Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #41
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The demo was pretty solid. I will probably be picking this one up along with a bunch of my friends to play multiplayer, at the very least. The multiplayer is supposed to be very very good.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #42
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Ok, if WhiteTom is going to play online I think it's only fair we start up a CP clan. Who's in?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #43
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Game should be out today. Unlike a lot of releases I'm fairly certain this one will actually be in Canada on release day. I went to Best Buy yesterday and they said they had 72 in stock but couldn't sell them even though they had the little vouchers out.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #44
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My wife bought my a christmas present at the sony store (?) so I've had a gift card in my wallet since december because they never get games in. I'm hoping they'll have some copies.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #45
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any idea how the clans and groups work in the game? I remember reading a review that said "more on this later" but didn't give any other information.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #46
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Haven't a clue unfortunately. I guess there should be some info out now ... perhaps I'll blow off work for the morning and just read user reviews.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #47
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Seems like there's only a few people on here even remotely interested in the game. Any reason for that?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #48
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just picked it. The demo was good but it didn't blow me away like I thought it would. Let's see how it goes. Supposedly multiplayer is where it's at, and when it's basically a mix of call of duty and team fortress I don't think you can go wrong.

Last edited by Human Torch; 02-27-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #49
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played the demo last night and was impressed but I dont think I'll be getting it right away. I have so many games that I havent finished or even touched and just bought FEAR 2 and Dead Space so I dont really want to add anymore until I finish atleast half of them.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #50
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTom View Post
Seems like there's only a few people on here even remotely interested in the game. Any reason for that?
I think it's totally overrated and overhyped in a genre that's completely overdone and stale. Watched the demo and HD videos. I don't see anything new or worthwhile. It's a scripted FPS with you against alien hordes on a generic industrial looking alien world. Where have I seen that before?

There's almost nothing in the FPS genre that isn't Soldier v. Other Soldiers/Alien Soldiers/Aliens/Zombies/Alien Zombies.

I've always thought a lot of console gamers, especially the younger generation who has never seen some of gems on PC over the last 10 years which don't fall into the above catagories, or otherwise does an amazing job have much lowered standards. I mean, Halo was such a huge hit but I'm betting few of them have ever heard of Starseige Tribes. And everybody was raving at how amazing Call of Duty 4 was but if you've played COD1 and COD2, you can just feel the game oozing the exact same AI scripts and gameplay style and then aside from the graphics, it really isn't groundbreaking or new. My little cousins were raving about how Halo was the best game EVER made and I was facepalming myself.

I'm just sick of console games not actually being innovative and just catching up to PC standards from a decade ago...and then being overhyped as so amazing and everything when there is nothing new there and I feel all this computing power can really be used to create more innovative worlds to explore and be in. Not just cookie cutter FPS's that haven't changed in a decade.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-27-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #51
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I think it's totally overrated and overhyped in a genre that's completely overdone and stale. Watched the demo and HD videos. I don't see anything new or worthwhile. It's a scripted FPS with you against alien hordes on a generic industrial looking alien world. Where have I seen that before?

There's almost nothing in the FPS genre that isn't Soldier v. Other Soldiers/Alien Soldiers/Aliens/Zombies/Alien Zombies.

I've always thought a lot of console gamers, especially the younger generation who has never seen some of gems on PC over the last 10 years which don't fall into the above catagories, or otherwise does an amazing job have much lowered standards. I mean, Halo was such a huge hit but I'm betting few of them have ever heard of Starseige Tribes. And everybody was raving at how amazing Call of Duty 4 was but if you've played COD1 and COD2, you can just feel the game oozing the exact same AI scripts and gameplay style and then aside from the graphics, it really isn't groundbreaking or new. My little cousins were raving about how Halo was the best game EVER made and I was facepalming myself.

