Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2024, 08:51 AM   #6061
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Recommendation for Electrician to do the Electrical part of an A/C install? Family member is HVAC guy doing supply and install of unit, but I need an electrician. I’d do it myself but can’t as per permit rules.
Sorry not being a dick, but have you asked your Family member?

My buddies that are in the trades always know someone they would recommend.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:57 AM   #6062
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tree roots (Mine) have raised the pavement level in the back alley (City owned and Paved) to the point where water / snow etc...collects regularly.

I would like to have the pavement removed, the roots cut out and then the level lowered so that I dont have a speed bump on one side when entering into my garage.

Is that a city issue or can I do it privately ?
Old 06-13-2024, 10:50 AM   #6063
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Tree roots (Mine) have raised the pavement level in the back alley (City owned and Paved) to the point where water / snow etc...collects regularly.

I would like to have the pavement removed, the roots cut out and then the level lowered so that I dont have a speed bump on one side when entering into my garage.

What did 311 say?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 11:05 AM   #6064
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I would not do any work to the city's property under any circumstances. If you make a mess out of it you are in a world of trouble.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 12:15 PM   #6065
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
What did 311 say?
CP knows way more than 311...

I always ask here first...
Old 06-13-2024, 12:18 PM   #6066
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

haha, fair point (and probably true).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2024, 12:19 PM   #6067
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there are certified contractors with the city you would have to use, and they are permitted to do this type of thing. Or, you know, Doug from kijiji.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:58 AM   #6068
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think there are certified contractors with the city you would have to use, and they are permitted to do this type of thing. Or, you know, Doug from kijiji.
I use Doug for everything. Good guy. Can recommend. Leveled the pavement in my alley like a pro.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 03:21 PM   #6069
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
No idea. That's why I'm tempted to go through with the $1K deposit to get more info. I kinda follow the logic of why the dude is saying $30-70K in his explanation, but what he's describing doesn't seem like what they'd need to do for my place.

The guy's reasoning on the phone was the initial assessment was that from the information they collected, they needed to dig north, potentially into the driveway then straight across west to cross the road, through some lawn and pathway before finally reaching my house for a distance of 35-50 meters. However, a project manager would go in more detail to figure out the most optimal path. If that's what they actually need to do, which is basically underground for 2-3 properties away plus crossing the road, yeah. I could see that being the quote.

But if I stand at my meter, I can see the transformer and I estimate it's around 50-70 feet away, not 100-150 feet (Transformer around 5 feet from road and assuming road is about 20 feet, driveway is 20 feet and then meter is another 10-15) feet from there. Other than the road and sidewalk, a lot of the trenching would also be in lawn, not driveways and pathways. It is not 100-150 feet away unless C or S shaped paths are being selected.
Quoting myself with additional information in case anyone was curious. I paid the deposit mid April and it took about 2 months for Enmax to get me a breakdown quote. The breakdown quote is less detailed than a detailed quote and is non binding. A detailed quote would have more detailed breakdowns but would require engineer involvement to prepare that. It was mentioned that it could potentially cost more than the $1K deposit to prepare that type of detailed quote.

The scope of this project would have basically involved:
- Pedestal upgrades and installation
- Asphalt cut and remediation
- Trenching, extending and installation of two 22-23 meters of conduits 1.5 meters underground. One for the service upgrade, one for future CC (No idea what this means and why two are required).
- Approx 20m of new 4/0 cable (unsure if it was replacement, or adding of cable, but I seem to recall in one of the phone conversations it was implied it would be adding cable)

Original ball park $30-70K. My estimated quote (directly across road from transformer) ~$48K non-binding.

Speculation and guessing on quote breakdown.
Spoiler!

Line and cable differentiation and guessing...
Spoiler!

Now to go back and figure out the details of what is my existing cable size so that the electrician can figure out what options I have to replace and upgrade my existing electrical box.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 03:38 PM   #6070
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had aluminum run from the garage to the house, because it is cheaper and fine for that(and the electrician recommended it). I'm not sure what runs from the pole to the meter.

I suspect they recommend 2 runs since it is easy to do, and leaves options for future, or if something happens to on of them.

Did you look at any of the no dig companies that basically do it with high pressure water?
Old 06-14-2024, 05:12 PM   #6071
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
Does any member of this forum upgraded to heat pump? Have seen so many cons vs pros in our climate. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Has anyone ever used a sewer jetter or hydro jetter kit on a power washer to clean out a rain gutter downspout that's clogged with leaves and sticks? Anything to be aware of? Or just stay out of the range of the backwards jets and basically let it rip?

My downspouts are clogged pretty bad and water leaks out vs drains out. I've tried plumber augers and stuff to no avail but somehow stumbled on a video of these. For $50-100, it seems like it's worth a shot before calling in a pro.

