Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #581
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
To be fair comparing Iceland to the USA is like comparing Greater Victoria, BC to the US.

Thats not what they are doing, they are talking about how we approach our gun rights, legislation..
Old 08-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #582
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Thats not what they are doing, they are talking about how we approach our gun rights, legislation..
Which is cool. I get it. I'm just saying that the USA is like 200 orders of magnitude more complex than Iceland.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #583
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Complex, but the solutions are the same, federal laws that actually address the many loopholes, lack of regulation on licensing, training, registries...

Tired of the "oh but thats Japan, culture is so different." Yes thats true, but so is that the US can't even pass background checks with 90% of the citizens supporting that.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #584
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Complex, but the solutions are the same, federal laws that actually address the many loopholes, lack of regulation on licensing, training, registries...

Tired of the "oh but thats Japan, culture is so different." Yes thats true, but so is that the US can't even pass background checks with 90% of the citizens supporting that.
As I said, you are comparing a country with a population lower than BC's capital to one of the largest and most complex societies in human history. Americans have a constitutional right to own firearms with limits clearly set out by the federal government and the courts. It is also a political society set against itself in a manner and ferocity not seen for fifty years.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #585
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that if you just dropped 2 million guns into Iceland and said "do what you want with them", you wouldn't have anything to worry about.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #586
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think that if you just dropped 2 million guns into Iceland and said "do what you want with them", you wouldn't have anything to worry about.
Completely agree, which is a major difference from the US.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #587
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
As I said, you are comparing a country with a population lower than BC's capital to one of the largest and most complex societies in human history. Americans have a constitutional right to own firearms with limits clearly set out by the federal government and the courts. It is also a political society set against itself in a manner and ferocity not seen for fifty years.

So you are saying background checks, Federal laws about licensing, etc would go against that constitutional right?
Old 08-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #588
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you are saying background checks, Federal laws about licensing, etc would go against that constitutional right?
I think that given the current state of American society, it is looking pretty difficult. Don't you?

This isn't a policy matter. It is a cultural one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #589
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Depends if 2020 turns into a Dem House and Senate, but its not a cultural one when 90% of people in polls show support for background checks, in fact a lot of the ideas people have been floating to help at least start doing real federal gun control changes have majority support.

So its not a cultural one for most of these basic laws that are well supported, but a corruption issue with the Republican party and politics in general in the US.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #590
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
The issue with having the 2nd amendment is that it is always a possibility that any gun control measure could be found unconstitutional by one iteration of the Supreme Court or another.

Would anyone be surprised if Alito-Thomas-Gorsuch-Kavanaugh-Roberts all agreed that handgun bans in Chicago and New York were unconstitutional, regardless of what previous courts had ruled?

This is why the most important step towards meaningful reduction in gun violence in the US is the repeal of the 2nd Amendment.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #591
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Best would be to start with the one everyone wants, background checks. See if it gets challenged and goes to the Supreme court.

This by most legal experts is not going to be struck down, because your right to own a gun isn't being infringed upon if you have mental health issues or a criminal background, spousal abuse, etc.

Like all I ever hear is, it won't work, nope, and yet they haven't even tried.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #592
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Best would be to start with the one everyone wants, background checks. See if it gets challenged and goes to the Supreme court.

This by most legal experts is not going to be struck down, because your right to own a gun isn't being infringed upon if you have mental health issues or a criminal background, spousal abuse, etc.

Like all I ever hear is, it won't work, nope, and yet they haven't even tried.
I think you are making a mistake in assuming that I don't want them to try anything. I am merely pointing out the political and cultural difficulty in proceeding with reform.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #593
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
For a non gun person perspective I ask: why are these mass shootings being done with AR15s usually? If I was going to do something crazy like this, the 1st thing that comes to mind is how bulky and heavy it would be to carry all that ammo and a big AR15. What advantage do these things offer over pistols/handguns? It would seem to me like handguns would do the same job since you wouldn't expect your targets to be wearing body armour.
hand guns are substantially less accurate for most people, its the bracing effect of having it jambed into your shoulder, and they sight easier, again because it is jambed into your shoulder and you look down the barrel
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #594
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

peter12 is back!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #595
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
peter12 is back!
No, I'm having a bad posting day. I'm tired and grouchy. Sorry, I don't mean to come off as too critical here.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #596
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I'm having a bad posting day. I'm tired and grouchy. Sorry, I don't mean to come off as too critical here.
we wouldn't have you any other way Peter
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #597
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
peter12 is back!
Fml
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #598
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you are making a mistake in assuming that I don't want them to try anything. I am merely pointing out the political and cultural difficulty in proceeding with reform.
No need for changes or suggestions. Let's go live in peter12's chauvinistic 18th century religious utopia
Old 08-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #599
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
No need for changes or suggestions. Let's go live in peter12's chauvinistic 18th century religious utopia
Well, that's an interesting attack.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #600
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nipping the bud