I'm just sick of console games not actually being innovative and just catching up to PC standards from a decade ago...and then being overhyped as so amazing and everything when there is nothing new there and I feel all this computing power can really be used to create more innovative worlds to explore and be in. Not just cookie cutter FPS's that haven't changed in a decade.
you pretty much nailed it. Halo was hyped so much because it was better than any other console FPS, yet compared to the FPS games we've been playing on the PC for years it was simply mediocre. i also hate FPS games on the console because the controls suck, so i have no interest in Killzone 2. but from the previews i've seen, there doesn't seem to be anything innovate about it at all, same reason i hated Resistance 2 the little i played it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #52
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Can't really argue with that Hack, although I was pretty certain that I'd be seeing something along these lines based on what you've posted earlier. Some very good points in there.

I will be picking it up to try out the multiplayer almost exclusively, as it comes highly recommended I'm very curious to see how it is and because (as you said) the single player context is strained at best. By picking up a console FPS I will get to play with friends that don't play PC games.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #53
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTom View Post
Can't really argue with that Hack, although I was pretty certain that I'd be seeing something along these lines based on what you've posted earlier. Some very good points in there.

I will be picking it up to try out the multiplayer almost exclusively, as it comes highly recommended I'm very curious to see how it is and because (as you said) the single player context is strained at best. By picking up a console FPS I will get to play with friends that don't play PC games.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #54
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nevermind

Last edited by Human Torch; 02-27-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: talking fps only
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 PM   #55
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished the first mission.

Best FPS I've played since Half Life 2. I'm not a huge lover of the genre, I find they get stale and boring very fast. Killzone 2 is absolutely exhilarating though. No game has captured the feeling of war this well (maybe CoD4, but that would be about it). It helps that it's visually STUNNING as well. I'd go as far to call it the best looking game yet (and yes, I've played Crysis on a nice PC, computer nerds).

People slamming this most likely just don't have a PS3 and are mad they don't get to play it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 AM   #56
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So this over FEAR2 then?
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #57
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
So this over FEAR2 then?
You can watch somebody completely play through FEAR2 on Youtube if you want to see how it's like. Too tedious for me with mowing down like 1000 of the same looking replicant soldiers...then again, all these games are like that which is what I hate.

It's basically that with a few sequences with armored soldiers, slow motion, using some sort of mecha, etc...but mostly it's you fighting the same cookie cutter soldier hundreds of times over and over again...and then lots of paranormal spooks and wierd things happening every now and then to freak you out if you like that sort of thing.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-28-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #58
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
So this over FEAR2 then?
There's demos of both games you can download online.

Man, are there any recent shooters you do like like H&L?

Last edited by Human Torch; 02-28-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #59
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
There's demos of both games you can download online.

Man, are there any recent shooters you do like like H&L?
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow or Chernobyl is an absolute unheralded modern masterpiece when combined with Oblivion Lost to restore the content the developers didn't finish and to add more to the game.

Crysis absolutely stunning. If you want more than the standard game, there are custom maps that will blow you away.

Mirror's Edge is my favorite FPS of late...It's a breath of fresh air in a tired genre full of tedious shooting, especially since if you are creative, you can play it without ever having to even shoot anyone or even pick up a gun (even though they are there). It touches on the exploration and vicarious gameplay experiences I really want, but it could do more.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-28-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #60
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow or Chernobyl is an absolute unheralded modern masterpiece when combined with Oblivion Lost to restore the content the developers didn't finish and to add more to the game.

Crysis absolutely stunning. If you want more than the standard game, there are custom maps that will blow you away.

Mirror's Edge is my favorite FPS of late...It's a breath of fresh air in a tired genre full of tedious shooting, especially since if you are creative, you can play it without ever having to even shoot anyone or even pick up a gun (even though they are there). It touches on the exploration and vicarious gameplay experiences I really want, but it could do more.
Crysis apparently sucks. Yes it is visually amazing but I have heard from friends that the game actually sucks. For me Far Cry 2 comes to mind, it looks awesome, but the game itself is awful. It is fun for the first few missions, then you realize you have to travel to the other side of the map for EVERY mission, then you realize "Fack, this is boring as hell".
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote