Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #41
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like D'onofrio's character a lot. He was just a boy trying to get out of his father's shadow and was haunted and afraid but had some admirable goals with very questionable methods. He was apprehensive and timid personally with rage issues. Then everyone turned on him and his aspirations and he changed from the good hearted albeit misguided soul into the evil sociopath at the end of the season.

Some might not like how pouty and childish that he was through the beginning of the season, but it helped to illustrate that he is just that, a scared little boy that is scared of everything.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #42
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I would argue that he doesn't go from Fisk to Kingpin until the very last scene. I hope he gets better.

This is the moment. D'Onofrio is great in this. Even if you don't like his character pre-Kingpin, at least he has one. At least he doesn't want to shoot a blue laser into the sky and find some goofy jewel.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 05-13-2015 at 11:25 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #43
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that was a good speech, but then they had to go with the cheesy ending showdown where the hero is victorious, the bad guy feebly says "you really think this will change anything, you fool?" as he's being led away in handcuffs, cut to brooding hero standing on rooftop with dramatic backing music. They absolutely blew that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #44
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thoroughly enjoyed the first season. However, count me in for disliking the new costume. The whole metal eyebrows on a mask thing always looks ridiculous.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #45
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah that was a good speech, but then they had to go with the cheesy ending showdown where the hero is victorious, the bad guy feebly says "you really think this will change anything, you fool?" as he's being led away in handcuffs, cut to brooding hero standing on rooftop with dramatic backing music. They absolutely blew that.
I think comics are a victim of their own medium at times. The stories are very often wrapped up in a satisfying manner, or at least they could be. But then we have to have a big fight at the end. Why? Because it's the end and there has to be a big fight.

The final few episodes do go off the rails a bit, but overall, it's a really solid first effort. The tone and look of the show is great. This is actually a show that might be better watched in smaller doses, because the action beats and flashbacks can get a bit repetitive.

Fifteen years ago, this would've been the most popular show on television. At the very least, it would've been the most popular show on the WB.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #46
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I am on board with the ending being the big weak spot for this season.

Spoiler!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #47
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post

Spoiler!
I think your spoiler'd ending would've been a much better route to go.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #48
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yeah I agree the suit was pretty lackluster, I wish they had kept it a little more grounded, like the rest of the show. I've always hated the fake eyes that his suit usually has. Looks much more intimidating when you KNOW he can't see.

But I think the reason for the suit (he almost dies in like every episode from fight wounds) is justified in the show rather than it just being "You're a super hero, you need a costume!". It serves a functional purpose because you actually feel like he's in danger.
While knowing he can't see would be intimidating, I think the eyes are a big factor in the suit working as a disguise in addition to the body armour. It's too easy to make the leap from a blind hero beating up bad guys to the blind lawyer nosing around the edges of Fisk's operations. If people think Daredevil can see, they wouldn't believe a blind guy could do those things even if they had evidence slapping them in the face.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #49
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post

Spoiler!
Not sure if we really need spoilers here, but I don't want to be the one to ruin anything for people reading this thread before finishing the season, so:

Spoiler!
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #50
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure next season the enemy is going to be Hand, with the foreshadowing they already did in the first season. From that angle it makes sense to put Fisk away, so they can focus on a different enemy. They can always bring Fisk back when they need him.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #51
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
While knowing he can't see would be intimidating, I think the eyes are a big factor in the suit working as a disguise in addition to the body armour. It's too easy to make the leap from a blind hero beating up bad guys to the blind lawyer nosing around the edges of Fisk's operations. If people think Daredevil can see, they wouldn't believe a blind guy could do those things even if they had evidence slapping them in the face.
I would agree, but there have been much farther leaps in logic to keep a superhero's identity safe than something as small as eyes in the mask. Hell, for most of the series the "Man in the Mask" has multiple encounters with people who should, by all accounts, recognize him for this reason. There's no eyes on the black mask and he saves Karen in her apartment, he fights the guy who was his client for at least a few days, can't recall what else but I'm sure there's more.

Superman's glasses, the fact that Bruce Wayne is literally the only person who could possibly be Batman, Peter Parker's childhood best friends don't recognize his voice, etc... Lots of examples of leaps.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #52
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Finished it and I loved it. Don't share the same gripes with the ending but will admit that it was a bit predictable. Even though for the most part, the season was filled with twists and great stories. Character development was probably the thing that stood out the most to me. Every character, good or bad, felt like they had their own part. No chatacter was just tossed in there.

The fight scenes were also amazing, especially for a tv show.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #53
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

That hallway fight scene was one of the best TV fight scenes I've ever seen.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #54
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
That hallway fight scene was one of the best TV fight scenes I've ever seen.
I like how the guys weren't just one punch and down. I mean these are gangsters, right? Stands to reason they could take more a punch or two in a brawl. They just kept coming back. Love how it was all one shot too.

The fight scenes are definitely very impressive. More Bourne than superhero.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #55
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Spoiler!

I liked his suit at the end, not so much the mask though. I kept thinking his black mask made him look like a ninja turtle.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #56
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
Spoiler!

Why would we? Hasn't come to light yet. Only she knows.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #57
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished it last night. It started strong but limped to the finish with a bad suit and a worse ending. For standard modern day superhero screen adaptations it's good but only just better than mainstream cable attempts. Wesley was the strongest character and they killed him off which was annoying. He's probably the best evil henchman I've seen Luca Brasi. I won't bother with the second season.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #58
lifetime_flamesfan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I thought the whole season was really good. There seems to a number of people complaining about Fisk's character, but I feel that just like Murdock is growing into Daredevil, Fisk is growing into the Kingpin.

With that said, apparently this is a rumour for season 2

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainme...eye/ar-BBkIA7Z
lifetime_flamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lifetime_flamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #59
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetime_flamesfan View Post
I thought the whole season was really good. There seems to a number of people complaining about Fisk's character, but I feel that just like Murdock is growing into Daredevil, Fisk is growing into the Kingpin.

With that said, apparently this is a rumour for season 2

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainme...eye/ar-BBkIA7Z
Just saw FF7 and I think Statham would make a great villain in the MCU.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #60
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a great interview. Sounds like he is really excited to be a part of the universe is enjoying it.