Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2024, 12:36 PM   #6041
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I haven't watched it, but from what I can tell, the answer is yes, for about two jokes right at the top of the show... It's like he's figured out that if he does a small segment about him vs LGBTQ+ people in each show it'll generate the necessary outrage to fuel word of mouth that he has a new special out and for people to check and see what the big controversy is this time.
If that's what he planned then it pretty well worked. If you Google him or his special right now it's a barrage of articles talking about 5 minutes of a 60 minute special. The people that want to read those articles likely won't be watching the special, of course, but he's getting attention.

This wasn't his best, IMO, but it got back to the jokier side of Chappelle's stand-up and I think a lot of people were hoping for that. I'm an anomaly in that I thought The Closer was outstanding. It's probably the closest he's got to 90s Carlin, which is my personal pinnacle of stand-up. His earlier work entertained me more, but The Closer hit a deeper level.

While I'm a fan there is this troubling pattern emerging about Chappelle where he seems to simultaneously be the most and least self-aware rich person. The right is also glomming on to comedians like him and Bill Burr as some beacon of free speech against woke cancel culture, consuming their content like a sermon rather than comedy.

Where Burr makes it clear he's calling everyone out for their stupidity, Dave is content shrugging his shoulders, or rubbing them up against guys like Elon Musk. He's always relied on his audience to be smart enough to hear what he's saying while at the same time chastising everyone for how stupid they are. Chappelle is becoming a bit of a troll and it gets harder for me to defend his art when his character can be so confusing.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:36 PM   #6042
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
If that's what he planned then it pretty well worked. If you Google him or his special right now it's a barrage of articles talking about 5 minutes of a 60 minute special. The people that want to read those articles likely won't be watching the special, of course, but he's getting attention.

This wasn't his best, IMO, but it got back to the jokier side of Chappelle's stand-up and I think a lot of people were hoping for that. I'm an anomaly in that I thought The Closer was outstanding. It's probably the closest he's got to 90s Carlin, which is my personal pinnacle of stand-up. His earlier work entertained me more, but The Closer hit a deeper level.

While I'm a fan there is this troubling pattern emerging about Chappelle where he seems to simultaneously be the most and least self-aware rich person. The right is also glomming on to comedians like him and Bill Burr as some beacon of free speech against woke cancel culture, consuming their content like a sermon rather than comedy.

Where Burr makes it clear he's calling everyone out for their stupidity, Dave is content shrugging his shoulders, or rubbing them up against guys like Elon Musk. He's always relied on his audience to be smart enough to hear what he's saying while at the same time chastising everyone for how stupid they are. Chappelle is becoming a bit of a troll and it gets harder for me to defend his art when his character can be so confusing.
It was really hard for me to figure out what was going on with him. He has a genuine point, in that black people in America simply aren't being provided with the opportunities and aren't making the progress they should. While other groups are progressing beyond black Americans.

At time, it did seem like he was genuinely stressing this point. It also seemed like he was genuinely hurt by what happened to Daphne Dorman.

However, the amount of time he spent focusing on the issue pushed his act more towards bullying of LGTBQ people and pandering to the right, whether intentional or not.

I saw his last show live, and was really hoping he'd move on, but instead focused a disproportionate amount of time on the issue.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:56 PM   #6043
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe people are just realizing how easy it is to extract money from those on the right after seeing how Trump has been doing it over the last eight years.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:00 PM   #6044
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, it's comedy. I think those focusing on the LGBT jokes are missing his point to some degree, about his parallels with the black community. I also don't think he hates the LBGT community - he just wants everyone to be open to being laughed at (including his own people). It's very much about free speech and comedy, but he does make his point in a very creative way. I like the guy a lot because he comes across as pretty real, and makes no qualms about being rich and not giving AF.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:03 PM   #6045
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Chappelle doesn’t hate the lgbt community? Your post is intended to be comedy, right? Because no one could say that with a straight face.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:23 PM   #6046
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the first time he brought up the whole 'LGBT issues are taken more seriously than black issues, wtf is that all about' thing I found it to be an interesting angle, and I can respect the comedic craft of trying to find the humour in such a complex topic. Bringing it up for multiple specials in a row got tiring pretty quickly though. The greats like Carlin would make a point and move on, not bash you over the head with it repeatedly. Especially when it's clearly past the point where he's just doing it for the sake of doing it and doesn't really have anything else to say.

Still like his other stuff but I'm pretty over that whole topic. Hope Corsi is right and there's barely any in there
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 07:30 PM   #6047
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Chappelle doesn’t hate the lgbt community? Your post is intended to be comedy, right? Because no one could say that with a straight face.
Chappelle doesn't hate the LGBTQ+ community. I don't think he really hates anyone. If anything you could try to make the argument he doesn't respect white people as a generalized concept.

He just doesn't understand the LGBTQ+ community, whether that be from a personal standpoint or from the aspect of power dynamics. I understand his point: transgenderism and transsexualism is something truly absurd, and I mean that philosophically. To be born into a certain sex but identify with contradictory gendering must be an absolutely ####ed up thing to deal with. The problem I have is that he doesn't exactly seem all too willing to grow into more empathy and understanding, and he uses the fact that the militant wing of the community retaliates as justification for his resistance to the movement as a whole. I also think he views the community as having more power than the black community, and in a roundabout way he resents that.

