Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #41
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
I once was trying to remove the stock cooling fan on my northbridge chip, and it had these one-way plastic pins holding it in that I didnt want to rip out for fear of damaging the brand new motherboard. So I took a long serrated kitchen knife to cut them off, and after cutting through the first pin, my knife blade carried forward through the new motherboard. 500$ gone before I'd even tried the board out

See y'all on the handi bus!
Did you at least try firing up the motherboard? Believe it or not, they can sometimes sustain some damage and be OK - a lot of the traces on a typical 4-layer board are ground planes, and you can survive with some of them not intact. In fact, I have an Athlon 64x2 6400 that is missing one pin, and its just a ground pin - chip still works because it has lots of other ground pins.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #42
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

No I don't think I did....It was my first time putting together a computer from scratch and I didnt want to waste a ton of time building something that I assumed would not work. It was a pretty good sized gash/crack, and I remember the store clerk also saying something about metal fillings from the knife causing short circuits or something?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #43
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #44
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This comes in handy for diagnosing network issues:

Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #45
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
This comes in handy for diagnosing network issues:

Sorry that's 220V only. I need something with a nema5-15 plug on it.

Last edited by Cliche; 05-23-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #47
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Wow... some people.

And could that thing get more barebones? Dear lord, onboard sound/audio, one stick of ram (probably 1 GB) and one hard drive, all on one cheap motherboard. Yuck.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #48
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

430 watt PSU though
Old 05-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #49
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took me a second to realized that the heatsink was on the side of the case and not the CPU.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #50
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have done this a couple times and it usually gets me into some trouble.

I'm having problems with a computer and I want to run it in safe mode, so I go into 'msconfig' and check off 'safe boot' and then restart the computer. But then I realize it is a networked computer and i'm pretty much screwed to log back into the computer to turn safe boot off. I can never remember how I do it or what I do but it usually takes me a good hour of screwing around to get back in to turn it off.

I think I have finally learned (wow...the first time I typed that out i spelled it 'lurned') my lesson and I have avoided using safeboot for the last while.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #51
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I have done this a couple times and it usually gets me into some trouble.

I'm having problems with a computer and I want to run it in safe mode, so I go into 'msconfig' and check off 'safe boot' and then restart the computer. But then I realize it is a networked computer and i'm pretty much screwed to log back into the computer to turn safe boot off. I can never remember how I do it or what I do but it usually takes me a good hour of screwing around to get back in to turn it off.

I think I have finally learned (wow...the first time I typed that out i spelled it 'lurned') my lesson and I have avoided using safeboot for the last while.
Why would anybody do this anyway? It takes much more effort to go run, msconfig, click the tabs, click safe boot checkbox, click okay, apply changes, okay after restart, restart, etc.

Just hit the darn restart button on your computer and hammer F8.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #52
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason I can never get into safe mode on startup. It's like a curse.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #53
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
For some reason I can never get into safe mode on startup. It's like a curse.
Or you could have one of those keyboards that has a F Lock key.. i.e. the function keys don't actually work as function keys until you press F Lock, so it never sees the F8.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #54
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love it when our network admin (note: not me) leaves MS Auto Update turned on. On servers. So they reboot almost randomly.

I understand he is busy and doesn't want to deal with updating all the servers individually, but that would sure beat the hell out of the random panicked calls from users that they systems have gone down or long running jobs that fail.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #55
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I love it when our network admin (note: not me) leaves MS Auto Update turned on. On servers. So they reboot almost randomly.

I understand he is busy and doesn't want to deal with updating all the servers individually, but that would sure beat the hell out of the random panicked calls from users that they systems have gone down or long running jobs that fail.
Auto update is on by default on Servers? Oh Microsoft...
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llama64 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #56
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a computer thing, but yesterday I hooked up a new deck in my truck. I carefully soldered everything together absolutely perfectly. Rock solid solder job and I got all the wires matched up correctly first time around.

But I forgot to put the shrink tube on before I soldered. So I had to cut them all, and do it again. What a bitch...

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #57
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Yesterday I was checking on a computer that was not reporting to the servers. I go over and find that the network cable is unplugged. I find one that is sitting in a rats nest of cables and follow it to the end. I take one end, put it in the NIC and the other in the wall port. Turns out that I followed the cable wrong and put the end into the wall port that was already plugged into a wall port so I created a loop. Took the entire network down for about 5 minutes until I realized what I did.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #58
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Not a computer thing, but yesterday I hooked up a new deck in my truck. I carefully soldered everything together absolutely perfectly. Rock solid solder job and I got all the wires matched up correctly first time around.

But I forgot to put the shrink tube on before I soldered. So I had to cut them all, and do it again. What a bitch...
Oh yes, done that before as well.

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #59
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is hilarious that a guy who builds his own computers thinks he can do something dumb.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #60
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I think it is hilarious that a guy who builds his own computers thinks he can do something dumb.
There is a reason Best Buy pays kids minimum wage to build computers in their back room. It's not rocket science.