Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2023, 09:11 AM   #581
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I arrived at 2 PM (an hour before the game), and the ONE parking attendant in the north lot west of the field was leisurely taking payment while the lineup backed up to the highway... couldn't they just get, you know... get more attendants taking payment? Really easy solution...

Anyways, what a crowd today! Supporters section was packed, same with the main stands. Loved the excessive smoke bombs, more of that please! Also Chowed down on currywurst and the new PIE STAND at the SE tents - and they were DELICIOUS. The new digital scoreboard on the south end of the field is awesome! Looks like Spruce Meadows is really investing in the product / game day experience, great to see!
You forgot to mention the chia pet horses!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:21 AM   #582
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over all it was a low even game.

Cavalry FC only have two players who seem to like to move the ball with possession. Escalante and Musse. Otherwise they are keen on getting the ball off their foot as quick as possible. Chima in particular was not a calming presence when it came to possession, same for, Aird.

Bevan is a quality attacker, the ball is dangerous on his foot, but getting it to him is a challenge. Last year the Cavs fell in love with lobbing 50/50 balls to move through the middle of the pitch and it looks to me like that will be the strategy again. It is going to be frustrating watching this team try to break through the middle.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:17 AM   #583
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I parked in the west lot and arrived really early with Howie_16 to visit a tailgate, so we missed all of the "fun". But I was meeting some others that got caught up in the parking shenanigans. Not only did the club simply give up on collecting parking money, anyone entering the match from the NE lots just walked right into the ground. There was a gate in the fence and everyone was just streaming right through instead of having to walk around to the pavilion to enter the proper way.

If you're coming all the way down to Spruce Meadows, you probably already have a ticket, so I doubt that it "cost" them anything to throw the gates open. But giving up thousands of parking revenue due to pure incompetence - unfortunately not surprising, but pretty disappointing at this point. They've had a few years to figure this out.

I suppose a smidge of credit is due for them recognizing their failures and throwing the gates open, so as not to make it any worse for people. But cancel the shuttles AND make parking more difficult? Who could've foreseen a gong show?

But if we ignore the negative stuff (but honestly, come on, this is ridiculous), it sure was great to be back. Full credit to Kildares who were great as usual. They had a bus that left 60 and 30 minutes prior to the match (and back again afterwards), everything was nicely organized with wrist bands, and lots of supporters. We didn't take the bus because we have a parking pass and we were dropping in at a tailgate, but I really hope that there is enough demand to keep the bus going. It is a great option to save yourself the headache of Spruce Meadows parking.

Spruce Meadows was beautiful as always. Black jerseys looked better in person, but I'm a traditionalist and think that red is the proper colour to be worn at home. Save the black for colour clashes and merch shop shelves. Foot Soldiers were loud and smoky.

The match itself wasn't great, but not terrible either. I think that we could've/should've done better against Valour, but I am actually pretty impressed by the parity in the league this year. Of course things will stretch out a bit as the season progresses, but there have been lots of close games and draws, which hopefully makes for good competition (as long as Cavalry are on the right side of it).

Crowd and atmosphere was pretty good too. Home opener buzz, obviously, and a beautiful day. Not a full sellout, but a very healthy crowd.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 10:57 AM   #584
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's good to hear about the Kildares bus. I heard things were quite smooth with the Ship busses which "sold out" long before the busses were to leave.

I'm really curious to see how things go in Langley next weekend. Think there's a decent sized crew going for the away day.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 03:11 PM   #585
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problems with parking intake, 5 years in, is shocking. Yet, there it was yesterday for all to be encumbered by. They need to position Police Officers again, at key intersections to expedite traffic.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 03:16 PM   #586
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Problems with parking intake, 5 years in, is shocking. Yet, there it was yesterday for all to be encumbered by. They need to position Police Officers again, at key intersections to expedite traffic.
It is totally inexcusable. The fact that you have to pay for parking at all is a little strange since there isn't another option. Hell tack the $10 onto ticket prices and offer free parking just to move people in and out more easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 03:32 PM   #587
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I had no problem with parking because I arrived really early to do a bit of tailgating with some friends I hadn’t seen in a while, but the parking issue is disappointing. I’m sure they’ll fix it quickly like they have with all the other issues, but these type of things scare off new fans. That was a great crowd yesterday and I hope it didn’t wreck the experience for a lot of people.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 03:45 PM   #588
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't comment on the game day experience yesterday as I was sick and couldn't make it, but this club has a tendency at times to talk big and fail to back it up. We should be talking about a massive crowd and getting a win on a glorious sunny day but instead everyone is talking about issues with parking and concessions and security.

I would love to say that we as a supporters group could work with the club to improve that experience, but at times the front office can be set in their ways and unreceptive to our feedback. I think there are a lot of great people at the club who are doing the best with what they are given, for example the person running the social media or the people behind the register at the understaffed store; to me this is an issue at the top and I'm not sure what it will take to have them be more receptive to the issues we bring forward.

"We know best" sums up the attitude. You know equestrian inside and out. But soccer is totally different.

Now, what we have seen over the first 4 years is that when the club ####s up (and it sounds like they ####ed up pretty bad yesterday), they have typically remedied things very quickly and change course. Hopefully this is the case again.

And while it sounds like the game day experience yesterday was pretty poor, at least we are talking about the club not being able to handle big crowds instead of asking why no one wants to go to games like other clubs in the league are asking.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 03:51 PM   #589
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It is totally inexcusable. The fact that you have to pay for parking at all is a little strange since there isn't another option. Hell tack the $10 onto ticket prices and offer free parking just to move people in and out more easily.
Cancelling the shuttles didn't help. For "not being well utilized" or whatever the club claimed, I always saw multiple packed buses leaving the match. Those passengers became traffic.

I wasn't a shuttle user because of where I live (far NW), but reducing options and then crapping the bed on parking - sadly par for the course.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:06 AM   #590
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, everything about the game day experience was awesome on Sunday. It was just parking that was annoying - and I'm sure they'll rectify that. Was the parking a missed opportunity? Sure, but hardly one worth holding the team over the fire for right now. IF that happens all year, then sure, but I doubt that happens.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 01:01 PM   #591
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the folks who liaises with the club just sent the club a pretty lengthy email with some solutions to the issues we saw on Sunday.

Some good suggestions on traffic control, speedier payment, speeding up parking pass holder access again, happy hours, general communication style, and letting them know that the shuttles we have (2 busses from the Ship and the bus from Kildares that did multiple trips Sunday) are full.

Fingers crossed it's received well.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 07:05 PM   #592
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 05-04-2023, 05:21 PM   #593
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up, it like anyone with a parking pass was credited $15 towards future Cavalry games to make up for Sunday's issues with parking.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 09:43 AM   #594
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Heads up, it like anyone with a parking pass was credited $15 towards future Cavalry games to make up for Sunday's issues with parking.
Sweet, I'll spend mine on one beer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 05:41 PM   #595
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vancouver given a red card for reasons only the referee can understand. Let's see if the Cavs take advantage.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:42 PM   #596
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Extremely harsh red for the VFC defender. It was a 50/50 ball.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:01 PM   #597
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

So close to taking the lead there. I guess the draws will continue till next week
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:03 PM   #598
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Woof
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:04 PM   #599
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Now that’s a draw that feels like a loss. Outside of a couple late chances we created absolutely nothing against 10 men.

As we all knew in the off-season this team is desperate for a quality attacking mid.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #600
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Now that’s a draw that feels like a loss. Outside of a couple late chances we created absolutely nothing against 10 men.

As we all knew in the off-season this team is desperate for a quality attacking mid.
That CAM position is sorely lacking and we need someone big, fast and willing to push/shoot in the worst way.

Credit to Escalante and Cantave on generally good games. Irving stood tall for VFC on this one too.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , fced is no good / dead , ftf , soccer