I just find it increasingly troubling that he's willing to call out the LGBTQ+ community as exercising their privilege (whiteness) when they require it, but then goes ahead and exercises his wealth at the expense of his own community when it is most convenient. That he "makes no qualms about being rich and not giving AF" isn't something to be admired or respected. It's hypocrisy and it undercuts a lot of what he pretends he stands for.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:24 PM   #6048
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I think the first time he brought up the whole 'LGBT issues are taken more seriously than black issues, wtf is that all about' thing I found it to be an interesting angle, and I can respect the comedic craft of trying to find the humour in such a complex topic. Bringing it up for multiple specials in a row got tiring pretty quickly though. The greats like Carlin would make a point and move on, not bash you over the head with it repeatedly. Especially when it's clearly past the point where he's just doing it for the sake of doing it and doesn't really have anything else to say.

Still like his other stuff but I'm pretty over that whole topic. Hope Corsi is right and there's barely any in there
There is barely any Trans jokes in his new set. A couple of drive byes. Not anything like his previous 3 sets.

There no in depth story telling or building, just some zingers.

Aside from that, I think it was one of his weaker sets overall. If I had to compare the two between The Dreamer and Armageddon by Ricky Gervais, Gervais was better. Which for me is a really rare thing to say.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:42 PM   #6049
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be interested in knowing what the demographics of people who still find Gervais and Chappelle compelling are, but I think I already have a pretty good idea.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2024, 10:04 AM   #6050
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
There is barely any Trans jokes in his new set. A couple of drive byes. Not anything like his previous 3 sets.

There no in depth story telling or building, just some zingers.

Aside from that, I think it was one of his weaker sets overall. If I had to compare the two between The Dreamer and Armageddon by Ricky Gervais, Gervais was better. Which for me is a really rare thing to say.
Yeah I ended up checking it out last night. I laughed out loud once or twice but overall found it really weak, so much boring filler and time between jokes, then the last 25 minutes just did nothing for me. Granted I had no idea who he was talking about, maybe the story would have landed if I had any sort of modern pop culture awareness

Pretty forgettable and not one I'd go re-watch

Last edited by btimbit; 01-03-2024 at 10:09 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:35 PM   #6051
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what the demographics of people who still find Gervais and Chappelle compelling are, but I think I already have a pretty good idea.

When I was at his live show, there were all ages of people there who'd forked over a large amount of money to be there. I'd say ages 35-50 were more represented, but there were definitely lots of younger people there too. Almost 50/50 gender split.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:30 PM   #6052
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I’m gonna guess 40-55 year olds are their core audience. Which would be the least surprising thing ever, since comedy is typically generational. So Bo Burnham and James Acaster are probably most popular with 20-35 year olds. And the audiences for all of the above likely skews male, as the audience for standup overall skews male.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:06 PM   #6053
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does Fall of the house of usher get better? I could only manage getting through about 40 minutes of the first episode and I was so bored I had to turn it off. I was a fan of Mike Flanagan's other shows (hill house, Bly manor, midnight mass etc.) so really want to like this one, but I can't stay interested. Is it worth getting through the first episode or two to get past the setup in the hopes it starts taking off? I know he has a 'slow burn' style, but this one seems painfully slow to me for some reason, so I'm genuinely conflicted on whether or not to keep going.

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:00 AM   #6054
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, stick with it. I've gotten really bored with some of his others, but this one was good.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 11:43 AM   #6055
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
Does Fall of the house of usher get better? I could only manage getting through about 40 minutes of the first episode and I was so bored I had to turn it off. I was a fan of Mike Flanagan's other shows (hill house, Bly manor, midnight mass etc.) so really want to like this one, but I can't stay interested. Is it worth getting through the first episode or two to get past the setup in the hopes it starts taking off? I know he has a 'slow burn' style, but this one seems painfully slow to me for some reason, so I'm genuinely conflicted on whether or not to keep going.
I thought it was his 2nd best one end to end

Episode 1 is a little slow - make sure you have time to watch the first few back to back
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 12:02 PM   #6056
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks. I'll give it another shot. Pat of the problem might have been that the trailer was so underwhelming that I went into it thinking it would be boring and so it was. I'll go back to it with a different mindset.

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:48 PM   #6057
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah my wife and I watched the 1st 2, but weren't really into it. Maybe we will go back and try again.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:52 AM   #6058
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they did another movie about the Uruguayan soccer team plane crash in the Andes, and it's on Netflix now. Society of the Snow.

I remember watching Alive all those years ago (I read the book after too), and that they filmed it up by Panorama on the Jumbo glacier. Seeing this version getting some great reviews online.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:11 PM   #6059
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
So they did another movie about the Uruguayan soccer team plane crash in the Andes, and it's on Netflix now. Society of the Snow.

I remember watching Alive all those years ago (I read the book after too), and that they filmed it up by Panorama on the Jumbo glacier. Seeing this version getting some great reviews online.
It’s really good. Watched it last night.
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 12:54 PM   #6060
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

They added another season of One Punch Man. Haven't watched it yet, but plan to.