Err... after the water restrictions are lifted, of course...

Bump

Would like to know the same thing. I'd have to go up from the bottom of the eaves so not ideal but it's a two story house. If I can't do it myself from below we'll have to get someone to come do it.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:28 PM   #6072
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It can be easier to unscrew a section and clean it on the ground, but depends on your house. Warning, will probably be heavy if fell of wt leaves.
Old 06-15-2024, 11:17 AM   #6073
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What’s underneath the pavement? Is it clay? We have a poster on here who’s an expert in all things clay.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2024, 11:21 AM   #6074
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

To subscribe to my newsletter, text CLAY to 403-666-CLAY. Texts are billed at a rate of $9.99. To cancel, text NOCLAY, and allow 6-10 business decades for processing.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:27 AM   #6075
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I had aluminum run from the garage to the house, because it is cheaper and fine for that(and the electrician recommended it). I'm not sure what runs from the pole to the meter.

I suspect they recommend 2 runs since it is easy to do, and leaves options for future, or if something happens to on of them.

Did you look at any of the no dig companies that basically do it with high pressure water?
No, it was all done by Enmax's people. Even if it was a no-dig approach, I'm not convinced it'd be less than $15-20K.

I'm just going to upgrade my electrical box from the old type (cartridge fuse?) that keeps tripping and has a chance of overheating/is a fire hazard and have a discussion on how to redo some of the electrical in my house. Pretty sure it'll be less than $5-10K all in. There are many fuses in my house that are basically connected to electrical outlets that I don't care about. There are even electrical outlets with dimmer switches on them. There are plenty of switches that controls between 3-9 light bulbs, half of these basically are 4-5+ bulbs. Even with LED bulbs, my electrical usage is kinda crazy. All bathrooms have 3-5 bulbs and I've decided I'd like to use the money address that instead of 200A.

This isn't even including two chandeliers that are 11 and 14 bulbs respectively, and these two chandeliers use A19 bulbs, not candelabra. These chandeliers are on regularly because of the way the lighting works in my house.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 10:42 AM   #6076
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Bump

Would like to know the same thing. I'd have to go up from the bottom of the eaves so not ideal but it's a two story house. If I can't do it myself from below we'll have to get someone to come do it.
In theory, based on the descriptions and Youtube videos, I think it should work well. I have all the components, but unfortunately with these water restrictions, I haven't had a chance to try them out and I may not for a while until it's fixed. I'll definitely comment about what I think when I try it though.

It only costs around $60-80 for the kit with hoses and extra attachments and I also opted to spend an extra $30-50 on an extra spray gun and other attachments so that I wouldn't have to detach/reattach my normal pressure washer gun stuff. A few videos showed people attaching the kit directly to the pressure washer and "turning it off and on" by turning the pressure washer off and on. I only saw a few videos where they attached the kit to their pressure washer gun (as I am planning to do), but in some of those videos, they keep swapping back and forth between the kit and a wand.

it's just basically this one small attachment though:

https://www.amazon.ca/Challco-4000ps...s%2C116&sr=8-2

I've even seen a plastic version that goes on a garden hose. I've also seen that this attachment can be used for clearing things other than gutters, but I don't think I'll ever need it for that purpose.

My situation is legitimately clogs from leaves, sticks, up to several cm of mud, pieces of asphalt shingles granules etc. from years of build up. I'm pretty sure it'd be several hundred to get someone to professionally do it, so fingers crossed that it works and then I have thos kit to use for regular upkeep.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:06 AM   #6077
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

anyone purchased a storm door recently? The wind has basically broken the bottom of our existing door so it no longer closes so (hinges are broken). Looking on Home Depot and Rona it seems there are two brands that both have some bad reviews.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:14 AM   #6078
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
anyone purchased a storm door recently? The wind has basically broken the bottom of our existing door so it no longer closes so (hinges are broken). Looking on Home Depot and Rona it seems there are two brands that both have some bad reviews.
I have this one and it's been great.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/and...oor/1001331515
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 11:28 AM   #6079
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Looking to put some railing down the concrete stairs that go down the side of our house. I assume it's just as simple as getting the railing, laying it out, putting in the anchors and bolting it all down?

It would be free standing along the property line-ish, I don't see something like that at Home Depot where would be a place in Calgary that would sell something like that. I did see a few wrought iron type places so I'll find out how much that would be but thought there was something a bit more modular.

EDIT: something like this:

Old 06-20-2024, 11:50 AM   #6080
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.vistarailings.com/produc...icket-railing/

Would something like this work? I got mine from Bigtime at Timber Town. I just did the steps up to my house(not a walkway like your photo), and perhaps this is more than you were looking for, but it is modular.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: