 mill x 8 years)
Mark Stone (Assume we also sign him to an extension at the end of this year, possibly $6 mill x 7 years since he's RFA)

To Ottawa:

TJ Brodie
2019 1st Round Pick
2020 2nd Round Pick
2018 3rd Round Pick
2018 4th Round Pick (Our's or Florida's)
D Prospect (Oliver Kylington)
F Prospect (Emile Poirier)

Fair or no? If no, replace 2018 3rd Round Pick with a 2020 1st Round Pick OR Sam Bennett but then we have a glaring hole on 3rd line LW. I'm not a huge fan of Bennett but I'd rather keep him now and ship him off later lol.

Basically this trade is killing two birds with one stone. With this trade we get our top 6 RW, who can slot in on the 1st line when Ferland struggles, bumping him down to the 3rd and Frolik back up to 2nd, so we have a lot more flexibility on the right side. And Erik Freakin Karlsson, does anything even need to be said about this guy? Imagine his stretch passes to Johnny, ohhh myyy.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Stone
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Mangiapane - Lazar - Hathaway

Giordano - Karlsson
Hamonic - Hamilton
Kulak - Stone

Smith
Rittich
They have more players making 5+ million a year than the Flames do.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #6075
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

After catching up on this thread from the last few days, I'm pretty pumped about dissentower's incoming Treliving Buddy Christ tattoo
Old 01-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #6076
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
After catching up on this thread from the last few days, I'm pretty pumped about dissentower's incoming Treliving Buddy Christ tattoo
If we land Tavares as a UFA I will be more than happy to do so!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #6077
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can see now why he dropped out of the first round as defensively he's not very good. I don't hold much hope that he's going to be an NHL player. Andersson is a much better prospect.
I hate to be that guy, but did you watch him play (outside the Penticton tourneys and so on)?

Kylington is pretty good defensively. 95% of the time, he is in the right place, and he has excellent gap control. It is really difficult to beat him wide. I think he looked like the best 'bubble' defencemen this past pre-season, and was surprised to see him sent down early.

Does he make some high-risk plays at times? Yes, but those are much more limited now, and he is seemingly picking his spots better. The notion that he is poor defensively has died after last season, and the fact that this is still being brought up is kind of funny.

I still rank Kylington ahead of Andersson. Andersson was called up ahead of Kylington mostly due to him being a RHS and it was Hamonic that was out. Is he ranked ahead of Kylington organizationally? Neither you nor I really know the answer to that one, but Kylington didn't fall out of the 1st round because he was 'poor defensively'. He fell out of the 1st round due to questions about his character and the fact that he bounced around between 3 or 4 teams in his draft year, seemingly stalling his development.

Also, Andersson was on some lists considered a top 10 pick that year heading into his draft year season. Kylington was as high as 2 and 3, and Andersson was around 8 or 9. Both are quality prospects. I just think the stigma around Kylington not being able to play defence is unwarranted at this point, and even when he decides to go for a high risk play he ends up making it back on D more times than not. Those that watch the Heat regularly can probably chime in better than I can.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #6078
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksandBean View Post
If you think that Simmons is going to cost a fortune but believe Hoffman will cost less that’s fine but I believe that they will command similar prices.
Simmons would cost far more because Philadelphia is fighting for the playoffs and Ottawa is fighting for a better draft pick.

Chances of Philly moving Simmons are slim to none this season
Old 01-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #6079
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Simmonds

Wayne Simmonds
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #6080
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I hate to be that guy, but did you watch him play (outside the Penticton tourneys and so on)?

Kylington is pretty good defensively. 95% of the time, he is in the right place, and he has excellent gap control. It is really difficult to beat him wide. I think he looked like the best 'bubble' defencemen this past pre-season, and was surprised to see him sent down early.

Does he make some high-risk plays at times? Yes, but those are much more limited now, and he is seemingly picking his spots better. The notion that he is poor defensively has died after last season, and the fact that this is still being brought up is kind of funny.

I still rank Kylington ahead of Andersson. Andersson was called up ahead of Kylington mostly due to him being a RHS and it was Hamonic that was out. Is he ranked ahead of Kylington organizationally? Neither you nor I really know the answer to that one, but Kylington didn't fall out of the 1st round because he was 'poor defensively'. He fell out of the 1st round due to questions about his character and the fact that he bounced around between 3 or 4 teams in his draft year, seemingly stalling his development.

Also, Andersson was on some lists considered a top 10 pick that year heading into his draft year season. Kylington was as high as 2 and 3, and Andersson was around 8 or 9. Both are quality prospects. I just think the stigma around Kylington not being able to play defence is unwarranted at this point, and even when he decides to go for a high risk play he ends up making it back on D more times than not. Those that watch the Heat regularly can probably chime in better than I can.
I think patience with Oliver Kylington will result in Jankowskiesque benefits in the long term. Kylington is in his 3rd AHL season, and he's 20. It'd be silly to move on from him now.

But he absolutely fell out of the 1st round and damn near into the 3rd because he was bad defensively.