Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #41
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I am happy with Shaw - been with them for internet for a few years now.

I have slowly been ridding myself of Telus and Telus Mobility and I have finally cut the cord completely. I now have my phone, internet, and TV with shaw.

It isn't that I'm overly pro-Shaw or anti-Telus, I just find that Shaw does everything that I need it to do at a good price. And whenever I have had to deal with Telus on the phone it has been a struggle, and Shaw just seems to get things done. No fuss.
Hope you have a cell phone in case of emergency.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #42
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

telus dropped my internet bill by 10$ and my phone bill by 10$ after telling them about shaw

didn't even need arguing either, just talked to retentions and he did it, i didn't even inquire about phone bill, just internet but he said "we may actually be able to drop your phone bill too, seeing as you are a loyal customer"
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #43
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Hope you have a cell phone in case of emergency.
My Shaw phone has gone down about as many times as Telus did when I had Telus for a landline.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #44
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Yeah I love shaw, 8gb in 40 min makes me happy. Shaw extreme has a 100GB/month limit although i'm at about 200-300gb this month before I slowed down and still haven't heard from them at all.
well you may want to pay a bit more attention to how much bandwidth you use in the future since Shaw plans to change their billing system, which will charge users per gigabyte if they go over the cap (no more AUP reps calling you and threatening to disconnect services)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
One thing, if you end up going with Shaw -- buy the modem. It's cheap and you get more off your bill. It ends up paying for itself within 6 months. It also comes with a 5 year warranty. If it cans out or needs to be worked on, they will just switch it out.

FYI: I've been on shaw since the Wave came out and I have had no problems with them. With my recent modem (7 yrs old) I get Shaw Extreme and have had to reset it maybe twice since owning it. If you tend to download alot, then Shaw Extreme is the only way to go.
in all my time here i've never seen any hardware swap request denied, no matter how old/beat up the equipment is. so it's pretty safe to say if you buy a DCT or modem from Shaw it's a lifetime warranty

and for the wireless questions an interesting bit of news is that soon Shaw will be releasing a new DOCSIS modem with a built in wireless router. i have no details on what kind of router or even how everything will function, but it's causing quite a bit of stir within the company
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #45
TheU
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

**edit**
weird double post
TheU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #46
TheU
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My Shaw phone has gone down about as many times as Telus did when I had Telus for a landline.
if your power goes out you'll have 4 hours of stand by time for your phone service.

that being said i cant remember the last time i didnt have power for 4+ hours.

Quote:
and for the wireless questions an interesting bit of news is that soon Shaw will be releasing a new DOCSIS modem with a built in wireless router. i have no details on what kind of router or even how everything will function, but it's causing quite a bit of stir within the company
Yuck. I know that a lot of people love that kind of convenience... but for me I want to choose my own wireless router.
TheU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #47
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Doesn't Extreme cap out at 1.5MB/sec? That's the fastest I've ever got on mine.
Mine doesn't. Maybe it's because I'm in Cranston and there's a low popuplation of users, but I can top 3 mb/s at times, especially if I'm running multiple downloads at once.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #48
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
in all my time here i've never seen any hardware swap request denied, no matter how old/beat up the equipment is. so it's pretty safe to say if you buy a DCT or modem from Shaw it's a lifetime warranty
Weird. I've been having PVR problems for months, and I think the reps are allergic to dispatching a tech.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #49
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheU View Post
Yuck. I know that a lot of people love that kind of convenience... but for me I want to choose my own wireless router.
well no one will force you to use that new modem, they're still gonna support the standard models
Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #50
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
well you may want to pay a bit more attention to how much bandwidth you use in the future since Shaw plans to change their billing system, which will charge users per gigabyte if they go over the cap (no more AUP reps calling you and threatening to disconnect services)

Where did you read about this Hemi?(looks like you may work there I would think that they would have to provide a way for the customer to track bandwidth used per billing cycle before they tried charging for it like logging into my account via web browser to see the total usuage.

I agree with charging for over usage but they may want to rethink their limits with alot of game purchases going digital (14gb for MW2) I mean I buy a few games download a few more demos and bam cap hit.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #51
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Where did you read about this Hemi?(looks like you may work there I would think that they would have to provide a way for the customer to track bandwidth used per billing cycle before they tried charging for it like logging into my account via web browser to see the total usuage.

I agree with charging for over usage but they may want to rethink their limits with alot of game purchases going digital (14gb for MW2) I mean I buy a few games download a few more demos and bam cap hit.
they do, you can log into your account and see your usage through the Online Customer Care site. you may have to call into the TSR's to have them enable it though
Old 11-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #52
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
HAHAHAHA no, they won't rethink bandwidth caps, or only in as much as it puts them at a slight advantage on paper compared to their competitors. They will happily charge you whatever overages you incur to purchase your game.